New to bass fishing and want to buy 5 Rods and reels with a $1k budget

Started by lacofdfireman, March 12, 2021, 07:02:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lacofdfireman

I'm new to Bass fishing this year and am wanting to buy 5 more rods and reels to add to what I already have pieced together with no knowledge.  If possible I'd like to stay under $1000.  Since everyone on here knows way more than me I guarantee, what would be your choice of rods and reels.  Also be specific if possible.  Rod Length, weight and action and purpose (Drop shot, Carolina, soft plastics, jigs, cranks, underspin, swim baits etc)Also with reels how would you sort them out between bait casters and spinning setups.  And what retrieve speed would you want for Bait casters.

Also as far as line what would you use on each rod and reel setup?   Where I fish it's not uncommon to have 20+ft visibility at times. 

Any help appreciated.  I know this is asking a lot but I know also there are many who once came from where I am and now have experience and can maybe help me from making some expensive mistakes by setting me up right from the get go. 

I even bought me a cheap 2012 Bass Tracker 175TXW that should provide me with some good days on the reservoirs with my 2 boys around here where I live. 

Updated some additional information in a post down below. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Bud Kennedy

I think we need to know a little bit about you first.  Where are you, what are the predominant species of bass you are targeting.  Do you want to use casting or spinning equipment.  Is your water clear or stained and what depths will you be dealing with.  With this basic information folks could start to make some credible recommendations for you.  Getting the right tools is often an evolution and perhaps you may want to start with 2 or 3 combos at first and by then you will start to formulate more specifically what your requirements may be. 

BHenke

I am going to start out with the reels first then pair them with the rods. I see you may be a fireman and if you are I am pretty sure Dobyns rods does a first responder 30% discount which will put the Kadens and Sierras in your price range because of the money you will save on the reels I suggest.

1. Pfluger President Spinning reel $49.99 at BPS but you can currently get it for $39.99 with a reel trade in if you have a BPS local to you. I would pair this with a Dobyns KD 712SF for $119 with the 30% discount. This will cover Dartheads, Dropshot Rigs, Shaky Heads, Tubes & Gitzits.

2. Bass Pro Shops Pro Qualifier 2 Baitcast Reel in 6.8:1 gear ratio currently on sale for $79.97 but with a reel trade in is $64.97. I would pair this with a Dobyns KD610-4CB for $119 with the 30% discount. This will cover Jerkbaits, Squarebills, shallow crankbaits and light topwater.

3. Bass Pro Shops Pro Qualifier 2 Baitcast Reel in 6.8:1 gear ratio currently on sale for $79.97 but with a reel trade in is $64.97.  I would pair this with a Dobyns KD 735CB for $126 with the 30% discount. This will cover Crankbaits up to 5 XD, Rattle Baits, Larger Top Waters and Chatterbaits.

4.  Bass Pro Shops Pro Qualifier 2 Baitcast Reel in 7.5:1 gear ratio currently on sale for $79.97 but with a reel trade in is $64.97. I would pair this with a Dobyns KD 745C for $126 with the 30% discount. This will cover Jigs, Frogs, Pitchin', Small Swimbaits.

5. Bass Pro Shops Pro Qualifier 2 Baitcast Reel in 6.8:1 gear ratio currently on sale for $79.97 but with a reel trade in is $64.97.  I would pair this with a Dobyns KD 714C for $119 with the 30% discount. This will cover Carolina Rigs, Buzz Baits, Jigs, Spinnerbaits, Texas Rigs.

So the total on the five reels without the reel trade in comes out to around $370 and you are getting some quality reels for that price.

The total on the five rods if you qualify for the first responder discount is $609 and that is a great price for five high quality rods.

And for a grand total of $979 you get five high quality combos that will cover almost anything you will need to do.

Smallie_Stalker

It could help us if you told us a little more about the waters you will be fishing and the types of cover/structure they have.

There are a lot of good choices in your price range for rods and reels. For rods Dobyns Fury (about $119 - less on sale), BPS Carbonlites or Pro Qualifiers, Shimano SLX. The Shimano SLX and BPS rods also come in combos that will save you some $$$.

For reels there are a lot of really good ones out there for $100 give or take a little. For baitcasters The Daiwa Fuego or Tatula CT, BPS Pro Qualifiers, Shimano SLX. and even some of the Abu Grcias in this price range are all very decent reels for the money.

