UNsteady Retrieves

Started by D.W. Verts, July 10, 2021, 04:16:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D.W. Verts

So I'm thinking of things to share, and I think to myself "Why? Let 'em figure it out for themselves." Well, that felt a little cold and since I'm gonna die someday anyway, I figured "why not? and decided to share. So here you go-

There's not hardly a lure, technique, or presentation that won't benefit from an UN steady retrieve. There you go, and you're welcome.

What's that? You want more information? Okay, since you asked nice...

A typical fisherman tosses a lure out, engages the reel, and then just cranks 'er back in. Over and over. And over. Boring, right? Well, I'm telling you (and this really applies to the "toss and crank" lures and techniques) that if you learn to vary your retrieve, changing your speeds, stopping the lure etc. that not only will you catch more bass, but I would bet that you can double, or triple (or more) your catches. For real.

Reason #1 is from the order of Nature standpoint in the fact that REAL minnows and other assorted things that bass like to munch on rarely (almost never) just swim along in a straight line and at the same speed. It really looks kind of dumb to be doing just that with you crank, chatter and spinnerbaits. Doesn't it? Why do you think that a jerkbait works so darn well?

Reason #2- Changing speeds will just flat make a bass bite. Sometimes. Heck, sometimes it's the ONLY thing that will make a bass bite. And guess what- it's a killer for big bass, too.

So learn the "stop and go" with a crankbait. Learn to "flutter" a spinnerbait. I like to "pop" a buzzbait every few feet, all the while slowing it down and speeding it up (caution is to be taken with a topwater because too much of an extreme change in retrieval speeds can cause missed strikes.) So be a little more subtle, dig? Plop, plop, plop, SPLASH, plop, plop, plop, plop, SPLASH... Get it?

Another tip- my all time favorite BIG bass-catchin' retrieve for a spinnerbait is a pre-spawn, low 50's to 60 degree water monster-wrecking MAGNET that involves a slow-roll to medium retrieve, where I "jiggle" my rod tip every few feet, and either slow my retrieve down for a quick second, or stop cranking entirely for even less than that. I'm giving that bait a "shake" with the rod tip, actually throwing it an inch or slow of slack which I immediately take back up and continue the retrieve. This makes the lure do a little flutter, dance a little side step, and meanwhile those blades are clankin' on the shaft and off of each other, and sirs and ma'ams, this is the BIG DOG of spinnerbait retrieves for me. Period, end of story and Get The Net.

The only bait right now that I throw with a fairly steady retrieve is the Whopper Plopper. When they're biting it it doesn't seem to matter, they just go ka-BLOOEY and it's done.

And reason #3- All of those other lazy bassers are just crankin' their baits along all steady-like and that right there is why you need to learn most (all) of the above. Pure-D fact. And there you go.

Dale
Old School Bass Fishin', My Hickbilly Life, and Hickbilly Outdoors with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

Bassinkorea

Thanks for putting all that down on paper (so to speak) Dale  ~c~ ~c~

Great info that DOES work!  :-* :-*
2020 IBASS Gold - Zone 2 - AOY
2020 IBASS Classic - Winner
2020 IBASS Team Tourney - Winner (with FD)

Capt. BassinLou

Good stuff right their Dale.

See,,, and your worried about shooting videos. Explain everything you just typed while sticking a big ole bass, and your in business.  :-* :-*

Princeton_Man

Quote from: Bassinkorea on July 12, 2021, 02:23:25 AM
Thanks for putting all that down on paper (so to speak) Dale  ~c~ ~c~

Great info that DOES work!  :-* :-*
Quote from: Capt. BassinLou on July 12, 2021, 05:35:54 AM
Good stuff right their Dale.

See,,, and your worried about shooting videos. Explain everything you just typed while sticking a big ole bass, and your in business.  :-* :-*

^     
What they just said!
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Oldfart9999

It's like bumping cover that's not there, sure does work. Good read Dale.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Wizard

Dale didn't give all the secrets away.  As you're retrieving your lure, make the lure jump an inch or more. With a bait caster, tap the bottom of the rod with your fore finger as you continue to retrieve. With a spinning rod, tap the line as you retrieve. Here's another; using a DD22 as a top water. Cast it lure to the target and let it sit until the ripples stop. Pull 6-8 inches of line off your reel. Snap your rod tip to throw the slack straight towards the lure. The large bill will dip and raise and the lure will back up an inch or two. No bite? Snap the rod tip to the right or left and the lure will turn. No bite? Retrieve back to the boat. You have made the DD22 resemble a nervous shad and then a fleeing shad. You're welcome.
Opps! One more for you. When fishing a jerk bait, while it is paused and at rest gently tap the rod or line one time only. This will make the lure shimmy in place.

Wizard

Donald Garner

Dale, Wizard, tks for sharing those tips.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

D.W. Verts

Old School Bass Fishin', My Hickbilly Life, and Hickbilly Outdoors with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!

Oldfart9999

You 2 just like giving away all the secrets, keep it up and there won't be any more secrets left.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Basstagger

Thanks for the tip Dale.  :)I just started using a Whopper Plopper and I was doing exactly what You said most of us do- Throw it out far and use a steady retrieve. I took your advice and caught a bass 4# 1 oz this afternoon when I paused my retrieve and she slammed it. I tagged it with tag #24 so I hope to catch her again.

D.W. Verts

Quote from: Basstagger on August 07, 2021, 08:29:36 PM
Thanks for the tip Dale.  :)I just started using a Whopper Plopper and I was doing exactly what You said most of us do- Throw it out far and use a steady retrieve. I took your advice and caught a bass 4# 1 oz this afternoon when I paused my retrieve and she slammed it. I tagged it with tag #24 so I hope to catch her again.

And there you go. Video coming soon.

Dale