Favorite Mono Line For Top Water ?

Started by chrisD46, May 20, 2021, 07:31:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisD46

I believe prop baits and poppers used at more accurate intermediate distances may benefit from using mono line instead of braid +  leader set ups ... Some may simply prefer mono main line better for lures like poppers , prop baits and even walking baits . *If you are a still a fan of mono line for top water what brand and line size are your favorites ? ...Thanks in advance !

FlatsNBay

I'm a big fan of 12 lb. Trilene Big Game. It seems like it's bullet proof and I don't remember having a break off with it.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

loomisguy

I would agree with 12lb. whatever.  The exception for me is if I am fishing a bigger walking bait and trying to heave it a long way. In that case I use 30lb. braid.
The combination of the stretch of mono ,a heavy bait and a long cast is not the best combination for good hook sets.

chrisD46

Quote from: FlatsNBay on May 20, 2021, 04:58:00 PM
I'm a big fan of 12 lb. Trilene Big Game. It seems like it's bullet proof and I don't remember having a break off with it.

*Always a good supply of #12 lb. Big Game at stores near me - for top water are you a fan of the clear or the smoke green color Big Game ?

loomisguy

On Table Rock I've always liked a green tint if I can get it . Does it matter ? beats me, but it's a mental deal for me.
Another great line I forgot to mention is the Suffix Advance.

chrisD46

Quote from: loomisguy on May 25, 2021, 04:44:06 AM
On Table Rock I've always liked a green tint if I can get it . Does it matter ? beats me, but it's a mental deal for me.
Another great line I forgot to mention is the Suffix Advance.
*I concur - I have not seen the Sufix Advance yet and am curious about it's new attributes . Sufix Seige , Trilene XL and Big Game in that #12 lb. , #14 lb. & possible #15 lb. range should all do the trick to experiment with .

geneinnc

Quattro Camo line. I bought it for the stealth benefits and was happy to find it casts like a rocket
and outlasts the memory monster better than most. I rig it straight 12# test and drop back to 8# for super stealth. It also works like a champ as a leader. It really holds the leader knot much better than most mono lines.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Bassinkorea

12 and 15lb Big Game clear for me. I have been using it for years with ZERO problems.
2020 IBASS Gold - Zone 2 - AOY
2020 IBASS Classic - Winner
2020 IBASS Team Tourney - Winner (with FD)

rb-nc

Sunline Defier. I don't use mono much, never on topwater. But I do crank with this in winter. Probably the less stretch of any nylon

geneinnc

Quote from: rb-nc on May 27, 2021, 07:46:33 AM
Sunline Defier. I don't use mono much, never on topwater. But I do crank with this in winter. Probably the less stretch of any nylon
Are you using braid for topwater?
I put some 10# blue braid on last week on a Revo X 20 paired to a 7'2 St Croix ML. I was using Zara pup and it threw like a sling shot. I don't know about the fish but I could not see the blue at all. I quit using it because my cousin couldn't see it either and I didn't want to tangle us both up.

I switched back to the Quattro camo line for topwater because fluro was keeping the nose down on my topwater lures. I'm curious as to what you're using on topwater.

chrisD46

OP here : I believe running #12 lb. to #15 lb. mono for poppers is suitable ... for walking baits it's possible braid may have the advantage due to longer casts , shorter twitches with braid and better hook ups at distance . With a popper / mono combo I'm looking at shorter more precise casts where braid may hurt more that it helps .

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: chrisD46 on May 27, 2021, 08:54:06 AM
With a popper / mono combo I'm looking at shorter more precise casts where braid may hurt more that it helps .

It may or may not, depending on the type of rod and how the reel is setup. If the rod has a forgiving tip, and the drag is set up on the reel just right, braid can work in shorter distances. This may fall under as a personal preference.

geneinnc

Quote from: Bassinlou on May 27, 2021, 09:20:30 AM
Quote from: chrisD46 on May 27, 2021, 08:54:06 AM
With a popper / mono combo I'm looking at shorter more precise casts where braid may hurt more that it helps .

It may or may not, depending on the type of rod and how the reel is setup. If the rod has a forgiving tip, and the drag is set up on the reel just right, braid can work in shorter distances. This may fall under as a personal preference.
I was just reading the thread again and was going to note the personal preference variance factor. This is from people that I consider to be excellent fisherman. This thread is an eye opener!

rb-nc

Quote from: geneinnc on May 27, 2021, 08:08:54 AM
Quote from: rb-nc on May 27, 2021, 07:46:33 AM
Are you using braid for topwater?
I put some 10# blue braid on last week on a Revo X 20 paired to a 7'2 St Croix ML. I was using Zara pup and it threw like a sling shot. I don't know about the fish but I could not see the blue at all. I quit using it because my cousin couldn't see it either and I didn't want to tangle us both up.
95% of all my rods are braid to some kind of leader. And I used to HATE braid. My son made the change too and he fished Dale Hollow a bunch, he just ran longer leaders. On the topwater rod I use a custom rod that I built with Microwave guide system on an Academy H2O reel with 30lb pink braid. Cast great and cuts down on fatigue of snapping the rod all day. The Sunline is an EXCELLENT mono. Cast great and low stretch

I switched back to the Quattro camo line for topwater because fluro was keeping the nose down on my topwater lures. I'm curious as to what you're using on topwater.

big g

Quote from: FlatsNBay on May 20, 2021, 04:58:00 PM

Ditto ~c~ ~c~ ~c~
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

chrisD46

*Just to add : I saw a Rick Clunn video where by he uses #17 lb. mono using an improved clinch knot tied to the very bottom of the line tie  (no split ring) of a small 1/4 oz. Rico . The Rico is famous for having the bottom lip sanded down flat and it "spits" instead of chugs in the water . Even on a small top water Clunn stated he used #17 lb. mono to keep the Rico always high on the surface and fished it very fast making it continuously spit across the surface all the way back to the boat ... Clunn stated this method lands him 3X the amount of bass than using other poppers with a lighter weight line . Lastly Clunn stated Zell Rowland (noted top water popper expert) learned most of what he knows from fishing with and picking Rick Clunn's brain about top water popper fishing . I'm sure a lot of guys could say that about Rick Clunn - the guy is a marvel still doing what he does and is a living legend .

FlatsNBay

I don't think that mono color makes a difference unless you were fishing in super clear water, then I'd give the nod to clear.

pantera61