Favorite Reel Gear Grease ?

Started by chrisD46, June 13, 2021, 05:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisD46

What is your current favorite reel gear grease for both bait cast and spinning reels ? I have Super Lube grease but some say it is not a good grease for the gears ... What reel grease for just the gears as I am set with all other lubes - thanks !

Fun4me

I use Super Lube. I think it works fine.

SHC286

I use reel butter or that red stuff. Mostly cause I wanted to try a a grease that was specifically made for reels, and so that's what's in my drawer right now.

But ya know what? I've experimented with several different greases and oils, gun oils, ATF, ballistol (one of my faves for everything under the sun), synthetic motor oil, conventional motor oil, gear oil, high temp machine grease like you'd grease hub bearings with. Only thing I've found that's not worth a damn is white lithium dielectric grease, the stuff that looks like a cream. If the super lube y'all mention is the same stuff in my toolbox, that's a dielectric grease too, but obviously not the same stuff. Mine is kind of an opaque colorless grease.

Oldfart9999

I've used Quantum Hot Sauce with excellent results, the last time I picked up some Cal's drag grease, it works well also for for the rest of the reel. For oil again the Hot Sauce is excellent but I tried TSI 321, it's excellent also and a bit less costly. If you use Hot Sauce on a new reel many brands will not warranty the reel.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

chrisD46

Thanks for replies - Mike Cork may chime in what he uses specifically for reel gear grease ? ... **Interesting to note that on the "Japan Tackle" web site - Shimano has approx. 5 or 6 different specific reel gear greases ! I just want a reel gear grease that stays in place , handles cold and hot temp ranges , water proof , lasts a decent length of time - and doesn't dry out or turn to crud inside your reel .

apenland01

Mike Cork

Sorry I'm late on this, it's been a busy week and weekend...

I used Super Lube for years. However my southern customers started saying it only took a couple months and they believed the reel was getting noisy when winding. After some personal in-depth experimenting, I switched anyone below a line that doesn't "regularly" get snow and south, to Cals or Shimano drag grease. I've seen best results with Cal's. The Shimano drag grease can get think in the winter time.

To anyone that does their own maintenance I highly recommend Super Lube for the winter six months and the Cals for the summer months.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

chrisD46

Thanks Mike ! ... Down here in Georgia I believe I would definitely  be a Cal's drag grease candidate .

Mike Cork

Yes you are, it's a bit thicker but also tackier so it stays on the gears better in the heat.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

chrisD46

*Interesting negative comment about the Quantum Hot Sauce Grease : I have heard good reviews as well as really bad ones , so I guess it depends ... Shimano and I believe Cal's universal greases appear to be made for reel gears and may be worth researching further .