Aluminum parts in reels

Started by The Rooster, April 30, 2021, 05:57:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rooster

I'm starting to think about getting a new bait cast reel for a jigging rod. The Bass Pro Shops Carbonlite 2 appeals to me because of its weight, its cost, and its looks. My concern is that it has an aluminum main shaft that the drive gear rides on. My mind immediately goes to past experiences I've had with aluminum and mechanical parts, such as stripped threads, bending under load, and all that kind of stuff, and this sort of puts me off. So I wanted to ask, is there anything to be concerned about with that, or am I overthinking it?

I'm only thinking of stripped threads as a concern when I take it apart for service, when removing and reinstalling the handle nut, that is.

Also, this reel has a brass drive gear, but others out there have aluminum gears. I've asked this and read about this before; it seems they develop gear grind after a while when the drive gear is aluminum. My friend has the Bass Pro Shops Johnny Morris reel, the $200 model with aluminum gears, and it feels like a coffee grinder to me. He had it for about 2 years before it was serviced, so I took it apart for him and cleaned and lubed it like I always do for mine and it didn't return to a smooth state. Still grinded like it had sand in the gears when reassembled, but my much cheaper Abu Garcia Orra SX reels with brass gears are still smooth as butter after 5 years of use and being taken apart multiple times. I had read that this was due to aluminum gears. However, I'm starting to wonder if it could also be due to using the reel as a winch in a fish fight, rather than using the rod to move the fish and just using the reel to take up line in between for another pull with the rod. The latter is how I fight fish, and I think he uses the reel more as a winch. I never do that. So, with that in mind, would aluminum gears be ok, or would I just end up paying more for such a reel and then be disheartened when it starts feeling rough on the retrieve? I know people buy $200 and $300 reels everyday, and many of these have aluminum, and they swear up and down they're smooth and how much they love them.

What's odd, is my friend hadn't seemed to notice how rough his was until he sampled mine. His is BAD! I wouldn't even fish with it cause of how it feels, and yet it still works just fine. Just rough as heck.

Oldfart9999

I have a bunch of BPS PRO QUALIFIER reels that have duraluminium gears and so far have had no issues, some are 4 or 5 years old.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

LgMouthGambler

Tory uses a Carbonlite 2.0, and I have the JM Signature reel. No problems with either. Dont over tighten things, its that simple. As far as the aluminum gears in the Sig, I have pulled some big fish out of some sloppy stuff with that reel, and no gear issues. Im more confident in them gears than I am in Shimano and Daiwa aluminum gears, or even the MM gears from Shimano that are brass.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

fishballer06

Aluminum parts are always a toss up (no matter the brand). If it's something that worries you that much, spend the money and get something with brass gears.
3rd place 2019 iBass - Cool Casters
2nd place 2019 iBass - Team Tournament

Mike Cork

Of course you have to be careful with handle nuts on any drive shaft... So aluminum doesn't bother me at all.

As far as the coffee grinder feeling, a lot of times it's not the gears but rather the ARB or a pinion gear bearing. I'm betting if you took your buddy's reel and changed both those bearings it would be smooth again. Gears and bearings wear, but bearings go faster because of moisture (even basic condensation) especially in a reel that hasn't been cleaned in two years.

Bass Pro has stepped up the game in the last 10 years. IMO they used to be a throw away reel, buy it, use it until it fails, buy another one. But now, if maintained, you can expect years of service.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

The Rooster

Quote from: fishballer06 on April 30, 2021, 08:07:26 AM
Aluminum parts are always a toss up (no matter the brand). If it's something that worries you that much, spend the money and get something with brass gears.

It kinda worries me, but reel weight is starting to worry me even more because of shoulder pain and tennis elbow that I've had in both arms now. That's why I liked that Carbonlite cause it's just 6.7 oz and still has brass gears. If the aluminum shaft won't be a real issue then that's probably what I'll get. 

Mike Cork

I've had to replace more driveshafts because of stripped handle nuts on ABU than any other brand. Don't know why but they can be trouble. Can't remember every changing a driveshaft on a carbonate, but older models do have clutch return issues. Another issue with BPS that I just thought about, you're looking for a long term reel. BPS only orders two years worth of spare parts, sometimes they last longer, but after that they will ship you parts form old returned reels if the part is available.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

The Rooster

Quote from: Mike Cork on April 30, 2021, 02:25:14 PM
I've had to replace more driveshafts because of stripped handle nuts on ABU than any other brand. Don't know why but they can be trouble. Can't remember every changing a driveshaft on a carbonate, but older models do have clutch return issues. Another issue with BPS that I just thought about, you're looking for a long term reel. BPS only orders two years worth of spare parts, sometimes they last longer, but after that they will ship you parts form old returned reels if the part is available.

I wasn't aware that they even had new parts to order. Thought they were all used. Thank you for the info.