Bass Fishing Forum Bass Fishing Forum

Site Slogan

News: NEW FORUM! Yes, this is UB! Feedback HERE!

Did I Make The Right Choice. - You're Thoughts?

(Read 2196 times)

BECOME A CHARTER MEMBER SUPPORT UB

Smallie_Stalker

• CM Community Diplomat
  • Dobyns Rods When fishing is more than just a hobby
As always I have to give some background so you know my thought process and why I made the choice(s) I did. And as always, I'm asking for honest feedback on whether you would have done things different and why.

Since I had the option to upgrade the Fury rod I won in the Guess The Classic Winning Weight Contest I decided to do that. After looking at my finances and realizing I couldn't really do an Xtasy and feel good about it I decided to think about what techniques I actually needed a rod for. I had my eye on 2 Kadens so I decided I would do the upgrade to one Kaden and then buy the second one.

The two Kadens I wanted were the KD 745 C and the KD 735 CB.  As luck would have it I waited one day too long to place my order and the KD 745 C  went out of stock overnight.  :(  So now I had to figure out a different rod to replace it.

Since one of the primary uses I wanted the 745 for was as a backup to my LSCR frog rod (along with a couple other techniques) I went to work looking for a different rod that would do what I wanted. It essentially came down to a choice between the DC 735 C FH or the Sierra 735 C both of which do frogs well. I spent hours torturing myself trying to decide between the two and here's why:

I prefer full cork handles and the DC 735 C was has them and was designed to be the ultimate frogging rod so that gave it a lot of appeal. The Sierra however has an ever so slightly softer tip than the DC and I also wanted a rod that would do LARGE topwater like Super Spooks big Whopper Ploppers etc. plus heavy Lipless Cranks like 3/4 - 1 oz. lipless cranks.

Based on all the things I wanted out of a single rod (yeah, I know, I ask a lot out of one rod).I decided to go with the Sierra 735 C and live with the split cork grip.  Using my SA 734C as a reference I figure the slightly softer tip should handle the big treble hook lures a little better but still have plenty of power and backbone to fish a frog.

So did I make the right choice? Would you have chosen the DC 735 C, or even a different rod instead? I'd like to hear some thoughts on this.

Thanks all.

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Capt. BassinLou

• CM Chief Community Diplomat
Not much to think about Jim. I have both 735's in both series. For my clients I got the 735 Sierra for froggin and power fishing. I frogged with the Sierra for a bit to make sure it was the right rod for the job, and it was. I didn't notice a significant difference between the two 735's. You can rest peacefully now.  lo lo

Smallie_Stalker

• CM Community Diplomat
Thanks Lou. Appreciate the feedback from the frog master!  ~beer~

Capt. BassinLou

• CM Chief Community Diplomat
Thanks Lou. Appreciate the feedback from the frog master!  ~beer~

lo lo Master?.... I don't know about all that...  lo lo You're welcome Jim, best of luck with your purchase.  ~beer~

Dink Dawg

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
I guess I bought the last Kaden 745. Sorry. Living in doubt is a Terrible thing.

Smallie_Stalker

• CM Community Diplomat
I guess I bought the last Kaden 745. Sorry. Living in doubt is a Terrible thing.
Since it went to someone from the UB family you're forgiven.

Sent from my One Plus 9 Pro 5G using Tapatalk

Mike Cork

• Father Time
  • Admin
  • Get the Net it's a Hawg
Sorry I skipped over this one apparently.

I think your logic is sound. I've used the Sierra 735 for years and it's a great frog rod and an outstanding whopper plopper rod. The only place it might leave you a little to stout is on the spook side of the game but your Sierra 734 will pick up the slack there. Of course I'm a fisherman and this is all a personal preference deal, you are really splitting hairs on this one LOL
Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service