For spinning reels Shimano Saharas or Nascis are both excellent reels for short money. The Daiwa Fuego, BPS Pro Qualifiers and my personal favorites Pflueger reels. Pfluegers from the President up to the Supreme can all be had for under $100. They are real workhorses with excellent drags, solid construction and they last seemingly forever.

Just as a general snapshot for 5 rods I would say:

(1) 7'  - 7' 3" MH Fast action baitcaster as an all around multi-purpose rod.
(2) 7' - 7' 3"  M or MH Moderate action baitcaster for treble hook baits like cranks or topwaters.
(3)  7' 3" - 7' 6' Heavy power Fast or Extra Fast action to use as a Flippin' Pitchn' stick. This could double
                      as a frog rod and for fishing various baits in heavy cover.
(4) 7' to 7' 4" Medium power spinning rod for drop shots, etc.
(5)  7' to 7'4" Medium Light Power Spinning rod for presentations with an open hook like ned rigs,neko
                     rigs etc,

I'm sure others will chime in with some different options as well.  ~sun

Good luck in your quest and please keep us posted on what you decide on and how it all works out for you once you get a chance to put it all to the test.  :-*

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Donald Garner

Like Bud mention there are something you need to share with us.  Everything thing I've mention is what I use for bass fishing here in Texas and Louisiana. 

IMO there are several rods & reel combos you can get with the budget you have.  For me just getting back into this I'd look at the BPS during their Spring Sales.  Dobyns one of our Great Sponsors has an excellent line of rods in the Fury Series I'd be checking out.  Reels are like rods there's a lot of good durable brands out there that wont' break the bank.  I myself I like using Abu Garcia brand baitcasting reels. 

Rod lengths are going to depend on you and what your comfortable with.  Some guys like short rods some like long rods.  All my BPS rod are 7ft long; My Dobyns Fury's are all 7ft 3inches.  For the bait selection you mentioned I'd be looking for Medium Action rods for crankbaits; Medium Heavy for Drop Shot, Carolina rigs, Swim Baits (depending on size of the bait) and spinnerbaits;  Heavy Action for Soft Plastics flipping and pitching, jigs etc.; 

Reels I'm a baitcasting fisherman so I'd pick a brand I'd like and get their low profile reels in 5.3:1 to use for crankbait fishing; 6.4:1 > 8.0:1 for everything else.

Line myself I general use Berkley Big Game Clear Mono for all my fishing needs.  For Crankbaits I use 12 - 15lb test.  For everything else I use Berkley Big Game 20lb test Clear Mono.  Once in a while if I'm fishing in a tournament I'll spool up my Flipping and Pitching combo with 20lb Seaguar Red Label Fluorocarbon Line.

Hope this helps.  Good luck in getting back into Chasing those Green and Brown fish.  BTW that's a nice looking Tracker Boat you got there also.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Smallie_Stalker

lacofdfireman

Thank you for all the replies thus far.  I live in St. George Utah.  Southern end of the state.  We have Sand Hollow Res, Quail Lake and Gunlock all within 30 minutes of me.  All of them are clear water lakes for the most part with rocky bottoms and shores with grass and rock bottoms.   Currently water temps the past 2 months have been 40-46 maybe 48 degrees and I've been catching most at 30ft.  But spring and summer that will all change as well see water temps hit close to 80 in the dead of summer.  Not a lot of trees, stumps or weed beds.  I also plan to fish Lake Mead and Lake Mohave as well as Lake Powell.  I'll fish locally 95% of the time though.   I'll be targeting Large and Small mouth Bass for sure. 

I should also mention that I have been already buying some gear but I've done this with almost no guidance and so I, not even sure if what I have is paired up right or even of good quality.  I do know I'd like to buy at least 3 quality bait casters but not sure which ones.   I'll show you what I got as far as current inventory and maybe you can tell me if I should pair a rod and reel differently.  Well that might not work as all 6 of my current spinning reels are Pflueger President 30's so I guess you can't really swap those around.     I bought my boat about 2 months ago and have just been piecing all this together as I go.  I also have 2 sons I fish with thus the want for more stuff.   So I'd like the next 5 rods and reels to be the ones I'll use most the time.  Here it goes. 

Bait casters first:

1.  Abu Garcia ProMax 7.1:1 paired with a Fenwick HMG 7'MH Fast
2.  Lew's Speed Spool Laser 6.4:1 Rod is an American Hero 7' MH Fast.  This was a cheap $130 combo

Spinning setups:

The reels are easy.  I have 6 Pflueger President reels.  Size 30 on all of them.  Some of these were from my trout fishing days and I've always just really liked them so figured they should also work for bass fishing. 

Rods for the President reels

Shimano SLX 7' M Extra fast
Shimano SLX 7' MH Fast

Favorite Defender 7'3 doesn't say a weight but shows a line weight of 6lb to 14lb with a fast action tip

Abu Garcia Veritas 7' Medium but doesn't show a taper speed
Abu Garcia Veritas 7' Medium Heavy and doesn't show a taper speed

BPS Tourney Special 6'6" MH Fast

lacofdfireman

Quote from: Bud Kennedy on March 12, 2021, 08:03:43 PM
I think we need to know a little bit about you first.  Where are you, what are the predominant species of bass you are targeting.  Do you want to use casting or spinning equipment.  Is your water clear or stained and what depths will you be dealing with.  With this basic information folks could start to make some credible recommendations for you.  Getting the right tools is often an evolution and perhaps you may want to start with 2 or 3 combos at first and by then you will start to formulate more specifically what your requirements may be.

Thank you.  Hopefully I included the right stuff below to get some more solid advice.

lacofdfireman

Quote from: BHenke on March 12, 2021, 08:14:53 PM
I am going to start out with the reels first then pair them with the rods. I see you may be a fireman and if you are I am pretty sure Dobyns rods does a first responder 30% discount which will put the Kadens and Sierras in your price range because of the money you will save on the reels I suggest.

1. Pfluger President Spinning reel $49.99 at BPS but you can currently get it for $39.99 with a reel trade in if you have a BPS local to you. I would pair this with a Dobyns KD 712SF for $119 with the 30% discount. This will cover Dartheads, Dropshot Rigs, Shaky Heads, Tubes & Gitzits.

2. Bass Pro Shops Pro Qualifier 2 Baitcast Reel in 6.8:1 gear ratio currently on sale for $79.97 but with a reel trade in is $64.97. I would pair this with a Dobyns KD610-4CB for $119 with the 30% discount. This will cover Jerkbaits, Squarebills, shallow crankbaits and light topwater.

3. Bass Pro Shops Pro Qualifier 2 Baitcast Reel in 6.8:1 gear ratio currently on sale for $79.97 but with a reel trade in is $64.97.  I would pair this with a Dobyns KD 735CB for $126 with the 30% discount. This will cover Crankbaits up to 5 XD, Rattle Baits, Larger Top Waters and Chatterbaits.

4.  Bass Pro Shops Pro Qualifier 2 Baitcast Reel in 7.5:1 gear ratio currently on sale for $79.97 but with a reel trade in is $64.97. I would pair this with a Dobyns KD 745C for $126 with the 30% discount. This will cover Jigs, Frogs, Pitchin', Small Swimbaits.

5. Bass Pro Shops Pro Qualifier 2 Baitcast Reel in 6.8:1 gear ratio currently on sale for $79.97 but with a reel trade in is $64.97.  I would pair this with a Dobyns KD 714C for $119 with the 30% discount. This will cover Carolina Rigs, Buzz Baits, Jigs, Spinnerbaits, Texas Rigs.

So the total on the five reels without the reel trade in comes out to around $370 and you are getting some quality reels for that price.

The total on the five rods if you qualify for the first responder discount is $609 and that is a great price for five high quality rods.

And for a grand total of $979 you get five high quality combos that will cover almost anything you will need to do.

Wow. That's some perfect information.   Exactly what I'm looking for.   Very descriptive.  Thanks for the time and effort.  And yes I am a Fireman.  I'll have to look into the first responder discount. 

lacofdfireman

Quote from: Donald Garner on March 12, 2021, 08:15:17 PM
Like Bud mention there are something you need to share with us.  Everything thing I've mention is what I use for bass fishing here in Texas and Louisiana. 

IMO there are several rods & reel combos you can get with the budget you have.  For me just getting back into this I'd look at the BPS during their Spring Sales.  Dobyns one of our Great Sponsors has an excellent line of rods in the Fury Series I'd be checking out.  Reels are like rods there's a lot of good durable brands out there that wont' break the bank.  I myself I like using Abu Garcia brand baitcasting reels. 

