Bass Fishing Forum Bass Fishing Forum

Site Slogan

News: NEW FORUM! Yes, this is UB! Feedback HERE!

Hook Trouble

(Read 358 times)

BECOME A CHARTER MEMBER SUPPORT UB

Mike Cork

• Father Time
  • Admin
  • Get the Net it's a Hawg
Let's hear your stories and/or see your photos

I was fishing alone and caught a white bass about a pound on a crank bait. While trying to unhook it, I was speared with a dorsal fin which caused me to drop the fish. It flipped and caught my finger the free treble hook. Now I have a flopping fish hanging off a lure that has a hook embedded in my finger. That white bass died in a flat second when I stepped on it with my 200 pounds.

I ended up going to the hospital because I couldn't find anyone willing to do the string trick... I promise anyone that questions it... The string trick is much less painful than the doctor. Not only do the Novocain injections hurt like crazy, then I had to tell this doc to wait a dam minute the juice hadn't taken effect. He had to go get the channel lock pliers from his mechanics desk and sterilize them anyway LOL

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

FishinBuck07

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
When I was in Jr High a buddy and I went fishing at a farm pond we went to all the time, he was using a roostertail spinner.  I was walking behind him and just as I was saying don't cast he let one rip and the treble of said roostertail buried itself in the underside of my wrist!  And I do mean buried!!!!!  That was a trip to the local Dr office ;D

Marine Coat One

Pacific NW Ron

• Ultimate Basser
Glad it's all okay now.  That's one reason I rarely throw any lure with double treble hooks. 
At least this one was pretty easy to push through and cut the barb off. 
Enjoying retirement in the great Pacific Northwest.  I've turned into a fair weather angler.  Why do it today when I can do it tomorrow?

Bassinlou

• CM Chief Community Diplomat

I have had to go to the ER on two separate occasions for treble hooks, and another occasion we took care of it on the water.

My latest incident actually took place just yesterday. Just like my previous incident, it involved smaller fish that just wouldn't stop moving. Both times the lures were Rapala's with those needle sharp hooks.

Yesterday's fish, gave a quick, and sudden head shake, making me lose my grip and the lure shot like a rubber band into my left index finger. With a fish in one hand and hooked index finger, I could not use either of my hands. Fortunately I found another boater and they assisted me, but in their assistance cut the hook wrong, making hook extraction a bit more complicated.

Long story short, an ER Dr figured out how to remove the hook. I will agree with Mike, the lidocaine shots sting like hell, and the numbing effects lasts for a long while. My finger is still numb and it's been more than 24hrs.

Look at how fat the bottom portion of my finger looks. That was right after the lidocaine injections.

Smallie_Stalker

• CM Community Diplomat
  • Dobyns Rods When fishing is more than just a hobby
I don't have any pics but I've done it more times than I can probably remember.

One of the worst for me was when I had already cut a crankbait off a rod to change to a different one. I cut a few feet of braid off too because I had been fishing through a tangle of laydowns and the line was nicked in a few spots.

I had the crank in my hand ( yes I know that was  STUPID in itself). I took a step towards my crankbait box on the deck and stepped on the braid still attached to the crank. Pulled several of the tines of the rear treble into the soft flesh between my thumb and first finger.

Pushing the barbs trough tore the flesh a little more but I was able to cut myself free and patch it up.  I was surprised that there was a lot less blood than I expected.

I went to the ER for a tetanus shot cause it had been a while. The nurse told me  that I did a good job on the clean and bandage and that in that part of the hand the string/braid trick most likely would have done more damage than pushing the barbs through like I did.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

scbassfanatic

• Largemouth
I have been fishing all my life and never had a hook go past the barb. That was until I started captaining my son and his friend in High School Fishing. The first incident occurred when my boy let a Whopper Plopper fly dead center off the bow, however he did not take into account his back cast and caught me in the back of the noggin. Not realizing he had foul hooked dear old dad, he proceeded with the other half of his cast. Therefore burying the treble hook deep to the bend. Like you Mike, I had trouble finding someone willing to do the line trick so I ended up in Urgent Care. Two months later, his friend hooked a piece of indoor outdoor carpet on the lake bottom with a crankbait. To speed up the process, I told him to remove it and tie on another and I would unsnag it. As i am holding the cranbait in one hand and a pair of pliers in the other, I think to myself, this is not going to go as planned. Before I changed my mind, the carpet let go of the one treble and the free one found itself in my hand. In this case, two hooks of the front treble were in my finger, one on each side of a joint. I didnt have the nerve and the boys were not going to be the ones, so we headed to the launch where the tournament director admitted he had never done this on a treble that was double buried, but why not. So with one quick snap, he freed it and I felt far less that I did with the Urgent Care method.

