the Big "O" 4-7

Started by strkpr, April 07, 2021, 08:00:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

strkpr

air temp at launch 63. Sunny
water clarity murky with a bit of algae
Finally a few days with low winds and thought I would give Okeechobee a shot. Left the Clewiston ramp at 6:45 heading across the lake to Monkey Box and then I saw Uncle Joes Cut and motored to the grassy flats outside the cut. Could not buy a hit. Trolled to the mouth of the canal and finally had one hit a mid size Rapala, went don't the canal and noticed current flowing to the rim canal. nothing to be had. Went back to the mouth and got 3 more. Tired of beating a dead horse we called it a day at noon.
Are they ever going to finish US 27 in Palm Beach?
no fish is to small to catch

Donald Garner

Congrats on the catching and tks for sharing those pictures with us also.   
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Capt. BassinLou

Thank you for the report Tommy. That US 27 project is sure taking a while, if you get stuck behind a slow vehicle/truck, it makes for a loooong 12 miles.  ~xyz

Mike Cork

Thanks for the report and beautiful photos of the Big O.

You are entered into the Dobyns Champion Series Rod Giveaway. Keep posting reports for more entries.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

strkpr

Quote from: Bassinlou on April 08, 2021, 05:43:24 AM
Thank you for the report Tommy. That US 27 project is sure taking a while, if you get stuck behind a slow vehicle/truck, it makes for a loooong 12 miles.  ~xyz

I have seen PBSO a few times out there doing traffic enforcement and for me it is tough to stay awake going so slow. I was ready for a nap when I hit the Broward line, except there was no place to park at (Johnny's B"woops"?)ramp. They must be giving something away.
no fish is to small to catch

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: strkpr on April 08, 2021, 09:56:37 AM

I have seen PBSO a few times out there doing traffic enforcement and for me it is tough to stay awake going so slow. I was ready for a nap when I hit the Broward line, except there was no place to park at (Johnny's B"woops"?)ramp. They must be giving something away.

FHP hides behind those dunes and enforce not passing by the shoulder as well too.

That ramp is nuts!! Never in all the years that I have been fishing the glades have I ever seen that ramp so crazy. What's crazier is that so many ramps are like this.  The majority of these boats are from out of state, and they are going nuts for oscars. Is the oscar the black crappie substitute?

big g

Quote from: Bassinlou on April 08, 2021, 10:47:17 AM

FHP hides behind those dunes and enforce not passing by the shoulder as well too.

That ramp is nuts!! Never in all the years that I have been fishing the glades have I ever seen that ramp so crazy. What's crazier is that so many ramps are like this.  The majority of these boats are from out of state, and they are going nuts for oscars. Is the oscar the black crappie substitute?

This weekend will be their last shot.  They will be headed home soon, I hope with thousands of Oscars!
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: big g on April 08, 2021, 11:59:04 AM

This weekend will be their last shot.  They will be headed home soon, I hope with thousands of Oscars!

I'm sure thousands of Oscars have been harvested. My question is: Do you think that put a dent on their population? I don't think so, but time will tell.

big g

Quote from: Bassinlou on April 08, 2021, 12:08:46 PM

I'm sure thousands of Oscars have been harvested. My question is: Do you think that put a dent on their population? I don't think so, but time will tell.

I doubt it!  Just too many, I've been told good flaky meat.
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

topdsm0138

Quote from: Bassinlou on April 08, 2021, 12:08:46 PM

They breed and grow as fast as Blue Talapia, so they'll be back..

Sent from my SM-A215U using Tapatalk

"I'm a simple man, with simple pleasures." -Trevor Belmont