Favorite Mono For Top Water ?

Started by chrisD46, May 17, 2021, 06:21:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisD46

For those that still use mono for top water poppers and walking baits  - what is your favorite mono and size line you use ? ... Thanks in advance !

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: chrisD46 on May 17, 2021, 06:21:23 AM
For those that still use mono for top water poppers and walking baits  - what is your favorite mono and size line you use ? ... Thanks in advance !

- For the smaller poppers and walkers, with a bait caster, I use a 15lb mono leader tied on a FG knot with 30lb braid for my main line. 
- Spinning out fit, 12 lb mono leader with 20lb braid as main line.
- For big spooks and whopper ploppers, I use a 20lb mono leader with 40-50lb braid as my main line.

As far as which leader mono brand I use, its whichever I get my hands on, Big Game, Ande, etc.

loomisguy

Hard to beat good ol' Big Game.. I use Yo Zuri hybrid in the 12lb. also. Really whatever I have laying around the man cave I'm not very picky about line for topwater.

Bassinkorea

I use Big Game clear a lot in both 12lb and 15lb. I bought a 3600 yard spool of each several years ago and still have a bunch of it left.
2020 IBASS Gold - Zone 2 - AOY
2020 IBASS Classic - Winner
2020 IBASS Team Tourney - Winner (with FD)

coldfront

Quote from: chrisD46 on May 17, 2021, 06:21:23 AM
have a real appreciation for Trilene XL clear blue fluorescent in typically 12# test.  Occasionally have some 10# on as well.  Limp, easy to work with.  plus when I go out at night, the UV lights it up for visibility.
never have had good experience with STREN.  Suffix is okay, but feels a little rough/brittle relative to the XL.  that's my opinion.  other folks mileage will vary.

some might ask:  why so light of line?  I work a lot with smaller poppers and the action greatly improves with the lighter line.  then, I also am using 7.5 foot rods, so the leverage from the rod helps overcome the line stretch of the lighter line.  It's a system.  some parts 'give'; some parts 'take'.

chrisD46

Thanks for the replies : I will experiment with the #30 lb. braid mainline and #12 lb. to #15 lb. mono leaders . I will also try a reel with straight up #12 lb. to #15 lb. mono as a mainline . One rod is a little more of a Med/Moderate action for braid  while the other rod is a M/F action rod better for mono .

Oldfart9999

I've used 10 and 12 lb mono on medhvy rods with good results loosen the drag helps. My favorite mono hasn't been made in years, Stren Easy cast, I use Triline now and like it. I don't throw braid with a leader, too many knots to give way.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

coldfront

Quote from: Oldfart9999 on May 19, 2021, 06:24:28 AM
I've used 10 and 12 lb mono on medhvy rods with good results loosen the drag helps. My favorite mono hasn't been made in years, Stren Easy cast, I use Triline now and like it. I don't throw braid with a leader, too many knots to give way.
Rodney
rodney:  I've been using 'uni to uni' knots for braid to flouro for years and never had a knot fail.  so I've stopped even thinking about it.
a few times I've had knots fail at the hook (palomar) but that was during a time when my 'hook batch' seemed to have some kind of 'burr/sharp edge' INSIDE the hook eye. 

I use either a 5 or a 6 wrap uni knot.  granted MOST of my leader connections are on spinning rods so it's not like I'm planning on having to snap set and pull the lake plug or anything.
lo

that said, I DO also use it for big, heavy expensive swimbaits.  have not lost one yet.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: coldfront on May 19, 2021, 07:26:29 AM
Quote from: Oldfart9999 on May 19, 2021, 06:24:28 AM
Rodney
rodney:  I've been using 'uni to uni' knots for braid to flouro for years and never had a knot fail.  so I've stopped even thinking about it.

The leader or no leader topic always brings up interesting discussion points and I do not want this informative thread to be hijacked, with that said, I too have my favorite line joining knot and when done correctly, its a solid connection where I do not even think about it.

To the OP, since you have broken down the top water topic into several threads thus far. A leader to no-leader discussion thread should probably be the next topic.  :-*

apenland01

I use a 14-17 pound straight mono, either Stren, Ande or Sunline Super Natural, as I get these on sale for around $8 per spool.  It's cheap, so I run it straight and have never had a problem.  I like a straight mono setup on my top water baits of all styles....

LgMouthGambler

Sufix Advanced. 12-17lb depending on what Im tossing.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

FD

I'm also a believer in Berkely Big Game.  Either 12 or 15 lb in the green.  I've used it for 20 years now in both fresh and salt water and it has never let me down.

FDx Custom Rods
Arti-FISH-ial Entertainment
CPF Lures

Arti-FISH-ial Entertainment Guide Service
FDx Custom Rods                                   SwampCat Boat Works

Canesfan

D.W. Verts

Old School Bass Fishin', My Hickbilly Life, and Hickbilly Outdoors with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

ohiobass

Smallie_Stalker

When I fished mono, on baitcasters it was 14 lb Trilene. XL in open water or around grass, XT around wood or rock.

For smaller or lighter baits like the original floating Rapala I used 10 lb. on a medium spinning rod. Same lines under same conditions.

Sent from my One Plus 9 Pro 5G using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire