Moving to the dark side

Started by apiazza, June 25, 2021, 10:59:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

apiazza

Shortly after I really started collecting rods/reels I thought that I wished I had gone left hand retrieve. I was sorta committed at that point, though I don't own as many combos as most on here.

Well after upgrading to a pedal drive kayak that has dedicated rudder control on the left side I think I have made the decision to jump to the dark side and start replacing my right hand retrieve with left hand retrieve. That way I don't have to keep flip flopping the rod to make rudder adjustments. Ironically, all my spinners are setup as left hand retrieve. Some weird habit I guess I picked up over the years..

This all comes at a time that I was looking to upgrade a lews Mach II that I have paired on my workhorse Sierra 734. I throw this rod more than any other by a long shot so it seems like a great place to start the conversion anyway.

Most my reels are Shimano but considering branching out into other brands. I have a Diawa Tatula 150 that feels too wide for my little hands, at least for the way I palm the reel. I have no real experience with Abu or 13 fishing. I like the size of the lews in my hand, but not a huge fan of the brakes (higher end model might be better) or graphite frame.

What suggestions do we have? Looking for 7.X gear ratio, prefer metal frame but not a must and would like to be sub $200.

If anyone is interested in doing right for left trades, feel free to shoot me a message and maybe work something out that way.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Mike Cork

I wish I could swap to the left but it's just not going to happen. I've tried a couple times and the kid licking the window on the school bus comes to mind instantly....

I'm a Shimano fan, so much so I can't compare brands anymore. The SLX MGL 70 is a fine little reel that will fit your needs, it comes in the three major speeds and both handed.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

apiazza

Quote from: Mike Cork on June 25, 2021, 11:47:21 AM
I wish I could swap to the left but it's just not going to happen. I've tried a couple times and the kid licking the window on the school bus comes to mind instantly....

I'm a Shimano fan, so much so I can't compare brands anymore. The SLX MGL 70 is a fine little reel that will fit your needs, it comes in the three major speeds and both handed.
I figured if I can manage a spinner left handed I should get used to the baitcaster pretty quick.

I have a slx and slx xt. Love the xt for the price. The mgl might be an option for certain rods, but haven't used one (or the DC) yet.

Smallie_Stalker

I have become pretty much a Daiwa guy but over the past year I bought 2 different Lew's reels because  I got them for an incredible bargain. They both normally sell for between $150 and $170 and both have the dual braking system and aluminum frames. I've got to say I'm impressed.

I'll try and find the model numbers and list them for you.

Sent from my One Plus 9 Pro 5G using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

apiazza

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on June 25, 2021, 12:01:15 PM
I have become pretty much a Daiwa guy but over the past year I bought 2 different Lew's reels because  I got them for an incredible bargain. They both normally sell for between $150 and $170 and both have the dual braking system and aluminum frames. I've got to say I'm impressed.

Sounds about the price of the tournament series or BB1

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: apiazza on June 25, 2021, 12:43:09 PM
Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on June 25, 2021, 12:01:15 PM

Sounds about the price of the tournament series or BB1

I believe you're right. Gotta get to a PC and look them up in my database to be sure.

Smallie_Stalker

These are the two Lew's reels I have:

Tournament SLP Speed Spool - Model # TSLP1SHL

Tournament MP Speed Spool LFS - Model # TS1HMPL

apiazza

Thanks smallie! The tournament mp is on the short list.

Anyone have experience with the abu revo sx? Dual brakes like the Shimano svs system is intriguing.

apiazza

So I made the jump, well started...

Picked up a 13 fishing concept A2. Reel size and shape feels very similar to the Shimano reels, which to me is a good thing. I didn't throw that rod as much on the first outing mostly because I threw a frog most the day. Feels super smooth, but I need to work on spool tension and brakes (I like the easy 1 thru 7, but what prefer it on exterior of sideplate) to fit my style. I seemed to backlash more than usual. I did also switch that rod from fluro to braid so that might have something to do with it.

All in all, I think the switch was good. Nice being able to better control the rudder while still fishing and not having to bounce the rod from hand to hand.

Capt. BassinLou

I have only thrown the Concept Z's, once you dial these reels in, they cast very well. Keep us updated. Congrats on your purchase.

fishballer06

Quote from: apiazza on July 12, 2021, 05:54:25 AM
Picked up a 13 fishing concept A2. Reel size and shape feels very similar to the Shimano reels, which to me is a good thing. I didn't throw that rod as much on the first outing mostly because I threw a frog most the day. Feels super smooth, but I need to work on spool tension and brakes (I like the easy 1 thru 7, but what prefer it on exterior of sideplate) to fit my style. I seemed to backlash more than usual. I did also switch that rod from fluro to braid so that might have something to do with it.
More than likely, you're used to Shimano's braking system and using a different brand with a different braking system will take some getting used to. I'm primarily all Shimano's, and whenever I use a Daiwa, or Quantum, or whatever brand, I usually have to tweak my normal casting style to fit the reel.
3rd place 2019 iBass - Cool Casters
2nd place 2019 iBass - Team Tournament

zippyduck

Quote from: fishballer06 on July 12, 2021, 08:24:25 AM
Quote from: apiazza on July 12, 2021, 05:54:25 AM
More than likely, you're used to Shimano's braking system and using a different brand with a different braking system will take some getting used to. I'm primarily all Shimano's, and whenever I use a Daiwa, or Quantum, or whatever brand, I usually have to tweak my normal casting style to fit the reel.

Like Fishballer I use Daiwas but have others that I have to get used to when I switch to the other brands.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"