Frogging Spinning Reel?

Started by Capt. BassinLou, February 15, 2021, 01:47:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt. BassinLou

I know... I know.... but hear me out. If you had to choose a spinning reel for frogging duty on a stouter spinning rod, what reel would that be, and why? Go!!

Thanks in advance.  ~beer~

Capt. BassinLou

Let me add, the reel can't be too heavy, as light as it can get, but still handle the rigors of frog fishing in light to sparse cover with 30lb braid.

Mike Cork

To be brutal here, Gary's new Dobyns Spinning reel would be perfect for this.

I'm a Shimano fan other than that, so what every your budget would allow in the 2500 series. Should be strong enough yet light enough.

Hope you're thinking clients, all day frogging with a spinning reel is asking for some serious wrist and elbow issues.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Deadeye

I've seen quite a few guys on the River using a Spinning outfit with Frogs.

Didn't you go meet a member at 'poga a few years back for a Frogging Day and he used Spinning Tackle?

If Spinning is tough enough to handle running Drum, Redfish, Jacks, etc. it should be plenty tough enough for a Frog Bass.

I'd go with whatever your favorite company is in a model that matches the Rod for balance well. I'd think most 2500-4000 reels should do just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Mike Cork on February 15, 2021, 02:26:54 PM
To be brutal here, Gary's new Dobyns Spinning reel would be perfect for this.

I'm a Shimano fan other than that, so what every your budget would allow in the 2500 series. Should be strong enough yet light enough.

Hope you're thinking clients, all day frogging with a spinning reel is asking for some serious wrist and elbow issues.
Thanks for the info Mike, helpful. Sucks to hear that reel project was pushed back. 
Yes, I was thinking about those clients that are not well versed on a b/c but still want to enjoy the frogging experience on spinning gear.