One Rod for Flutter Spoons and some other something else?

Started by strongx, July 29, 2021, 06:46:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

strongx

I am using 4" and 5" flutter spoons mainly around an oz or a little over. I may go up to the 6" spoon, but they weigh quite a bit more. I kind of hate to buy a rod just for spoons, and I would like to be able to use the rod for a couple of different baits. For instance, I hear the DX784 is good for spoons and dragging jigs. I am trying to decide between the dx784c and dc764c. Maybe there is another rod to consider? I don't have a dx745 (yet). Maybe I go ahead and bite the bullet. What do you guys think? ~read

zippyduck

I would use the 784. And use it for football jigs and carolina rigs.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Dink Dawg

Gary fished spoons at Lake Fork quite a bit.  Call Dobyns and get his recommendation.

strongx

Quote from: zippyduck on July 29, 2021, 08:00:34 PM
I would use the 784. And use it for football jigs and carolina rigs.
I think that is what I want to do. I see the 784 is rated 1/4-1. Is that gonna work for the 5" spoons? I assume the 784 would cast them great.

I read where Gary liked the 795SB for the mag spoons, but I assume it would be too much for 1 oz spoons. I may be wrong though. The dc764c is rated for more weight, but I repeatedly hear what a great rod the dx784 is.

Gary Dobyns

I've mostly fished the 5" Flutter spoon and I used the DX 784C the most. I believe the DC 764C will work great as well. They'll both handle the 4" well too. Truthfully, I haven't played with the 6" spoon. The 8" spoon I go to a 795 SB rod. This bait is heavy, a lighter rod will fish it fine, but it needs the 795SB for casting the bait. THX!!

strongx

Great. Thanks guys. I will look forward to the DX784. Ive heard it's a great rod!