Shortening a rod handle

Started by The Rooster, May 01, 2021, 06:09:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rooster

Anybody ever saw off 3 inches of rod handle on the butt end and then put a cap on it with some weights to rebalance it? I'm thinking this is the best thing for me to do to get the rod I want for jerkbaits and topwaters and have a short enough handle on the back side to keep it out of my mid section as I'm working the bait. I can order a balancing kit from Mudhole for $10.

I'm thinking a St. Croix Premier spinning rod in a 6' length, cause I fish from a really small boat and sometimes the shoreline also, so I want one that won't touch water or ground when I'm jerking the lure with the tip down. The handle is still too long though. Taking about 2-3 inches off would be ideal. I already know the reel I would want balances pretty well on the 6'6" version, and might be a touch heavy on the 6'0" rod. Taking a little off would help with that but then it also might just mess it up but good, too! A balance kit might be just the thing then, right?

Would I need to do any sort of epoxy on the rod after I cut it to preserve the graphite fibers from splintering inside? I have a very fine tooth Japanese pull saw for woodworking that I would use to cut it. It leaves an extremely smooth cut in wood.

FD

Yoi would be better off cutting it with an abrasive blade on a side grinder.  That's how I adjust the length on a blank before I build it.

FDx Custom Rods
Arti-FISH-ial Entertainment
CPF Lures

Arti-FISH-ial Entertainment Guide Service
FDx Custom Rods                                   SwampCat Boat Works

The Rooster

Quote from: FD on May 01, 2021, 12:54:29 PM
Yoi would be better off cutting it with an abrasive blade on a side grinder.  That's how I adjust the length on a blank before I build it.

FDx Custom Rods
CPF Lures

I have an angle grinder with 4" cutting discs. I guess that would work?

FD

Quote from: The Rooster on May 01, 2021, 01:32:15 PM
Quote from: FD on May 01, 2021, 12:54:29 PM

FDx Custom Rods
CPF Lures

I have an angle grinder with 4" cutting discs. I guess that would work?
up. Exactly what I use.  Make sure to use eye protection cause it will spit chunks at you if you are not careful.

FDx Custom Rods
CPF Lures

WTodd

I cut about 2" off of one but didn't do any balancing. Now you have me thinking about it. I used a hacksaw and it worked fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Rooster

Quote from: WTodd on May 01, 2021, 05:48:48 PM
I cut about 2" off of one but didn't do any balancing. Now you have me thinking about it. I used a hacksaw and it worked fine.

What did you use to cap it?

FD

If it's a cork handle get one of these.  You will have to shave down a tenon for the cap to fit over, but that's easy enough with a Razor knife and some sand paper.  You can use any wood glue with cork to put it on.  You want it snug but not tight when you dry fit it.  When you glue it, spin it on, wipe the excess glue off with a wet paper towel, and stand it in the corner overnight.

FDx Custom Rods
CPF Lures

WTodd

Quote from: The Rooster on May 01, 2021, 08:24:56 PM
Quote from: WTodd on May 01, 2021, 05:48:48 PM

What did you use to cap it?
I actually used the original "plug". I carefully removed the glue, cork & blank and re-glued inside the handle; so far so good.

WTodd

Ok this is the after pic; perfect no but works fine

The Rooster

Quote from: FD on May 02, 2021, 07:43:21 AM
If it's a cork handle get one of these.  You will have to shave down a tenon for the cap to fit over, but that's easy enough with a Razor knife and some sand paper.  You can use any wood glue with cork to put it on.  You want it snug but not tight when you dry fit it.  When you glue it, spin it on, wipe the excess glue off with a wet paper towel, and stand it in the corner overnight.

FDx Custom Rods
CPF Lures

I'm loving this! Thank you! Had no idea I could buy this. I'm a woodworker so I have outdoor waterproof Titebond III glue here already.

