Keeping a Rod

Started by FlatsNBay, February 20, 2021, 05:16:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlatsNBay

How long do you keep a rod before upgrading to a new one or upgrading to a newer version of the same rod that you've liked? I found that it's been several years before my last rod purchase and I've been very happy with all of my rods. Any time a new model or upgrade comes out, I wonder if I am missing out?

Bassinkorea

I'm still fishing with rods that are well over 10 years old. Generally I buy a new rod when I break one or when I'm looking for a more technique specific rod.
2020 IBASS Gold - Zone 2 - AOY
2020 IBASS Classic - Winner
2020 IBASS Team Tourney - Winner (with FD)

twocold

some of my loomis are well over 15 years old and still work for what I do

RangerAndBass

Call me a klutz, I've broke or bent eyes too many times and had to replace but other than that I haven't bought.
I do like some of the super light new spinning rods and talked myself into one I honestly didn't need.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic!

Capt. BassinLou

I hold on to rods for a long,,, long time. I only discard rods if they have broken in some way and they are upgraded. ;D If you enjoy your current lot of rods then stick with them, I say that, because if you get your hands on current rods, it will cost you a chunk of $$ to replace your current lot. The materials going into today's rods are unbelievable. How rod manufacturers have been able to produce light, strong rods, is impressive. Once you get your hands on these newer blanks and fish with them for a bit, you will be ruined!!  lo lo

RangerAndBass

Lou knows!!!!!!

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic!

Oldfart9999

When the new rod will help a great deal with my fishing.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Smallie_Stalker

Basically, if I feel a particular rod will help me do a job better than what I currently have I will plan an upgrade, but if possible will still keep the older rod as a backup.

I have new generation rods but I hold on to most rods unless I NEED to sell them or am donating to someone. I still have a couple of old All Star rods that I like to fish with when I can. And I have an old Pflueger Tim Horton model composite cranking rod that is still my favorite cranking rod for small squarebills and shallow divers.

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

SteveTX

Quote from: Bassinkorea on February 20, 2021, 05:19:24 PM
I'm still fishing with rods that are well over 10 years old. Generally I buy a new rod when I break one or when I'm looking for a more technique specific rod.
This is pretty much me.

I have went through a few rods and I agree the newer rods can change your fishing. I was having trouble with my arm and boy how a new light weight rod can change how long you can fish. And we all know the longer you can keep that lure wet the better your odds of catching.

zippyduck

I have rods that are over 10 years old and brand new ones. I never trade any in and only buy when I want or need a new one.
Sometimes I replace an old when when it is due. Meaning if it has been used up. I have a Sierra 734 that has thrown a spinnerbait for 5 years and needs replaced as it has been used for well over 100,000 casts. It is cracking around the guides and needs to be retired.
If I up grade a rod I usually donate the old one to a youth.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

apiazza

It definitely varies a lot with things like disposable income, time on water etc. As a bank and kayak fisherman it's really not practical to carry many rods so I've tried to only keep 6 or so combos that can cover wide ranges and now that I'm pretty confident with those setups I would only imagine occasional updates to rods/reels as needed. I've kept all the rods I've replaced so I have an emergency backup or something I can donate to friends/family.

The Rooster

Anybody ever replace one because it no longer feels like it did when you bought it? I'm currently experiencing a medium heavy that I've had for 11 years that now feels more like a medium than a medium heavy. I'm wondering if UV exposure and possibly a severe stress can cause that? Once fought a large catfish on it and it had the rod way over bent for most of the fight. I kinda felt like that took some of the stiffness out of it and now it's getting time for a replacement.

Otherwise I tend to hang onto mine for many years. I replace them when I find damage or discover some new rod that would work a lot better for whatever technique than the one I currently use for it. On average that usually ends up being about 4-6 years. The MH I mentioned above is the single exception to that, and I've kept it for so long simply because I've not found one yet that I like better or even as well for what it does. It's only recently I've realized it feels a little "soft" to me.

1ReelFanatik

I've purchased upgrades, but have never sold a rod.  I still need a few more rods to match the number of reels I have.   lo  I would still use the older rods, but am having trouble getting out enough to use the new ones.   ::)  Doesn't help that  ~cf around here sucks.