Bass Fishing Forum Bass Fishing Forum

Site Slogan

News: NEW FORUM! Yes, this is UB! Feedback HERE!

All Purpose Jig Rod

(Read 560 times)

BECOME A CHARTER MEMBER SUPPORT UB

hydrillagorillahunter

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
I've been researching an ideal all purpose jig rod that I'm willing to spend a pretty penny for.  Jigging, aside from swimjigs, is a technique I really haven't done too much of and wanted to focus more on it.  I have two rods eyed currently...Megabass Orochi/Levante Braillist and the Poison Adrena 7-3 MH reg-fast 3/8-1oz.  I'm really wanting for casting football and arky/pitching style jigs.  What I'm most curious about is the action of the rod for casting and bottom contact sensitivity.  The adrena reg-fast action did catch my eye for throwing 3/8oz jigs in the fall and winter for the slower presentation...softer tip for ideal casting, although conventionally the train of thought is softer tip...less sensitivity.  Again...looking into an all purpose solution that I can cast out a ways...into banks...skip under docks if needed etc...not really looking to solely pitch or flip.  I guess, in other words, if you could have only one jig rod...what would it be?  Thoughts?   

loomisguy

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
Your going to be hard pressed to cover that big of a range with 1 rod. But for say 3/8- 3/4 the NRX 894 is the best on the planet.

zippyduck

• Charter Member
  • Dobyns, Daiwa, LSCR, Nutech, Keitech, Yamamoto
Jig rods are generally faster and stiffer for the hooksets and sensitivity. Also for the use in weeds and around cover to get the fish out quicker.
I don't know about those rods you mentioned. I use the Dobyns jig rod special DC744c for everything from a 1/4 oz slider jig to 3/4 oz football heads. I can skip a 1/4 oz way up under a dock with it and even further with a 1/2 oz. I can pitch very quietly around cypress trees and fish a swimjig in hydrilla all day.
I believe a true Mh is not going to be enough rod in heavy weeds.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

BHenke

• Smallmouth
If money is not an issue take a look at the Kistler Z Bone. I just recently purchased my first Z Bone and I am amazed. For $150 less you can get a Kistler Helium that is built on the same blank and weighs the same around 3.5 ounces. These rods are awesome for bottom contact baits.

loomisguy

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
I'm going to have to try one of the new Z Bones as well.

FD

• Life Member
Not for nothing, but if yall are shopping in the $500 price range you really should be talking to custom rod builders.  I guarantee you will get more out of catching fish on a rod that you helped design.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Arti-FISH-ial Entertainment Guide Service
FDx Custom Rods                                   CPF Lures Pro Staff

earldogg

• Largemouth
  • BCR854-TP1SHL
G Loomis 854, 894, Kistler heavy power, length depends on what you prefer. 3/8-3/4oz jig.

apenland01

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
Not for nothing, but if yall are shopping in the $500 price range you really should be talking to custom rod builders.  I guarantee you will get more out of catching fish on a rod that you helped design.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I want to second this idea.

I got a FDx custom rod and used it today fishing with a guide doing some light weight jigging and it was absolutely amazing.  It is now my go to rod for anything light weight bottom contact, as well as my weightless fluke rod.  This is my first custom rod and I couldn't be happier with it.

I have a Dobyns Xtasy 755c for my heavier jigs used in deeper water or heavy cover and these two rods will cover everything I need to do with jigs or Texas rigs....

zippyduck

• Charter Member
  • Dobyns, Daiwa, LSCR, Nutech, Keitech, Yamamoto
I do love the Xtasy 755c for heavier jigs. Dragging points is its best use but also has the ability to do it all. 3/8 oz would be no problem with it.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

apenland01

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
I do love the Xtasy 755c for heavier jigs. Dragging points is its best use but also has the ability to do it all. 3/8 oz would be no problem with it.

Agreed.  I used the FDx yesterday with a 1/8 Texas rig.  The Xtasy 755 is what I use for my 3/8 or 1/2 jigs with a chunk/trailer dragging around bottom.

hydrillagorillahunter

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
appreciate the responses; had me looking into the varying suggestions.  i did impulse buy the adrena and daiwa rods soon after posting; admittedly do lack patience as i get older.  @loomisguy...agreed as far as fine-tuning to different techniques just with one rod.  i'm primarily fishing overhangs and laydowns and really not punching heavy grass so i basically stick to/prefer 1/2oz structure jigs and will throw football jigs MORE often during the fall transition as grass dies back.  skipping is needed on occasion with the overhangs, but wanted a great casting option as well to drag/hop transitions with distance casts.

i have yet to receive the adrena rod and went with the 7-2 heavy-fast option.  i did receive the daiwa 7-1 skipping rod heavy-fast rated for 1/4-1 1/4oz...and must say i'm impressed.  i got lucky lowballing on ebay and snagged the rod for $140 brand new.  the rod is lighter than expected and balances really well.  i spooled up with sunline structure FC 16#.  it's more sensitive than expected for $140 rod...not sure if the line is playing into that.  i do a lot of kayaking/bass raider10e fishing...so i'm liking this 7-1 rod.  haven't fished it yet but went out all setup to get a feel at a nearby pond as to how it casts/loads and balances...bottom sensitivity etc...  I'm so surprised at how well it feels my initial response was that I should've passed on the adrena rod. 

with regard to jig setups...really preferring strikeking structure jigs as they seem to come through grass better than other structure jigs from dirtyjigs and beastcoast to name a few which are outstanding as well.  the head design really is ideal on the denny brauer though...and really favoring 5" yamamoto double tail grubs...few samples below of beastcoast 1/2oz tungsten and strikeking 1/2oz. 

Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 02:37:51 PM by hydrillagorillahunter

T7Headturner

• Smallmouth
  • Toad
"Turnin' Frogs Into Toads"