Holey Lands (04/2/21)

Started by Capt. BassinLou, April 02, 2021, 06:14:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt. BassinLou

Fished solo again today, and decided to go check out the Holey lands since its been a while that I haven't been out there. Arrived at the ramp a little after 8am, to find the whole place empty. Wind was already blowing at a good clip from the North, around 15-20mph.  Took a run to an area that I checked out last time I was out there, and a few casts in with a stickworm, I got bit. Little guy, but it came off. I moved along and caught another little guy short while later. Battled the wind down this stretch of water for a couple of hours. The bass were biting periodically, but they were small.

A little before noon, I made long run to another stretch of canal I have never fished before. Wind was being a PITA, but I managed another little guy, before deciding to move again. Made another run and settled on a long stretch water where I could fish the Leeward side of the canal without getting pushed around too much. (Yeah right!!) As moved along I saw why I was catching little bass, they were small bucks on nests. Unfortunately, the bigger females have not moved up yet.

By 4 pm, I had, had enough of the damn wind, and called it day. Looked at the my counter, and successfully boated 18. Biggest bass today went for 15".  lo lo Tough fishing. Bluebird skies, windy as all hell, and cold front passed the night before. I was happy that I managed a limit despite the conditions.  lo lo

Day in perspective: Due to the conditions, I couldn't gauge if the Holey lands deserves another outing. Water was very clear, and there were bass, but just little ones. I'm sure the cold front had the bigger bass hunkered down. Let's see what I come across next week. Thanks for reading.  ~beer~

FlatsNBay

It's always nice when you catch a few when exploring.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

strkpr

Thanks for the report, Holey lands to me is always hit and miss, more miss since the ramp.
Is that boulder still near the bottom of the ramp?
no fish is to small to catch

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: strkpr on April 03, 2021, 09:50:12 AM
Thanks for the report, Holey lands to me is always hit and miss, more miss since the ramp.
Is that boulder still near the bottom of the ramp?

I didn't see a boulder, but then again, water was up significantly, so I didn't have to back down the trailer too far. The wind had the water all stirred with waves that I couldn't see if there was a boulder there. Good news is, if its there, fortunately I didn't hit it.  whew ~sweat ~sweat Now I know for next time. Thanks for the heads up!!  :-*

Capt. BassinLou

I also failed to mention on my report, the only 2 ramps open along 27 were stacked with trailers!! People were parking in creative ways. Crazy!! Hope Holiday opens up soon to spread out all these boats. Geesh!!

Donald Garner

Lou, tks for sharing the trip and pictures with us.  Glad you were able to get and boat a few.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

big g

A tough place to fish at times.  Finding water flow at those stations is key to catching decent bass.  Thanks for the report Lou!
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: big g on April 03, 2021, 10:38:29 PM
A tough place to fish at times.  Finding water flow at those stations is key to catching decent bass.  Thanks for the report Lou!

Thanks George. I can tell you that there was 0 flowing water out of those stations on Fri. But there was plenty of wind to keep the water moving!!  lo lo

Mike Cork

Thanks for the report and awesome photo...

You have another entry in the Dobyns Champion Series Rod Giveaway

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

topwaterrob

Quote from: Bassinlou on April 03, 2021, 11:01:31 AM
I also failed to mention on my report, the only 2 ramps open along 27 were stacked with trailers!! People were parking in creative ways. Crazy!! Hope Holiday opens up soon to spread out all these boats. Geesh!!

Speaking of Holiday Park. Does anyone have any idea of when they are going to finish that ramp?  I thought I had heard April but maybe not.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: topwaterrob on April 08, 2021, 12:52:07 PM

Speaking of Holiday Park. Does anyone have any idea of when they are going to finish that ramp?  I thought I had heard April but maybe not.
Rumor has it some time this summer.

topwaterrob

Quote from: Bassinlou on April 08, 2021, 12:55:55 PM
Quote from: topwaterrob on April 08, 2021, 12:52:07 PM

Rumor has it some time this summer.
Thankyou......