New Hook Brand! Victory!

Started by bigjim5589, February 22, 2021, 05:51:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigjim5589

The fine folks at Do It Molds sent me samples of a new hook brand, and they're one of the first dealers that will be carrying them. Thank You Do It Molds! Great company with excellent products!

The brand name is Victory, so for those of us who pour our own jigs & such, we have another option.

My first impression is good, nice looking hook, with black nickel finish, and appear to be a well made hook too. I sifted through a box looking to see how the eyes were closed, and didn't find any that were not closed well, which is sometimes a problem with some hooks currently on the market and IMO, a good indicator for the quality control. Time will tell if this will be normal!

What I received is two styles, but they will have others. They'll be comparable to Mustad or VMC, both of which are brands I use and are very good quality hooks IMO.

The only thing I'm not fond of is that they're made in China, but unfortunately, that seems to be something we're going to have to live with in the world today. Mustad hooks are also made in China, and VMC are made in France still.

This is the flat eye, fine wire hook typically used for Shakey Jig Heads and some other jig styles, and the Sickle style hook that has become very popular for Crappie jigs. I will be looking into their other styles too.

So, check them out at the Do It Molds website!  ;D

Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

bigjim5589

Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

bigjim5589

bigjim5589

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: bigjim5589 on February 22, 2021, 05:53:04 PM
Sickle hook profile.
Matzuo used to make a sickle hook like that. They were said to be super sharp.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

bigjim5589

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on February 22, 2021, 06:22:57 PM
Matzuo used to make a sickle hook like that. They were said to be super sharp.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Yes sir, I believe they're the one's that started the style, and others have picked up on it. Matzuo is no longer in business.

I've been using the Mustad version, which has been a good hook and Eagle Claw makes one, which is fine, but they often have quality control problems.  I have preferred the Mustad, and still have some of the Matzuo, so when I can, I'll use them both over the EC.

VMC also makes a version of this style, in their Barbarian jig hook, but unfortunately 2/0 is the smallest size that they produce. I like them, and wish they did make smaller sizes, so this new brand gives another option.  :)

SteveTX

Boy they picked a tough market to get into. No name recognition and other than a possibly a few small specific targeted styles there are generally many reputable names already available. 

I know you mentioned they were a China made hook but is it a American owned company? If so is it a new upstart or another huge corporation just doing this for tax write off?

Really really hard for me to get excited about anything from China. :surrender:  ~b~

bigjim5589

Quote from: SteveTX on February 22, 2021, 10:41:17 PM
Boy they picked a tough market to get into. No name recognition and other than a possibly a few small specific targeted styles there are generally many reputable names already available. 

I know you mentioned they were a China made hook but is it a American owned company? If so is it a new upstart or another huge corporation just doing this for tax write off?

Really really hard for me to get excited about anything from China. :surrender:  ~b~

Steve, I know what you mean about them coming from China, I feel the same. Unfortunately, there are various products now that are used for tackle making that are only being made in China, or where Chinese businesses have control. The silicone skirts we use are one such product. They're made in China or Vietnam, and no where else from what I've been able to find out.

From what the folks at Do It told me, this new hook brand is from people who have been involved with Mustad and may still be. I know at least one of the people that was mentioned, an American, Harry Simmons, and he's worked for Mustad for many years. He worked for Shorty's Hook Sales at one time, before going to Mustad and has a reputation as being a highly organized and knowledgeable man when it comes to sales & fishing, and the man knows as much about hooks as likely anyone on the planet. He had been involved with some of the design of many of Mustad's Ultra Point hooks.

When I had my first tackle business years ago, I dealt with Shorty's and Harry, and we had some great conversations. He really knows his stuff, and if I needed a hook, he knew if it existed or not. He is literally a walking encyclopedia of hook knowledge.  lo

It wouldn't surprise me if these hooks are being made in Mustad's China factory, but I don't know that to be the case.

I'm looking forward to seeing how these hooks work for tackle making and fishing.  I love the Japanese brands, but they've gotten very expensive and it's good to see another alternative, particularly since Matzuo is no longer in business. :)

BASSCATLILDAVE

D.W. Verts

Old School Bass Fishin', My Hickbilly Life, and Hickbilly Outdoors with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

chadyp

So I met the owner of the company at the Bassmasters Classic in FT Worth.  He has hired the right people and is putting everything he has into starting this company. I bought a few hooks from him and was wondering if anyone on here is willing to make me some jigs with these hooks.

Oldfart9999

I remember when Mustad were made an hour from here, I'm not sure if their headquarters are still there. Sorry to hear about EC going down hill in quality, I liked there black nickel hooks for a lot of my pouring.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.