I checked out their site and there's different styles available, which I like. I guess the key for me would be shorten the handle, shave the butt to accept the cap I choose, then find some weight to balance it that will fit inside the end of the blank where I cut it, epoxy it in place and then glue the cap on. Sound like a plan?

Bassinkorea

You might not need to balance the rod out at all, as the techniques you are using it for are tip down techniques. Try using the rod a few times before you add any weight.
2020 IBASS Gold - Zone 2 - AOY
2020 IBASS Classic - Winner
2020 IBASS Team Tourney - Winner (with FD)

FD

Quote from: The Rooster on May 03, 2021, 05:36:42 AM
Quote from: FD on May 02, 2021, 07:43:21 AM

FDx Custom Rods
CPF Lures

I'm loving this! Thank you! Had no idea I could buy this. I'm a woodworker so I have outdoor waterproof Titebond III glue here already.

I checked out their site and there's different styles available, which I like. I guess the key for me would be shorten the handle, shave the butt to accept the cap I choose, then find some weight to balance it that will fit inside the end of the blank where I cut it, epoxy it in place and then glue the cap on. Sound like a plan?
Yep.

I sometimes I have to balance a short handle set on a long rod for a client.  I will epoxy a 1/2 - 3/4 tungsten bullet weight into the butt of the blank.  I also do this on all flippin sticks.  It can make a 1-3/4 flippin weight feel like 1/2 oz, particularly when you are flipping it all day long.. saves a lot of wear and tear on the forearm.

You will need to do that first and put some masking tape over the end.  When you shove epoxy and a bullet into the blank the slightly increased air pressure inside the blank is going to try to push it back out.  When that epoxy cures install your cap.

FDx Custom Rods
CPF Lures

The Rooster

Quote from: Bassinkorea on May 03, 2021, 05:47:00 AM
You might not need to balance the rod out at all, as the techniques you are using it for are tip down techniques. Try using the rod a few times before you add any weight.

Hmm. You just gave me an idea. I have a rod that's very balanced now with the Pflueger reel that's on it, and I'm currently not using it. I wanted to get another Daiwa reel for it to replace the Pflueger, so I tried one of my other Daiwas that I have now on it. The Daiwa reel is over an ounce lighter than the Pflueger and the rod tip was way heavy with it on there. At first I just figured the rod was mismatched, but now I might just try that and see how it goes with jerkbaits.

The handle is still kind of long, so I might have to cut it, but it seems I've just learned what I'd need to do to correct that.

BassmanRudy

I didn't see this til now but I'd have probably practiced on a cheaper rod then a Premier!!

Glad it worked out for you. I would think that with with weight kit you'll be able to +/- it just enough. You also mentioned having epoxy so if she feels "nose light" could dab a little on near the tip to balance it back.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

"Rudy"
I use Mister Twister Baits!
www.mistertwister.com

The Rooster

Quote from: BassmanRudy on May 04, 2021, 12:59:25 PM
I didn't see this til now but I'd have probably practiced on a cheaper rod then a Premier!!

Glad it worked out for you. I would think that with with weight kit you'll be able to +/- it just enough. You also mentioned having epoxy so if she feels "nose light" could dab a little on near the tip to balance it back.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I actually haven't done it yet, but I ain't skeered! LOL!

Right now I'm just gathering information. I have a 6'6" ML/F Premier that I use for light crankbaits and it feels fine as I hold it. Handle not too long or in the way. I played around with it to see if I thought it would be ok for jerkbaits and it felt like it might be. I noticed the reel sets back farther on it than it does my Mojo rod. I also noticed while looking at rod charts on their site that the 6'0" handle length is supposed to be even shorter than the same rods in 6'6", so a 6'0" Premier M/F might be fine as it is with no modification at all.

fishballer06

Instead of cutting the rod and ruining any potential retail value, why not just put a Cush-It on the bottom and put a few quarters inside to weight it down?
3rd place 2019 iBass - Cool Casters
2nd place 2019 iBass - Team Tournament