Deep Cranking line preferences for 10XDs and Big M 7.5s....

Started by hydrillagorillahunter, July 27, 2021, 06:57:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hydrillagorillahunter

I've seen guys run 12# fluoro with no issues, but tend to notice most running 14-15# fluoro and up for these bigger plugs.  Anyone here throwing 12# fluoro and if not why? 

D.W. Verts

Welll.... right now that's exactly what I'm using. But I'm still tore about any real advantages that this fluoro stuff has over mono.  Anyway, stay with the 12#. Or even 10 and yes, even on the big plugs.

I'm experimenting with this new line technology this summer, simply because I need to prove that I can lean and be swayed. Maybe.

Dale
Old School Bass Fishin', My Hickbilly Life, and Hickbilly Outdoors with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

hydrillagorillahunter

Quote from: D.W. Verts on July 27, 2021, 09:50:57 PM
Welll.... right now that's exactly what I'm using. But I'm still tore about any real advantages that this fluoro stuff has over mono.  Anyway, stay with the 12#. Or even 10 and yes, even on the big plugs.

I'm experimenting with this new line technology this summer, simply because I need to prove that I can lean and be swayed. Maybe.

Dale

yeah i have 12# assassin spooled currently, which can be tricky on newly spooled line due to how slick assassin is in whipping a 2oz plug back on an 8' rod with a fisherman's thumb...trying to keep the spool from slipping on the cast.

Bassinkorea

I have thrown 10XDs on 12lb fluoro, but I feel much more comfortable throwing these BIG plugs on 14lb.
2020 IBASS Gold - Zone 2 - AOY
2020 IBASS Classic - Winner
2020 IBASS Team Tourney - Winner (with FD)

loomisguy

10 or 12 for me. I usually use flouro and always liked Invisx for cranking. Back in the day I remember using 6lb. for wiggle warts trying to squeeze every inch out of them.
That was worrisome.

Oldfart9999

Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Wizard

I'm with Dale on using mono.  One key to deep cranking is knowing the depth of the bait you are imitating and picking the right lure. To do this you need to be consistent in the type and size of line.  Normally, the smaller the line diameter, the deeper the plug will run. Because mono will stretch, I feel it has an advantage on light line. I don't use the 10XD but do use the DD22, Mann's Stretch 30 and Bagley Dredge as my deep cranks.  My line is 10 and 12 lb. BPS Excel. By the way, I fish my deep cranks using a Quantum 3.8:1 reel. It pulls 15 inches per revolution. I feel the very slow retrieve allows the lure to reach maximum depth while not over working the lure.

Wizard

hydrillagorillahunter

Quote from: Bassinkorea on July 28, 2021, 04:04:17 AM
I have thrown 10XDs on 12lb fluoro, but I feel much more comfortable throwing these BIG plugs on 14lb.

appreciate the feedback from you all.  @bassinkorea...i did have 14# sniper on but needed to get down past 25' consistently on a big m 7.5...and yeah i'll long line it if needed but with a tailwind it's lob and sail all day easily.

D.W. Verts

I tried braid on the big baits last summer. It was interesting and I will do it again, I was using 30# which is maybe 12# mono diameter.

Like Wizard says, it's the DIAMETER of the line that gives you the depth. I think that this fluoro is a larger diameter than the mono in the same pound test.

Dale
Old School Bass Fishin', My Hickbilly Life, and Hickbilly Outdoors with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

loomisguy

I think SK bases their advertised depths on 14lb. Flouro so really it just depends if your trying to get every inch out of it and pick a line size accordingly. Risk vs reward.
Flouro will still stretch plenty . I don't see a downside to it for any sub surface bait other than cost. 

caddyjoe77

12 or 14 myself.  for no other reason than thats what I have always thought was good. 
BeerMe

hydrillagorillahunter

Quote from: caddyjoe77 on July 30, 2021, 10:37:21 PM
12 or 14 myself.  for no other reason than thats what I have always thought was good.

yeah i'm glued to 12 and 14 as well joe.  i've been running 12# assassin as it has less stretch and more abrasion resistance than the sniper i was running before and it casts further.