Bud Kennedy

• Life Member
  • PFD's and KILL SWITCHES SAVE LIVES
My hook story did not involve my hand or my face but someplace that is also sensitive.  Throwing a squarebill at Santee by skipping it under some low hanging cypress trees.  The cast got away from me a bit and got caught in the low hanging branches.  In an attempt to retrieve the lure, I cut some branches and the lure came flying back at me when I cut it free from the branch.  The lure then impaled itself in my crotch area.  I am happy no pictures were taken of this situation and only a scratch on the jewels was noted where the treble hook completely penetrated the shorts I was wearing.  Very happy not to have to go to the emergency room with a fishing lure stuck on my hoo hoo. 
 ~roflmao

Bassinlou

• CM Chief Community Diplomat
My hook story did not involve my hand or my face but someplace that is also sensitive.  Throwing a squarebill at Santee by skipping it under some low hanging cypress trees.  The cast got away from me a bit and got caught in the low hanging branches.  In an attempt to retrieve the lure, I cut some branches and the lure came flying back at me when I cut it free from the branch.  The lure then impaled itself in my crotch area.  I am happy no pictures were taken of this situation and only a scratch on the jewels was noted where the treble hook completely penetrated the shorts I was wearing.  Very happy not to have to go to the emergency room with a fishing lure stuck on my hoo hoo. 
 ~roflmao

Ouch!!!

geneinnc

• Largemouth
  • Baby Bass
I agree with Mike on the doctor visit and they put 3 shots in both fingers. I bought a small bolt cutter just for this situation. I had  a tub spotted bass flailing about and that is some serious hurt. The cutters went through the hooks like they were plastic.

The next time I got nailed I cut the hook and left enough to grab. I just ripped it out this time. I was good on my tetanus shot so I just grabbed the first aid kit, cleaned the wound and kept fishing. It's going to happen sometime so prepare as best you can.

Heal up Mike!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 02:48:51 PM by geneinnc

MotherNature

• Watching Over You!
  • Admin
  • Takin' Names
I have had a lot of run ins with treble hooks but Mike has always been lucky  ^-^

The first time he was lucky was when we had only been married a couple of years. We were fishing a tournament on Lake Shasta in the middle of winter...   ~shade I had all of my rods tucked into the non-boaters side of the boat ready to go and of course the lures were wrapped around the rods and we thought it was all secure. We used a lot of rogues and stick baits back then and as my boater was running across the very rough water I had the miss fortune of meeting one of the rogues across the back of my hand. I was super lucky because it was only hanging on by the tips of the hooks.

The second time was the best. Mike got his bait stuck and was "tugging" on it to get it back and well it came back alright, right into my cheek. It was hanging from my cheek bone just under my eye and from the skin just to the side of my nose. I don't remember what it's called but I am sure he does LOL

.`.><((((>`..`.><((((>

fishballer06

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
No pictures, but I have been unfortunate enough to hook a fishing partner before.

We were on an early morning frog bite that was pretty hot. We were standing beside each other on the front deck fishing. I went to make an overhead cast. Just as I went to do so, he turned around, bent over and reached behind him to grab a different rod behind us. So my upswing of my cast drove that frog hook through it hat and under the skin of his scalp on top of his head.

He had me inspect it see the damage and I was having a hard time finding where exactly the hook was because it had gone through his hat. He quickly goes "I can feel exactly where its at  ~xyz" and he grabbed the frog and punched the tip of the hook back out of his scalp. I was then able to grab my side cutters that I keep on me just in case this emergency happens. It took some wrestling, because those frog hooks are super thick and tough to cut through.

I eventually got the hook cut off and got it out of his head. We took some peroxide and poured it all over the wound and he took some Tylenol and we kept fishing the rest of the day. I think within 5 minutes we had caught another fish  ~gf
3rd place 2019 iBass - Cool Casters
2nd place 2019 iBass - Team Tournament

D.W. Verts

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
Well I was going to re-post my last HERO shot from two years ago, with a swimbait treble buried in my finger. But Imagur says that I have no photos. That means no UB pics. I had a BUNCH of them on there, what gives I wonder?

The fishing line trick is a bona-fide fast, safe, and relatively painless way to remove a hook in at least 90% of the places where a hook could be. It's also cheaper by far then an ER visit. Plus you don't lose fishing time. It is kinda hard to do to yourself. You need a little S&M in your soul to make it work. Or really, really want to keep on fishin'.

I've been hooked/hooked myself around twenty times over the years. Try guiding if you want to learn how to dodge a wayward bait now and again.

Dale
If you wanna hear God laugh, tell him your plans...

FlatsNBay

• Ultimate Basser
  • Go Noles!
Here's my most recent hooking! I was fishing for seatrout when I hooked a small ladyfish. The fish jumped right at the boat and threw the lure. The lure sling shotted right into my knee. The good ole string trick worked like a charm!http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/606f7c1d978a5/0.1

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Wizard

• Ultimate Basser
  • Deep water angler on highland lakes
When I started fishing tournaments many anglers didn't wear a hat.  Sometimes anglers were hooked in the head, face or neck. I quickly learned a baseball style hat was good protection against both sun and hooks. When a hook is flying towards your head, natural instinct is to look toward the ground and hope the hook doesn't hit your head or face. A ball cap with it's long brim, protects your head and face when your head turns downward.

Wizard

MotherNature

• Watching Over You!
  • Admin
  • Takin' Names
A ball cap with it's long brim, protects your head and face when your head turns downward.

I never thought about it that way... I better find me a hat that I can wear so that Mike's flying lures have less chance of getting to me LOL

.`.><((((>`..`.><((((>

Marine Coat One

zippyduck

• Charter Member
  • Dobyns, Daiwa, LSCR, Nutech, Keitech, Yamamoto
I never thought about it that way... I better find me a hat that I can wear so that Mike's flying lures have less chance of getting to me LOL

LOL I remember you saying he is dangerous.  lo
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

zippyduck

• Charter Member
It happened at Winnepesauke when my companions were unable to fish with me that day. I was doing great, traveled all over the lake exploring and catching fish here and there. Slowly working back to the ramp I noticed some juicy riprap. First cast was a nice 3 lb largie, second cast was a 9 inch smallie, yes the kind that never tire out. Well he leaped out of my hand and buried the treble into my right thumb.
Now I have a squarebill attached to a smallie attached to my thumb and no help. I pinned the fish with my hand to the deck and grabbed the pliers and removed the fish. Cut the line and removed the split ring from the hook.
Now to drive with my right hand and an unusable thumb, it went ok till I tried to dock and tie the rope with my left hand. I am sure the guy with his kids were laughing.
I grabbed some wire leader and headed towards the family and asked if he could help.
His reply was this is what game warden does on his day off. He had it out of my hand painlessly in seconds. I offered to take them out fishing in the boat but they were happy fishing the bank.

Terry G

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
My wife sat on a "torpedo" the hook went in and out she was stuck until I convinced her my knife would hardly hurt. This is the gal that has kept me around 60 years

zippyduck

• Charter Member
My wife sat on a "torpedo" the hook went in and out she was stuck until I convinced her my knife would hardly hurt. This is the gal that has kept me around 60 years

I'd say you had her hooked for the long run.  :)

Smallie_Stalker

• CM Community Diplomat
  • Dobyns Rods When fishing is more than just a hobby
It happened at Winnepesauke when my companions were unable to fish with me that day. I was doing great, traveled all over the lake exploring and catching fish here and there. Slowly working back to the ramp I noticed some juicy riprap. First cast was a nice 3 lb largie, second cast was a 9 inch smallie, yes the kind that never tire out. Well he leaped out of my hand and buried the treble into my right thumb.
Now I have a squarebill attached to a smallie attached to my thumb and no help. I pinned the fish with my hand to the deck and grabbed the pliers and removed the fish. Cut the line and removed the split ring from the hook.
Now to drive with my right hand and an unusable thumb, it went ok till I tried to dock and tie the rope with my left hand. I am sure the guy with his kids were laughing.
I grabbed some wire leader and headed towards the family and asked if he could help.
His reply was this is what game warden does on his day off. He had it out of my hand painlessly in seconds. I offered to take them out fishing in the boat but they were happy fishing the bank.
I remember that. Didn't slow you down any. IIRC it was Debbie's birthday and the two of you went down and fished that little pond at the edge of the campground that afternoon.  She caught a nice bass out of there.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

BECOME A CHARTER MEMBER SUPPORT UB