Nolan Lake Ft. Hood Texas 7 Mar 21

Started by Donald Garner, March 07, 2021, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donald Garner

Greetings to everyone,

Final able to get out on the water 1st time this year.  I headed over to Nolan Lake on Ft. Hood for an afternoon trip.  I fished from 12 noon till 3:30pm I got tired of fighting that East Wind.

Nolan Lake on Ft. Hood, Texas.  You can click on the map to enlarge it.

Weather at Launch:
Blue Bird Skies 66 dgrs; Wind from the East at 10mphs; Humidity was 38%

Lake Conditions:
Clear to Murky; Water Temps ranged from 59 - 62dgrs depending on your location
Its been a long time since this lake was clear to murky.  It's usually stain to muddy.

I fished (4) areas of the lake during this trip.  I started out fishing the entire length of the dam's rip rap using a 1/2oz Red Rattle Bait without a strike.  I could see the fish suspended on my electronics.   My second location was the grass island.  The creek channel runs on the North side of the island and there's a huge flat on the South side of it.  After fishing the grass island I moved to the West end of the lake.  I fished the creek channel and around the stickups and dead reeds with a 3/8oz crawfish colored jig without a strike.  I finished up the trip fishing the North Banks with the spinnerbait without a strike.  That East wind did not cut me any slack today.

The wind had picked up and stay that way the rest of the afternoon.  I switched to a Modified 3/8oz Double Colorado Crawfish Colored Spinnerbait.  I fished the South side of the island first and managed to boat my first bass of the year.  I caught the only fish of the trip off the Southwest point of the island.  I was Slow Rolling that spinnerbait across that point.

Location where fish caught; Screen Shot of location; Lure used; 15 1/2inch  Nolan Lake Largemouth

Equipment used during this trip.

Rod> BPS Extreme 7ft (MH) casting rod:  Reel> Abu Garcia MaxZ 7.11 ratio Low Profile Baitcasting reel: Lure> Academy Wahoo 3/8oz Modified Double Colorado Crawfish Colored Spinnerbait:  Line> Berkley Big Game 20lb Clear Mono

Boat

2006 G3 1548 Alwed Jon Boat: Motor Guide Trolling Motors; Humminbird Piranha Max 4 Electronics
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard