Treble hook size question

Started by Capt. BassinLou, February 11, 2021, 01:20:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt. BassinLou

Hi gang, quick question for the group, I will be upgrading many of my jerkbaits stock treble hooks to Triple Grip Trebles. I always have a hard time remembering the size scale of these hooks. What size of treble are the common sizes for small to mid size jerk baits in the 2.75" to 4.5" range? Input would be greatly appreciated, as well as feed back on strong treble hook other than triple grip that I can find in bulk. Peacock bass mangle stock treble baits.   Thank you all in advance.  ~beer~

Smallie_Stalker

Triple Grips have been my treble of choice since they first hit the shelves. Generally, size 6 on the smaller baits and size 4 or 2 on larger baits. If you are using the short or extra short shanks you may be able to go up to one size larger but you have to be careful not to throw the bait out of balance. As always  little experimenting goes a long way here.  :-*

Hope that helps.

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

BassmanRudy

I'd probably stick to size 6 for that range but could go to 4s if the hooks wouldn't tangle or effect action. Send this guy an email as he has bulk Mustad and/or Gamakatsu hooks in 1x and 2x; short grip or regular just depends on what he has. .50 is the cheapest I've ever found and it supports a charity!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

"Rudy"
I use Mister Twister Baits!
www.mistertwister.com

Capt. BassinLou

loomisguy

6 would be right in most cases but man, I can't do the triple grips on a stickbait. 
If you like Gammy's the G finesse trebles are really good.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: loomisguy on February 11, 2021, 03:14:59 PM
6 would be right in most cases but man, I can't do the triple grips on a stickbait. 
If you like Gammy's the G finesse trebles are really good.

Loomisguy, did you mean to say, you couldn't do triple grips on a jerkbait? If so, how come? I like gammys as well, tx for the suggestion.

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: BassmanRudy on February 11, 2021, 02:41:19 PM
I'd probably stick to size 6 for that range but could go to 4s if the hooks wouldn't tangle or effect action. Send this guy an email as he has bulk Mustad and/or Gamakatsu hooks in 1x and 2x; short grip or regular just depends on what he has. .50 is the cheapest I've ever found and it supports a charity!

Thanks for that information Rudy. It's getting hard to find the regular shank Triple Grips.

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

BassmanRudy

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on February 11, 2021, 03:53:00 PM
Thanks for that information Rudy. It's getting hard to find the regular shank Triple Grips.
Not a problem!! I've ordered several different times from him and never any issues.

"Rudy"
www.mistertwister.com

Oldfart9999

6 and 4 are the most common, Triple Grips are my favorite. Capt. Hooks, IMO, has the best prices.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Oldfart9999 on February 12, 2021, 06:17:52 AM
6 and 4 are the most common, Triple Grips are my favorite. Capt. Hooks, IMO, has the best prices.
Rodney
Thank you sir!!

1ReelFanatik

Quote from: Bassinlou on February 11, 2021, 01:20:11 PM
Hi gang, quick question for the group, I will be upgrading many of my jerkbaits stock treble hooks to Triple Grip Trebles. I always have a hard time remembering the size scale of these hooks. What size of treble are the common sizes for small to mid size jerk baits in the 2.75" to 4.5" range? Input would be greatly appreciated, as well as feed back on strong treble hook other than triple grip that I can find in bulk. Peacock bass mangle stock treble baits.   Thank you all in advance.  ~beer~

All I've got to say is, "Man.  I wish I had that problem."   lo

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: 1ReelFanatik on February 12, 2021, 07:30:47 PM
All I've got to say is, "Man.  I wish I had that problem."   lo
Lol!! Got it.

loomisguy

Quote from: Bassinlou on February 11, 2021, 03:27:01 PM
Loomisguy, did you mean to say, you couldn't do triple grips on a jerkbait? If so, how come? I like gammys as well, tx for the suggestion.

Lou,  I think the triple grips are great when a bass is actually hooked in the mouth. For baits that get swatted like a stickbait or topwater I just can't do them. I've caught too many fish hooked on the outside of the mouth with a good ol round bend. That turned in point just bothers me.

loomisguy

Should have mentioned.. The G finesse is a good replacement hook on the Vision 110.. I personally stick with the factory Katsauge outbarbs  but some folks don't like them.
They are thin and brittle and I've been told that Megabass intended the bait to be used with a spinning rod and light line hence the light wire hook but they are sticky for sure.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: loomisguy on February 13, 2021, 04:55:08 AM
Quote from: Bassinlou on February 11, 2021, 03:27:01 PM

Lou,  I think the triple grips are great when a bass is actually hooked in the mouth. For baits that get swatted like a stickbait or topwater I just can't do them. I've caught too many fish hooked on the outside of the mouth with a good ol round bend. That turned in point just bothers me.

Appreciate the input, thanks!!

BassmanRudy

Capt Hooks has these kahle style 2x strong trebles on the discount list 100 for 10.15. Hard to beat that especially for peacocks.

500 for $40
1000 for $70.

"Rudy"
www.mistertwister.com

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: BassmanRudy on February 13, 2021, 08:18:31 AM
Capt Hooks has these kahle style 2x strong trebles on the discount list 100 for 10.15. Hard to beat that especially for peacocks.

500 for $40
1000 for $70.

Thank you sir!!

BassmanRudy

Mustad

"Rudy"
www.mistertwister.com

fishballer06

Hooks on a jerkbait is SUCH a finicky thing. Up here in our cold northern waters, the hooks alone can be the difference between getting bit or not. Wire diameter, size, extra split rings, suspen-dots, etc. are all things that guys will mess with in order to get the desired presentation they want.

A thicker wire diameter is heavier than a lighter wire, same with a bigger hook vs a smaller hook. All of this plays a factor in whether a jerkbait sinks, rises, or suspends in place depending on the water temperature. And then within all of that, you can play around with using one size or another on the front or back, to give you bait a nose up, nose down, or horizontal presentation in the water as the bait sits still.

All this being said, if you're serious about jerkbaits like most northern guys are, you're going to have a ton of different trebles in different sizes, materials, and wire diameters and you will even switch them out during the day to achieve the action that the fish want that day.
3rd place 2019 iBass - Cool Casters
2nd place 2019 iBass - Team Tournament

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: fishballer06 on February 16, 2021, 11:34:02 PM
Hooks on a jerkbait is SUCH a finicky thing. Up here in our cold northern waters, the hooks alone can be the difference between getting bit or not. Wire diameter, size, extra split rings, suspen-dots, etc. are all things that guys will mess with in order to get the desired presentation they want.

A thicker wire diameter is heavier than a lighter wire, same with a bigger hook vs a smaller hook. All of this plays a factor in whether a jerkbait sinks, rises, or suspends in place depending on the water temperature. And then within all of that, you can play around with using one size or another on the front or back, to give you bait a nose up, nose down, or horizontal presentation in the water as the bait sits still.

All this being said, if you're serious about jerkbaits like most northern guys are, you're going to have a ton of different trebles in different sizes, materials, and wire diameters and you will even switch them out during the day to achieve the action that the fish want that day.

I've read and heard the stories of the countless configurations jerkbait anglers go through in the chase of the bite. In my particular case, I'm just simply looking for a treble that's a little tougher than their stock counterpart. 

Oldfart9999

Short shank 2X will do the job.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

ohiobass