Bang for your buck in 4 powers

Started by zippyduck, April 04, 2021, 04:07:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zippyduck

I finally have my hands on a Kaden 744c and pulled out all my other 4 power casting rods to compare.

The list:

DC744c
DC734c
SA734c
KD744c
Let us start with the Champ 734c, The Original 734 power that was designed for spooks. Well it became the most versatile rod in the line-up and gained a huge popularity.
Ok what I love about this rod is it can go from a moving bait to a bottom contact rod and still do most techniques well and that has been built into most of the other 4 power models. The DC734c is a sensitive rod with good backbone but also a very nice tip action for casting and keeping fish pinned.
I use this rod mainly now as a buzzbait, toad, and t-rig rod.

Now how does the SA734c compare to it, well the Sierra is a little slower action " barely noticable", lending it to be a better moving bait rod and a skipping rod. This rod has become my spinnerbait and weightless senko rod.

The KD744c is as close to the DC734c as can be with just a hint more tip action. This may become my go to rattle trap rod along with a back up t-rig rod. I was shocked with how light it is for a mid level priced rod. I will add to this as my real time use continues.

Now the DC744c is not even in the same category as the rest of these 4 powers. It is the designed jig special rod. And that it should be used for as the power is more than a standard 4 power casting rod. The tip action is super fast. It was designed to set heavy hooks into big fish mouths. I use it for jigs from 1/4 to 3/4 ounce and it works equally well with the whole range. This rod was not meant to throw any moving baits although it did work ok for some swimbaits but not ideal. When considering a 4 power rod this should be left out of the conversation as it is not a true 4 power. I put it in this as this question comes up repeatedly.

Now if I was was looking for a 4 power casting rod for:

Jigs and t-rigs DC734c    2nd KD744c
Spinnerbaits    SA734c    2nd KD744c
Spooks           KD744c    2nd DC734c
Senkos weightless    SA734c  2nd KD744c
Rattlebaits      KD744c    2nd SA734c
Buzzbaits        KD744c    2nd DC734c
Small swimbaits  SA734c 2nd KD744c
Chatterbaits    KD744c    2nd Dc734c

Now the KD744c beat out the DC734c only for the price point most of the time. Except where I thought the extra inch may help in longer casts like the spook and buzzbait.

The KD744c is very close to the DC734c in many ways. The sensitivity is close, the power is the same, and the action is the same. The extra inch has me intrigued for the moving baits.

This is just my experience and opinion with these three 4 power casting rods. If you had just these three rods there is very little you could throw not well.

Now the Extreme and Xtasy 4 powers are a lot more sensitive. But for a lot more money.

I have no experience with the Colt and Fury to compare.

3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Princeton_Man

I too own all of the models you mention. In fact, I'm probably a little heavy on 3 and 4 powers, but they are so good for so many presentations that I never come up short. The Kadens and Xtasys are by far my favorites and I'd probably trade them all for a complete line-up of Kadens. 
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

chrisD46

*Excellent write up ZippyDuck !! ... I actually save reviews such as this as they greatly help and assist in my understanding of how Dobyns rod series compare to one another . I myself have settles on Dobyns Sierra series as the quality an price point fit my budget best (SA733c. , 744c. , 735c. & SA702SF , 703SF). I interchange reels with braid , co-poly, FC and mono lines on the Sierra rods to take advantage of each lines strengths with lures I am throwing as well as to make up for the Sierra's being a tad bit slower than the  Champion series . What's so nice about the Dobyns rods line up is that each series is going to feel familiar to you and as you move up into the next higher series you will appreciate incremental improvements in components - but it still balances and feels like a Dobyns rod in a lower series . Lastly , no true cranking rod offered in the SA series , so I will need to look at either the Fury 705CB or a cranking rod in a higher priced Dobyns rod series ... I get just as excited at the next Dobyns rod purchase as I did for the first Dobyns rod I purchased - Keep those reviews coming !

ike8120

Gary (ike8120)

"It's not whats best......It's whats best for you"

TNDiver

Great review Zippy!  I always learn something from this website on a regular basis and this helps me to decide on rods
There is nothing like sharing any moment outdoors with someone special!