Rod lengths are going to depend on you and what your comfortable with.  Some guys like short rods some like long rods.  All my BPS rod are 7ft long; My Dobyns Fury's are all 7ft 3inches.  For the bait selection you mentioned I'd be looking for Medium Action rods for crankbaits; Medium Heavy for Drop Shot, Carolina rigs, Swim Baits (depending on size of the bait) and spinnerbaits;  Heavy Action for Soft Plastics flipping and pitching, jigs etc.; 

Reels I'm a baitcasting fisherman so I'd pick a brand I'd like and get their low profile reels in 5.3:1 to use for crankbait fishing; 6.4:1 > 8.0:1 for everything else.

Line myself I general use Berkley Big Game Clear Mono for all my fishing needs.  For Crankbaits I use 12 - 15lb test.  For everything else I use Berkley Big Game 20lb test Clear Mono.  Once in a while if I'm fishing in a tournament I'll spool up my Flipping and Pitching combo with 20lb Seaguar Red Label Fluorocarbon Line.

Hope this helps.  Good luck in getting back into Chasing those Green and Brown fish.  BTW that's a nice looking Tracker Boat you got there also.

Thank you so much.  I appreciate your time.  Great info. 

lacofdfireman

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on March 12, 2021, 08:14:59 PM
It could help us if you told us a little more about the waters you will be fishing and the types of cover/structure they have.

There are a lot of good choices in your price range for rods and reels. For rods Dobyns Fury (about $119 - less on sale), BPS Carbonlites or Pro Qualifiers, Shimano SLX. The Shimano SLX and BPS rods also come in combos that will save you some $$$.

For reels there are a lot of really good ones out there for $100 give or take a little. For baitcasters The Daiwa Fuego or Tatula CT, BPS Pro Qualifiers, Shimano SLX. and even some of the Abu Grcias in this price range are all very decent reels for the money.

For spinning reels Shimano Saharas or Nascis are both excellent reels for short money. The Daiwa Fuego, BPS Pro Qualifiers and my personal favorites Pflueger reels. Pfluegers from the President up to the Supreme can all be had for under $100. They are real workhorses with excellent drags, solid construction and they last seemingly forever.

Just as a general snapshot for 5 rods I would say:

(1) 7'  - 7' 3" MH Fast action baitcaster as an all around multi-purpose rod.
(2) 7' - 7' 3"  M or MH Moderate action baitcaster for treble hook baits like cranks or topwaters.
(3)  7' 3" - 7' 6' Heavy power Fast or Extra Fast action to use as a Flippin' Pitchn' stick. This could double
                      as a frog rod and for fishing various baits in heavy cover.
(4) 7' to 7' 4" Medium power spinning rod for drop shots, etc.
(5)  7' to 7'4" Medium Light Power Spinning rod for presentations with an open hook like ned rigs,neko
                     rigs etc,

I'm sure others will chime in with some different options as well.  ~sun

Good luck in your quest and please keep us posted on what you decide on and how it all works out for you once you get a chance to put it all to the test.  :-*

Thank you very much for the info.  Good to know the BPS stuff is decent.  Planning on stopping in at the Vegas store tomorrow night and having a look to see if any of their spring sale stuff is worth buying.

BHenke

And yes I am a Fireman.  I'll have to look into the first responder discount. 
[/quote]

You have to call Dobyns directly at the shop to see what kind of information they need from you to qualify for the discount.  They are only open M-F so don't bother trying to call this weekend. Remember that you will pay a shipping fee of $25 but if you order multiple rods with your discount you only pay for one shipping fee per shipping tube not per rod.

geneinnc

Quote from: lacofdfireman on March 12, 2021, 07:02:22 PM
I'm new to Bass fishing this year and am wanting to buy 5 more rods and reels to add to what I already have pieced together with no knowledge.  If possible I'd like to stay under $1000.  Since everyone on here knows way more than me I guarantee, what would be your choice of rods and reels.  Also be specific if possible.  Rod Length, weight and action and purpose (Drop shot, Carolina, soft plastics, jigs, cranks, underspin, swim baits etc)Also with reels how would you sort them out between bait casters and spinning setups.  And what retrieve speed would you want for Bait casters.

Also as far as line what would you use on each rod and reel setup?   Where I fish it's not uncommon to have 20+ft visibility at times. 

Any help appreciated.  I know this is asking a lot but I know also there are many who once came from where I am and now have experience and can maybe help me from making some expensive mistakes by setting me up right from the get go. 

