Pitching dense milfoil in 7-10 ft

Started by Braiken, August 04, 2021, 09:35:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Braiken

ALL THINGS CORK - Praise the lord!  More like 5 power or 6 power?  I'm making relatively short  pitches in dense milfoil in 7-10 ft. of water with 12-20# FC with 1/2 -3/4 oz pegged weights, occasionally a full ounce. Want to get another rod primarily for that purpose.  I have a couple SC Premier Heavy, fast rods that do the job fine, although I guess they'd be considered meat sticks but I guess that's fine - I'd rather be overpowered than playing finesse in the dense milfoil.  Sensitivity isn't the biggest requisite when fishing primarily vertically, once you recognize the bite.  I'm looking at the 736C FH XP or the Fred Roumbanis DC 736C FR (frog rod).  Not sure if those 2 rods are basically identical in all respects (action/tip) although the main stats seem to be, incl their XF actions?  I have the 7'6 FLIP (really too long for my 5'6 stature with tip down techniques) but I'm guessing these 7'3" rods would seem close to that stoutness of the 7'6.  Seems like overkill?  I just feel b/o my collection of Dobyn rods that they often fish lighter than the specs might indicate.  I have the 745 Extreme and love it, but I wouldn't pitch with 3/4 or an ounce with  that rod cause I just would feel underpowered, but maybe cause I'm used to the Premier Heavy power 7'0 rods I'm used to?   Mike your input has been huge in my decision making and welcome your thoughts.

BassmanRudy

I would think the 736C FR would handle things nicely. For me like you mentioned the 5 power doesn't handle above 3/4oz punching that well.

Also the Fred Roubanis rods are currently marked down $80 or so at academy sports and the Dobyns site if that helps.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

"Rudy"
I use Mister Twister Baits!
www.mistertwister.com

Mike Cork

Quote from: Braiken on August 04, 2021, 09:35:10 PM
I'm making relatively short  pitches in dense milfoil in 7-10 ft. of water with 12-20# FC with 1/2 -3/4 oz pegged weights, occasionally a full ounce. Want to get another rod primarily for that purpose.  I have a couple SC Premier Heavy, fast rods that do the job fine, although I guess they'd be considered meat sticks - I'd rather be overpowered than playing finesse in the dense milfoil. 

Sensitivity isn't the biggest requisite when fishing primarily vertically, once you recognize the bite. I'm looking at the 736C FH XP or the Fred Roumbanis DC 736C FR (frog rod).  Not sure if those 2 rods are basically identical in all respects (action/tip) although the main stats seem to be, incl their XF actions?  I have the 7'6 FLIP (really too long for my 5'6 stature with tip down techniques) but I'm guessing these 7'3" rods would seem close to that stoutness of the 7'6.  Seems like overkill?  I just feel b/o my collection of Dobyn rods that they often fish lighter than the specs might indicate.  I have the 745 Extreme and love it, but I wouldn't pitch with 3/4 or an ounce with  that rod cause I just would feel underpowered, but maybe cause I'm used to the Premier Heavy power 7'0 rods I'm used to?   Mike your input has been huge in my decision making and welcome your thoughts.

I personally love a Dobyns Flipping Rod 5 Power. For me the 795 is the cats meow for fishing something like this. You can check out my review here 795 Review and more in depth info here Punching Tools     But let's dial the rod length down to the 7'3" you want. You seem like you want to horse fish out of the milfoil, a 6 power, in a regular casting model, is going to give you all the power you need. I have two XP 736 rods and I swear if I had to I could pull my truck down the driveway with them. I use them specifically for frog rods. Now you have to be careful with a frog, the rod is fast and you'll pull the bait from them. But if you give that half a second, you'll drive those big frog hooks deep.

So for short flips and punches to milfoil, if you don't want to fish a flipping class rod, then stepping into the 6 power will put plenty of strength at your disposal. I wouldn't go any less than 1/2 with this rod though. I can throw the 5/8 ounce frog very well and pitch it accurately so I think you'll be fine at 1/2 with any choice of plastic.

Since you're not worried about sensitivity, any casting rod in the Dobyns line that offers a 6 power would be good. Like BassmanRudy said, the Fred Roubanis rods are on clearance  :-*

Just in case someone reading this is concerned about sensitivity,  the HP 746 is also a pulling machine, I love this rod in the winter when the bite is lite but we have to pitch jigs to heavy cover in less than 8 ft of water. Another rod that I used for a similar situation to your milfoil is the Xtasy DRX 755. The DRX 755 is WOW sensitive and light, this is the only rod I'd say has as much back bone in a 5 power as the rest of the 6 powers. It's hard to believe how strong it is when it weighs so little.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Braiken

Thanx for the feedback Mike.  Hope you are feeling good and all is fine with you and your family.  Is that green Roumbanis 736C FR the same blank/rod as the champion 736C FH XP, with the exception that it has the split grip?

Mike Cork

I haven't held it, I should have the last time I was at the factory, however let me see if I can get Gary to help us out. It might take him a bit as he's been winged with a shoulder surgery and he's a hunt and peck typer anyway so now he's down to one finger ~roflmao

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Braiken

down to one finger and a little bass pond to call his own!

zippyduck

I agree with Mike. Great info.
The Roubanis and the Champion 736 are the same blank. I would love to tell you the story but I've been sworn to secrecy.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Braiken

THANK EVERYONE FOR THE GOOD INFO.  GOING TO GET THE GREAT DEAL ON THE CLEARANCE.  HEY, I LIKE GREEN!

Dink Dawg

Xtreme 795 for sure.  Too long?  Extreme 746.  Over budget?  Champion 736 or 766.  Still over budget? Kaden 765. Any of these would do an awesome job.

Gary Dobyns

I'm late here. Yes, either 736C should work perfectly for what you're looking for. THX!!!