UB Life Member: Starcraft Deck Boat with Minnkota Fortrex and Garmin Echomap Plus

BassmanRudy

Love the detail in the report. The 4 power is super versatile across all the lines!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

"Rudy"
I use Mister Twister Baits!
www.mistertwister.com

zippyduck

Quote from: chrisD46 on April 04, 2021, 07:12:15 AM
*Excellent write up ZippyDuck !! ... I actually save reviews such as this as they greatly help and assist in my understanding of how Dobyns rod series compare to one another . I myself have settles on Dobyns Sierra series as the quality an price point fit my budget best (SA733c. , 744c. , 735c. & SA702SF , 703SF). I interchange reels with braid , co-poly, FC and mono lines on the Sierra rods to take advantage of each lines strengths with lures I am throwing as well as to make up for the Sierra's being a tad bit slower than the  Champion series . What's so nice about the Dobyns rods line up is that each series is going to feel familiar to you and as you move up into the next higher series you will appreciate incremental improvements in components - but it still balances and feels like a Dobyns rod in a lower series . Lastly , no true cranking rod offered in the SA series , so I will need to look at either the Fury 705CB or a cranking rod in a higher priced Dobyns rod series ... I get just as excited at the next Dobyns rod purchase as I did for the first Dobyns rod I purchased - Keep those reviews coming !

The Kaden series is something you should look into for your bottom contact rods as they are the same price as the Sierras and are built with a faster action. Also the Kaden has a 735cb rod that will handle a lot of cranking duties.

Smallie_Stalker

Great thread. Thanks Zippy! 

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

fishballer06

Great comparison Zip!

You'll have to try out my Extreme 704c some time when we're out and about. I love that rod for throwing a multitude of different baits. It's sensitive enough to throw jigs and T-rigs, but it also handles spinnerbaits, swim jigs, and chatterbaits as well (I prefer a fast action rod for these applications). The little bit shorter length is great for whenever you're walking the banks and throwing in tight quarters may be required.
3rd place 2019 iBass - Cool Casters
2nd place 2019 iBass - Team Tournament

zippyduck

Quote from: fishballer06 on April 05, 2021, 07:45:29 AM
Great comparison Zip!

You'll have to try out my Extreme 704c some time when we're out and about. I love that rod for throwing a multitude of different baits. It's sensitive enough to throw jigs and T-rigs, but it also handles spinnerbaits, swim jigs, and chatterbaits as well (I prefer a fast action rod for these applications). The little bit shorter length is great for whenever you're walking the banks and throwing in tight quarters may be required.

You know I will be getting my hands on your rod.  ;)  lo lo

BassmanRudy

Ooooooh the maintainer in me really wants to make a comment about that post lol! ;-)

"Rudy"
www.mistertwister.com

Dink Dawg

Great overall review.  It shows the diversities between the series. If I can add a thought or two, the Kaden series is a set apart series because so much went into that blank design to get that faster action at a price point that makes them a steal in my opinion.

I agree with the duck that the DC 744C is an anomoly because it's so fast to lock up it is deceiving and you would think your using a 5 power.  Good insight. The 4 powers make great finesse jig rods.

The Kaden 744C  also fishes  swim jig so well. The tip to power for larger single hook baits just makes this model so relevant.  I received a 743C and 735CB today.  Side note: The cork is fantastic.
Trust me, we will see some expansion in the Kaden series in the next year. They're that good.  This series is perfect for an 805CB and I think it would fly off the racks.

zippyduck

Dink,
I was blown away by the Kaden 734. The cork is great on it, the weight is super light, but yet it has that fast action with a great backbone.
The Kaden and Sierra series at the same price point really do compliment each other. My only wish is for more cranking rods at that price point.