I even bought me a cheap 2012 Bass Tracker 175TXW that should provide me with some good days on the reservoirs with my 2 boys around here where I live. 

Go fishing with someone like me, that carries 2 of everything made! If your near Hickory, NC I'll take you out and you can try them out.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

coldfront

from photos, and from the into post, appears the fishing lakes are Powell (big desert impoundments - see the post on 21 foot boats).

at least two spinning rods would seem to come to mind.  you'll have to figure out preferred length, but something in the 7 foot range makes most sense.  get something that can handle various weights and lines in the 6 - 8 lb class (as far as ratings go).  my preferences lean to fast/xfast actions, graphite for sensitivity.

from the photo, and the conversation, dealing with 20 foot visibility, that's where I'd probably start.  might even go to three spinning set ups?

that'll save $$ up front and let you look a little higher on the baitcasters.  again, longer rods are my preference.  folks on here will steer you to dobyns (and you can't go wrong).  I have a stable full of Powells (influenced by the guy who makes the dobyns rods) and the powell max (composit) 755CB is an amazing and amazingly versatile rod.  I toss 1/4 oz poppers, squarebills, medium depth and deep diving cranks on it.  handles spinnerbaits, jerbaits well too.  I do like to move to the 765 Max SBR rod.  great for bottom bouncing baits, smaller swimbaits (not the west coat giants) up to 5-6 inches.

don't fixate on the maker of the rod (in my post), but take a look at them see if the description, actions make sense to you, and then find a manufacture, similar model.

if I'd have started with Dobyns, I'd have 20 of those rods.  Instead I have 20 of the Powells.  and my spinning rods are shimano.  lots of great rods out there.  consider your primary applications and the actions/power that will support what you want to do.

also consider versatility.  YOU can change how you fish each rod and make it work just fine.  with limited storage space, $$, you can get a lot of stuff that will be a TON of fun.

lacofdfireman

Quote from: geneinnc on March 13, 2021, 09:26:32 AM
Quote from: lacofdfireman on March 12, 2021, 07:02:22 PM

Go fishing with someone like me, that carries 2 of everything made! If your near Hickory, NC I'll take you out and you can try them out.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

That would be awesome.  I'd love that.

lacofdfireman

Quote from: coldfront on March 13, 2021, 11:38:48 AM

from photos, and from the into post, appears the fishing lakes are Powell (big desert impoundments - see the post on 21 foot boats).

at least two spinning rods would seem to come to mind.  you'll have to figure out preferred length, but something in the 7 foot range makes most sense.  get something that can handle various weights and lines in the 6 - 8 lb class (as far as ratings go).  my preferences lean to fast/xfast actions, graphite for sensitivity.

from the photo, and the conversation, dealing with 20 foot visibility, that's where I'd probably start.  might even go to three spinning set ups?

that'll save $$ up front and let you look a little higher on the baitcasters.  again, longer rods are my preference.  folks on here will steer you to dobyns (and you can't go wrong).  I have a stable full of Powells (influenced by the guy who makes the dobyns rods) and the powell max (composit) 755CB is an amazing and amazingly versatile rod.  I toss 1/4 oz poppers, squarebills, medium depth and deep diving cranks on it.  handles spinnerbaits, jerbaits well too.  I do like to move to the 765 Max SBR rod.  great for bottom bouncing baits, smaller swimbaits (not the west coat giants) up to 5-6 inches.

don't fixate on the maker of the rod (in my post), but take a look at them see if the description, actions make sense to you, and then find a manufacture, similar model.

if I'd have started with Dobyns, I'd have 20 of those rods.  Instead I have 20 of the Powells.  and my spinning rods are shimano.  lots of great rods out there.  consider your primary applications and the actions/power that will support what you want to do.

also consider versatility.  YOU can change how you fish each rod and make it work just fine.  with limited storage space, $$, you can get a lot of stuff that will be a TON of fun.

Thank you.  Looking at a weighing all my options.  Going to look more into the Dobyns as I know nothing about them. 

Dink Dawg

I would recommend the same thing as I do for the SAF anglers in my bass club.

Dobyns Fury 705CB
Dobyns Fury 703C
Dobyns Fury 734C
Dobyns Fury 735C
Dobyns Fury 703SF

Daiwa Fuego CT 6.4 x 3
Daiwa Fuego CT 7.1
Daiwa Regal LT 3000

119.99 x 5   Equals $599.95
99.99 x 4.   Equals $399.96
59.99 x 1.   Equals. $ 59.99

Total.                      $1059.90

I can think of no better value and performance in a five combo group than this.

zippyduck

Quote from: Dink Dawg on March 16, 2021, 01:08:10 AM

Dobyns Fury 705CB
Dobyns Fury 703C
Dobyns Fury 734C
Dobyns Fury 735C
Dobyns Fury 703SF

Daiwa Fuego CT 6.4 x 3
Daiwa Fuego CT 7.1
Daiwa Regal LT 3000

That is a great starter kit. We need to make this a sticky.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: zippyduck on March 16, 2021, 05:11:58 AM

Dobyns Fury 705CB
Dobyns Fury 703C
Dobyns Fury 734C
Dobyns Fury 735C
Dobyns Fury 703SF

Daiwa Fuego CT 6.4 x 3
Daiwa Fuego CT 7.1
Daiwa Regal LT 3000

That is a great starter kit. We need to make this a sticky.
X2 !!!

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

CouchTater

I would suggest taking a look at SixGill Products!

They have Rod and Reel BOGO deals from time to time. I was skeptical of their products at first, especially with the BOGO deals they have. That was until I got my hands on one of their rods!
I bought a Kranken 7'4" Medium rod from a local guy and paired it with of of their Hamarr casting reels, it is now my go to square bill set up! The Hamarr is so smooth casting and their brake system in this reel practically eliminates backlashes. You can sling a lure a country mile and the spool will stop when it hits the water. 

I had sold all of my older equipment several years ago when my kids were younger. I took advantage of the BOGO deals and replenished my arsenal with six casting rods and reels, a spinning rod and reel, plus tax and Fed Ex shipping was 1,053.94 across four orders total.

@BamaBass Twitter
@BamaBass78 Instagram

lacofdfireman

Well I cheaped out and bought 4 Shimano SLX bait caster combos for under $500.  Rods were different weights and lengths.   Figured they should be good enough for the amount I fish.  Right now I'm happy to go out 2-3 days per month.  Sometimes not even that often.  Thank you everyone for your suggestions.  If I get to where I'm going out more often then I'm going to start buying a Donbyns rod every month or so until I have a good collection of them.  Really impressed with the Fury line from Dobyns.

lacofdfireman

Dobyns Fury 705CB
Dobyns Fury 703C
Dobyns Fury 734C
Dobyns Fury 735C
Dobyns Fury 703SF

Daiwa Fuego CT 6.4 x 3
Daiwa Fuego CT 7.1
Daiwa Regal LT 3000

Just ordered this entire 5 Rod combo you suggested.  Thank you so much.  I'm going to pair them up with Shimano SLX baitcasters though and Pflueger President Spinning reels.   Looking forward to trying some Dobyns Rods.  Thanks for the help. 

Smallie_Stalker

QuoteJust ordered this entire 5 Rod combo you suggested.  Thank you so much.  I'm going to pair them up with Shimano SLX baitcasters thought and Pflueger President Spinning reels.   Looking forward to trying some Dobyns Rods.  Thanks for the help. 

Congrats. You will not be disappointed.  ~c~

But be aware that once you purchase Dobyns rods they have a way of multiplying like rabbits.  ;) ~shade lo

lacofdfireman

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on April 26, 2021, 01:50:19 PM
QuoteJust ordered this entire 5 Rod combo you suggested.  Thank you so much.  I'm going to pair them up with Shimano SLX baitcasters thought and Pflueger President Spinning reels.   Looking forward to trying some Dobyns Rods.  Thanks for the help. 

Congrats. You will not be disappointed.  ~c~

But be aware that once you purchase Dobyns rods they have a way of multiplying like rabbits.  ;) ~shade lo

Well I won't be opposed to that if they are as good as everyone says.   Super excited to try them all out. 

caddyjoe77

if i may, dont skimp on the flourocarbon.  It will make your experience that much better. 

What i mean is, dont buy the red label seagar.  Yuck.  Something far better IMO and the same money is viscious, berkely flouro, the BPS flouro is decent, K9 is great, Tatsu is great but expensive, Sunline sniper is good too.  Personally, i fish mostly braid in AL but a couple applications I use flouro and mono (topwater, spinning setups, skipping setup because braid doesnt skip worth crap IMO)

on those spinning setups watch a couple videos on the proper spooling of a spinning reel -- that alone will help you and reduce you possible frustrations.

most importantly, have fun!!
BeerMe