Sierra Micro Series

Started by ShimmyDobs21, February 22, 2021, 06:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShimmyDobs21

What is different from the regular Sierra?

zippyduck

Just the micro guides. It is that simple.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

ShimmyDobs21

what are microguides best used for?

zippyduck

Micro guides are used to control the line feed. The smaller the guide the less line slap on the rod. This is supposed to feed the line smoother through the guides giving you more casting distance and more control. This is the thought behind them.
If you ever fish in freezing temperatures they become a major hindrance. They cause freeze ups on the guides a lot more often.
I you use a lot of leaders they become troublesome also, as the knot gets caught in them.

I am a northern fisherman with clear waters and freezing temps so I only have one rod with micro guides.

Princeton_Man

Microguides are lighter in weight and may slightly improve sensitivity due to more line contact. I prefer them on my soft plastics and jig rods. I try my best to avoid freezing water, but I've been there once or twice and like Zippy said, they can ice up and become a problem.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Capt. BassinLou

I have micro's on 2 of my custom rods. As the guys have mentioned already, there are some benefits when fishing with micro's. Fortunately for me, I don't deal with freezing water.  ~sun Zip did mention a good point, if you are a leader user, you may will need to be aware of what joining knot you are going to use. The standard joining knots may be problem due to the fact that they are bulkier knots, for example the double uni or modified alberto. You will feel the knot knocking thru each guide or depending on the line size, the knot may not be able to glide thru period. Either scenario, will effect the knot and lead to premature knot failure. If you still need to tie leader, then I recommend to look into the FG knot, trimmed tight. This knot I found will glide through micro guides, and spool guide perfectly fine without issues.

ohiobass

I could be wrong on this, but this is my opinion on micro guides.
since the micro guide rod actually has more guides on it than the "regular" guide rod, i would think that the number of "contact" points attached to that blank would change the "action/power" of the blank, compared to the "regular" blank rod......Who knows???

Gary Dobyns

The actions are all but identical between the regular and micro Sierras. I use a lot of guides on both. Totally honest here. Most of the things you hear about micro guides falls into the category I call marketing BS. We built a test machine for sensitivity in Korea to test this. Actually the regular guides tested out better. But it was so minute you couldn't tell the difference by feel, and no one else can either. It was testing to something like 1/10,000. I've hear guys say they are far more accurate. Again, I don't believe this. The one and only benefit I agree with is the guides are lighter and easier to balance out a rod. But, if you build the rod properly you'll use a bunch more guides to deal with line slap on the blank. I build a series of micros just for the guys that want them. As far as I'm concerned the negatives far outweigh any possible positives. The ice factor, the braid to floro knot factor, if fishing braid and cottonwood trees are blooming another factor, the guide feet are very small of course, so they don't take abuse well and guide foot breaks off, There's not much space on a guide foot to wrap to the blank, if not done very carefully or with a locking wrap the guide will slip out of the wrapping after some use. These are just some things to think about with micro guides.   

zippyduck

Gary,

That is where I was leaning as I've never noticed a difference in performance or sensitivity.