Lee's Polar Kraft 1670

Started by topdsm0138, August 27, 2021, 03:10:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

topdsm0138

Well, all anyone had in store (between Bass Pro and West Marine) was short bunks. They'll do until I can order some longer ones.
"I'm a simple man, with simple pleasures." -Trevor Belmont

topdsm0138

topdsm0138

Serious question as all I've ever owned are light jon boats. Do you guys thing that I should have a 36lb or 45lb thrust trolling motor? And will 36" be enough to mount on the back transom? I'm just going for a sime hand controlled transom mount. Any help is appreciated.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: topdsm0138 on November 27, 2021, 04:16:03 PM
Serious question as all I've ever owned are light jon boats. Do you guys thing that I should have a 36lb or 45lb thrust trolling motor? And will 36" be enough to mount on the back transom? I'm just going for a sime hand controlled transom mount. Any help is appreciated.
55lbs. You won't regret it.

Donald Garner

I have a 54lb hand controlled 12volt trolling motor on the transom and a 46lb foot control 12 volt mounted on the bow of my G3 1548 Alweded jon boat.  Get the 55lb thrust one that will be all you'll need to back up that outboard and to do some trolling.

Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Oldfart9999

55 lb as others have said. You may want to try a bow mount, they work better for boat control in breezy to windy when you fish shallow.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

FishaHallic

Quote from: Capt. BassinLou on November 27, 2021, 05:10:53 PM
Quote from: topdsm0138 on November 27, 2021, 04:16:03 PM
55lbs. You won't regret it.

Agree
17' Grizzly w/40hp etec, micro powerpole,  Lowrance Elite 9 TI 2  9lbs 15oz PB     2021 winner of Ted and Dave's spring classic
                            TRUTH MATTERS

topdsm0138

For 180 bucks, how can I say no?! Still gives me money to get a Group 27 batter too. (I budgeted $320 max)

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: topdsm0138 on December 02, 2021, 02:56:40 PM
For 180 bucks, how can I say no?! Still gives me money to get a Group 27 batter too. (I budgeted $320 max)

~c~ ~c~ You found one!! Good for you.  ~beer~

topdsm0138

Ok, I've decided on where I'm going to relocate my battery. I'm going to put my floor in and then build a storage compartment to the left. This will house my battery and misc stuff like my life jackets, first aid kit, anchor light, etc.. (pic at bottom, area in red)

Now, the trolling motor and charging system worked great. Where my old 35lb Minnkota on the Tracker would have been dead by end of day (no motor charging system), this one kept going strong. I can comfortably stand and reach the motor as needed, no issues. Once I get the boat headed straight, I can use speed 1 and move at a decent pace to cover water and the banks. Thank you guys for the advice and input on the Thrust Size as the 50lb/42' was perfect for this boat.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: topdsm0138 on December 05, 2021, 10:18:01 AM
Ok, I've decided on where I'm going to relocate my battery. I'm going to put my floor in and then build a storage compartment to the left. This will house my battery and misc stuff like my life jackets, first aid kit, anchor light, etc.. (pic at bottom, area in red)

Now, the trolling motor and charging system worked great. Where my old 35lb Minnkota on the Tracker would have been dead by end of day (no motor charging system), this one kept going strong. I can comfortably stand and reach the motor as needed, no issues. Once I get the boat headed straight, I can use speed 1 and move at a decent pace to cover water and the banks. Thank you guys for the advice and input on the Thrust Size as the 50lb/42' was perfect for this boat.
Happy to hear the TM is working great for you.

topdsm0138

So started to build a small, portable baitwell/livewell for the boat. Got a basic Igloo Marine cooler in 25qt and a Frabill air pump. The pump runs on either 2D batteries, a 12v car adapter or wall outlet. Figure this should be good enough for my boat come Speck (Black Crappie) season, or if the family wants to do some shiner fishing.

*Will post a completed pic tonight.

Oldfart9999

Donald Garner

That will work out good for ya.
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

topdsm0138

Here's two final pics of it. Son netted a few small shiners, so got it hooked up to the wall outlet right now.

topdsm0138

Now that im back to work and have steady income again, I have finished designing out my subfloor frame and flooring. will be using angle aluminum (will weld it up) then a sheet of plywood, sealed and covered in gray eva foam. The side storage will be frame out of the same angle aluminum then covered with aluminum skin w/plywood lid. Why plywood for the floor? Simple, it's cheap and easier to replace in about 5 years. This is a "Average Joe's Budget Build", so trying to keep things as simple and affordable as possible for others to base theirs off of. :)

Oldfart9999

Sounds good top, are you going to get a second battery for your electronics and livewell? If so you might want to move that one closer to the bow, it'll help keep the bow down during those high speed runs when you're alone.
Rodney

topdsm0138

Quote from: Oldfart9999 on January 10, 2022, 08:19:48 AM
Sounds good top, are you going to get a second battery for your electronics and livewell? If so you might want to move that one closer to the bow, it'll help keep the bow down during those high speed runs when you're alone.
Rodney
My live well pump runs off D batteries. I will only have to plug it into the accessory outlet, if the batteries go dead. My bow and stern light are both LEDs so they don't have the current draw that a conventional bulb does. One of the selling points that led me to choose the Suzuki over the other brands of outboard, was that it is batteryless EFI. Now I don't have the worry or the extra weight of a cranking battery. Although I did get the battery charging kit for my motor. Being a 25 horsepower, this engine takes no effort to pull start.

One of my goals of this boat was to try and keep the weight reasonable, so it's easier to move around the trailer by myself.

topdsm0138

I finally got time to sit down, measure out and design my floor frame, floor and storage compartment. Now I just have to find the time to build it. Aluminum frame, welded by me with plywood deck topped with brown seadek or carpet.

Sent from undisclosed location -Tiller Mafia

topdsm0138

Quote from: topdsm0138 on March 08, 2022, 08:15:18 AM
I finally got time to sit down, measure out and design my floor frame, floor and storage compartment. Now I just have to find the time to build it. Aluminum frame, welded by me with plywood deck topped with brown seadek or carpet.

Sent from undisclosed location -Tiller Mafia
Well, after almost a year of having to move my boat from my house (neighbor wqs a jerk and called Code Enforcement because I took all the beer cans & bottles he dumped in my boat, and threw them at him one by one..) I'm finally able to jump back on this starting in June.

Sent from undisclosed location. -Tiller Mafia

topdsm0138

Ok, been a while but now have my front deck and floor designed out, and am gathering the materials. I will be using aluminum box and angle for the framing, welded together (I have aluminum welders) topped with a sheet of marine plywood, coated in Marine epoxy. Then topped with either Hydroturf or Marine Vinyl.

I haven't decided on Hydroturf orbthe Vinyl yet, but am open to suggestions.

Sent from undisclosed location. -Tiller Mafia

Donald Garner

Good luck and have fun getting the front deck constructed.  Make sure you take lots of pictures.

Capt. BassinLou

Looking forward to seeing the outcome of this build.