Looking at a 96 Procraft 200 Bass Opinion wanted.

Started by lacofdfireman, April 03, 2021, 01:21:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lacofdfireman

Looking to upgrade from a tracker 175TXW.  Want a larger boat with a bigger front deck an more horse power.  The 60hp isn't cutting it anymore.  Looking at a 96 Procraft 200 Bass that appears to be in great condition.   200 HP EFI Mercury and a Ultrex trolling motor with 2 9" Garmin graphs.  Asking $17k.  I just don't know anything about Procraft as far as issues, quality etc.  Is the price inline with today's crazy market?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Bud Kennedy

You have been down this road before.  The price they are asking is in my opinion way high.  This boat is likely to bring about 12K max here in South Carolina and it would have to have a fully inspected motor to even consider it as an option.

If you could provide additional information about the age and status of the motor it would be helpful.  An old boat is all about the Motor and also about hull condition especially in the area of the transom.  Procraft was a decent boat but no longer made.  Depending upon your motor vintage that too is likely a problem. Potentially you are considering a money pit if you are not careful. 

lacofdfireman

Quote from: Bud Kennedy on April 03, 2021, 01:45:01 PM
You have been down this road before.  The price they are asking is in my opinion way high.  This boat is likely to bring about 12K max here in South Carolina and it would have to have a fully inspected motor to even consider it as an option.

If you could provide additional information about the age and status of the motor it would be helpful.  An old boat is all about the Motor and also about hull condition especially in the area of the transom.  Procraft was a decent boat but no longer made.  Depending upon your motor vintage that too is likely a problem. Potentially you are considering a money pit if you are not careful.

Thank you for your reply.  The boat looks to be in good condition but you know the saying you can put lipstick on a pig but it's still a pig.  Not saying this is a pig but it's older and anytime you buy something this old your taking a chance.  I just wasn't sure of the quality etc of Procraft boats.  It checks all my boxes with what I'm looking for but just unsure of the brand and reputation.   

Here is a pic of the ad. 

Donald Garner

That is a nice looking boat there.  The price sounds a little high for the age of the boat though.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

FD

That is about twice what that boat is book valued at.  Procraft made a solid boat.  Not a fast hull but a good fishing platform.  Most companies made good stuff back then.  However, it's s a 25 year old boat.   Sooner or later everything from wiring to pumps to switches to motor will have to be replaced.  If you pay asking price it will not belong before you have 30k or more in that particular hole in the water.  Just so you know.

It's worth what someone is willing to pay for it. 

It's pretty but.....

FDx Custom Rods
Arti-FISH-ial Entertainment
CPF Lures

Arti-FISH-ial Entertainment Guide Service
FDx Custom Rods                                   SwampCat Boat Works

lacofdfireman

Quote from: FD on April 03, 2021, 02:30:05 PM
That is about twice what that boat is book valued at.  Procraft made a solid boat.  Not a fast hull but a good fishing platform.  Most companies made good stuff back then.  However, it's s a 25 year old boat.   Sooner or later everything from wiring to pumps to switches to motor will have to be replaced.  If you pay asking price it will not belong before you have 30k or more in that particular hole in the water.  Just so you know.

It's worth what someone is willing to pay for it. 

It's pretty but.....

FDx Custom Rods
Arti-FISH-ial Entertainment
CPF Lures

Ya that is what scares me about buying any boat this old. 

Bud Kennedy

Just sow the pics.  Seems unusual for a 20' boat to be on a single axle trailer.  Also, don't sweat all the cosmetic stuff it will still boil down to the motor.  A new motor would cost you another 18-20K.  You can't bet too comfortable with a motor that old.  Believe me when I tell you I have first hand experience with old motors.  My honest recommendation would be a polite no thank you at 19K

lacofdfireman

Quote from: Bud Kennedy on April 03, 2021, 03:35:58 PM
Just sow the pics.  Seems unusual for a 20' boat to be on a single axle trailer.  Also, don't sweat all the cosmetic stuff it will still boil down to the motor.  A new motor would cost you another 18-20K.  You can't bet too comfortable with a motor that old.  Believe me when I tell you I have first hand experience with old motors.  My honest recommendation would be a polite no thank you at 19K

I was wrong on the price it's $17k not $19k but still a little high in my opinion.   My problem is trying to find something decent in my under $20k price range.  I do like that this one has 2 decent graphs and an Ultrex TM.

Do you think it would be worth $14k.   Is the Procraft 20 known as being a solid boat?

Bud Kennedy

Frankly it is too old of a boat and motor.  If you have plenty of money to spend in what may the fairly near future I guess it would be ok but $14K might be good for you folks on the west coast.  I strongly suggest having the motor checked out by a reputable mercury dealer before making an offer.  I still think you could do better with a more modern boat and motor but then again I have no idea what the market place is like in your neck of the woods.  Here in South Carolina we kinda live in the cheap seats and things are quite a bit more reasonable.

lacofdfireman

In your opinion what would be a better choice in my Sub $20k budget and 20+ feet long.   Thanks. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bud Kennedy

You should be able to find something in the 2014 age range like a triton TR21X.  I have attached a link for you just to show a boat here in the east that would be something you should strive to look for.  A boat like this will certainly meet your needs as described.  I am sure there are plenty of these available in the western states.  you just have to be patient and take your time to find "The One"

https://www.anglerschoicemarine.com/default.asp?page=xPreOwnedInventoryDetail&id=10230276&p=2&vc=bass&s=(Sort%20By)&d=D&fr=xPreownedInventory

lacofdfireman

Quote from: Bud Kennedy on April 03, 2021, 07:03:04 PM
You should be able to find something in the 2014 age range like a triton TR21X.  I have attached a link for you just to show a boat here in the east that would be something you should strive to look for.  A boat like this will certainly meet your needs as described.  I am sure there are plenty of these available in the western states.  you just have to be patient and take your time to find "The One"

https://www.anglerschoicemarine.com/default.asp?page=xPreOwnedInventoryDetail&id=10230276&p=2&vc=bass&s=(Sort%20By)&d=D&fr=xPreownedInventory

That's a 2004 not a 2014.  .  And also $24k.  Above my budget. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro