Deep cranking reel

Started by hydrillagorillahunter, April 08, 2021, 08:46:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hydrillagorillahunter

looking for feedback for those running deep divers like megabass big m 7.5s or 10XDs...what reels are you throwing on?  i had my eye on the quantum smoke hd in 5.3...but wondered if i could get away with a tatula elite 6.3.  not worried about price either.

Smallie_Stalker

I've never owned the Smoke reel so I can't really offer an opinion on that. In the past I used Revo Winch reels ( the gen 2 was the best IMHO).

Right now I have a Tatulas 200 with the 6 gear ratio on my deep cranking rod. The Elite will hold less line but I think it would do a good job for deep cranking those baits.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

hydrillagorillahunter

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on April 08, 2021, 09:21:24 PM
I've never owned the Smoke reel so I can't really offer an opinion on that. In the past I used Revo Winch reels ( the gen 2 was the best IMHO).

Right now I have a Tatulas 200 with the 6 gear ratio on my deep cranking rod. The Elite will hold less line but I think it would do a good job for deep cranking those baits.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

i had eyed the daiwa tatula 150 as well.  i'll be pairing with a megabass orochi launcher...so the rod is a lock, but really want to absorb as much as possible on reel selection.

caddyjoe77

Curado 200 B 5.1  ;D (and this is from a hardcore Daiwa fan).  Plus its a cheap experiment

Tatula elite 6.3 is pretty good too!!

had a JDM Tatula 150 -- had -- > thieves -- that was a dandy of a reel. 
BeerMe

Bassinkorea

I've been using an old Shimano Citica for years in 5.0:1 ratio. I have no reason to change to a newer reel at this time.
2020 IBASS Gold - Zone 2 - AOY
2020 IBASS Classic - Winner
2020 IBASS Team Tourney - Winner (with FD)

zippyduck

My choice is the Daiwa Tatula 200. The extra line capacity is always my choice in a cranking reel.

Another great choice is the Abu Winch. It can cast a mile and easily retrieves deep cranks.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

loomisguy

I use a E series Curado in 5:1. Shimano has added a 5:1 in the K series recently. 

hydrillagorillahunter

good feedback here...appreciate it.  it appears the cashion deep cranking rods have caught my eye as well.  i've got some buddies who feel i could get away with throwing on a daiwa elite in 6.3.  i'll admit even a steez A was considered as it holds 140yds of 12#.  reason i mention this is because i have used a steez sv tw with 15# to throw a vatalion 115; only reel i had in rotation to do this at the time.  well i'd nearly spool the reel with ease...bombing it 50...60yds easy just by letting the rod load and lobbing it.  the steez A holds a little more line and i know brett hite throws his oz & a qtr jackhammer on it with ease.

but, realize these heavier duty...higher capacity reels designed for deep plugging is where i need to focus.  i'll admit i'm leaning hard on the tatula 150 right now...price is so good.

Dink Dawg

I'm throwing a Tatula 200 in 6.3.  I don't throw the 10XD but do throw a number of baits that reach the 20 foot level and the reel has ample torque.  It's matched to a Dobyns 805CB Glass, Paul Mueller model.

Oldfart9999

I have several Quantum Iron reels from the 90s that work well, they have a low gear ratio, some where around 4.8 to 1, centrifugal brakes, and a whopping 3 bearings but they throw a crank quite well. I would like to see how they would work with a set of new high tech bearings.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.