Mike Cork

Zippy and others, this is a great thread. Thank you for all the information and comparisons.  ~c~ ~c~

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Dink Dawg

Quote from: zippyduck on April 06, 2021, 10:54:16 AMin
Dink,
I was blown away by the Kaden 734. The cork is great on it, the weight is super light, but yet it has that fast action with a great backbone.
The Kaden and Sierra series at the same price point really do compliment each other. My only wish is for more cranking rods at that price point.

I hate to say it Zippy but I see Gary reading this, hitting his forehead with his palm and blurting out, " another cranking rod?  Come on guys. I'm playing catch up!!!"  I can really see the K735CB being that one model to be the basis for a quality deep cranking rod many bass fisherman are hesitant to invest in.  I better stop before I get an email to 🤫

zippyduck

Quote from: Dink Dawg on April 06, 2021, 07:45:27 PM
I hate to say it Zippy but I see Gary reading this, hitting his forehead with his palm and blurting out, " another cranking rod?  Come on guys. I'm playing catch up!!!"  I can really see the K735CB being that one model to be the basis for a quality deep cranking rod many bass fisherman are hesitant to invest in.  I better stop before I get an email to 🤫

I know he will but it is what I hear the most out of everyone.  A cranking rod in that price range is what most guys want.

fishballer06

Quote from: Dink Dawg on April 06, 2021, 07:45:27 PM
I was blown away by the Kaden 734. The cork is great on it, the weight is super light, but yet it has that fast action with a great

Personally, I'd love to see something like a 734CB rod for throwing baits like Wiggle Warts, Shad Raps, and other lighter balsa flatsided crankbaits. You know, while us cranking guys can make some suggestions.
3rd place 2019 iBass - Cool Casters
2nd place 2019 iBass - Team Tournament

Dink Dawg

Champion 764CB RM is the deal for Wiggle Warts.

dunnuckt

Great Review.  I just got my new Sierra SA704SF which will be used for multiple applications.  I would have loved a Kaden but alas not available at this point.

Am I the only one who when I die, hope my wife doesn't sell all of my Dobyns outfits for what I tell her they cost?  :)

BassmanRudy

^^^ best to have a "good fishing friend" designated who'll handle all of the fishing stuff sales!!

"Rudy"
www.mistertwister.com

Capt. BassinLou

Good stuff Zippy.  The 4 power series of Dobyns rods are a versatile family of rods that can handle myriad of techniques.

FoolishMoose

Interesting and timely that I stumbled across this thread. Thank you. I was pretty much set to pull the trigger on the DC704C, primary job TR. Then I read this thread, look it up at the Dobyns site, read about 50 comments on the DC734C, and now I have a decision to make.
I guess when I start my search, I get hung up on the "applications" displayed for each rod. The 704's primary role is TR's. The 734 does not even mention TR. But I guess I should not argue with the 50 comments, and the 734 being the most dominate rod in the lineup.
Thanks for sharing and all the comments.
Moose
Until we meet again,
Moose

BassmanRudy

Nothing wrong with the 704 at all and if it fits you better go ahead!! The 734 just gives you a little more "pop" IMO or "line take up on the hookset" to put it another way.

Not the same rod but I have the 703 and 733 and I just keep reaching for the 733 on the TR. I do use the 703 for skipping light weight TRs or close quarters stuff. Also makes a good buzzbait rod.

"Rudy"
www.mistertwister.com

zippyduck

FoolishMoose,

I prefer longer rods like BassmanRudy  for line pick-up. But the 704c is a fine rod that is very comparable to the 734.
If I fished around Cypress trees or any other overhead cover the 704 would work better.

D.W. Verts

I have 734's in both Furys and Sierras, and it's be hard for me to give them up. Very, very versatile rods, with the oomph to hook a bass thirty feet deep on a jig or a worm, and then smoke 'em on a Frog in the slop. I also dig my 733's and 735's, but they lack the versatility of the 4. Which is weird, because I normally suggest a MH rod for being versatile. Huh.

Dale
Old School Bass Fishin', My Hickbilly Life, and Hickbilly Outdoors with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff