Bass Fishing Forum Bass Fishing Forum

Site Slogan

News: NEW FORUM! Yes, this is UB! Feedback HERE!

That one special rod you have

(Read 1530 times)

BECOME A CHARTER MEMBER SUPPORT UB

rb-nc

• Largemouth
  • Baby Bass
I know most here prefer the 7'3" or 7'4" rods but mine is the 704C split grip. This rod has performed evry job I have given it. TX rig, Weightless Senko, nail weight,hula grub, skippin a jig  you name it. Yesterday it was buzzbait rod. The true magic of this rod is it feel "right" with any reel I put on it.

Capt. BassinLou

• CM Chief Community Diplomat
I feel the same way with my CH734. For general techniques, I keep reaching for this rod time and time again.

coldfront

• Life Member
I know most here prefer the 7'3" or 7'4" rods but mine is the 704C split grip. This rod has performed evry job I have given it. TX rig, Weightless Senko, nail weight,hula grub, skippin a jig  you name it. Yesterday it was buzzbait rod. The true magic of this rod is it feel "right" with any reel I put on it.

nice SPOT!!!  (looks like one; or is it one of those many subspecies?)
PRETTY fish.

ohiobass

• Smallmouth
Dobyns Champion 764CB RM ~c~

rb-nc

• Largemouth
  • Baby Bass
100% Norman Spotted bass

Bud Kennedy

• Life Member
  • PFD's and KILL SWITCHES SAVE LIVES
My absolute most favorite is a Lee Smith Custom Rod, 6'8" MH fast with spiral wrap guides, composite grip. I also have preference for my 703C and 704C Dobyns as a solid #2 all three rods split grip

Smallie_Stalker

• CM Community Diplomat
  • Dobyns Rods When fishing is more than just a hobby
This is a tough question for me. In all honesty I still prefer shorter rods - 6 to 7 foot. But most of my rods over the past 10 years or so are right around the 7 foot 3 inch length.

When I get to the 7 foot 6 inch mark things start to get squirrelly for me unless I'm making a long bomb cast.

If I have to pick one rod, at the moment it would be a Sierra 734C. I can throw so many different things on this one rod it's crazy.
I just wish it had a full cork handle as that's my preference.

Sent from my One Plus 9 Pro 5G using Tapatalk
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Blacknredflake

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
Mine has to be my Kaden 745...... an absolute Texas Rig dream rod.

That Spot is gorgeous!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

BITE THE DAMN WORM!

zippyduck

• Charter Member
  • Dobyns, Daiwa, LSCR, Nutech, Keitech, Yamamoto
Sierra 734 is my go to. It is a perfect spinnerbait rod, skips jigs and senkos so easily, works t-rigged worms with a nice soft tip, and throws most topwaters like a dream.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Dink Dawg

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
Champion 764CB RM is that one special stick that just is a must have.

fishballer06

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
I have two (well, two and a half).

Shimano Poison Adrena 7'2" Medium power
Megabass Orochi Diablo Spec R (I'd call this one a MH/MH+ power).

These two rods can cover 75% of my fishing needs. Honorable mention goes to the Dobyns DC734c. It's nearly identical to the DSR, but it's just a touch less power in the backbone IMO.
3rd place 2019 iBass - Cool Casters
2nd place 2019 iBass - Team Tournament

SteveTX

• Charter Member
  • AOY 19' IBASS Hot Rodders
Hard for me to name one special rod. I really don't have a "special" as in sentimental but these two below are my go to rods. Not the most expensive or super cheap but they are great middle of the road rods.

Most of my fishing spring through fall is done pitching usually up in cover with a 1/2 or 3/4 oz. jig or t-rig plastic. For this type fishing my go to stick is the Lew's Custom Lite Speed Stick model LCLMPS Magnum Pitchin' rod. For a larger rod its pretty light in hand at 5.3 oz. It makes it easy to use for hours. Its a 7'4" Heavy Fast action I feel is border line to a stout moderate fast action. Has a awesome mid section that I just love the way it loads when you set the hook on a large fish. Its almost like it has a second gear. I have launched so many small bass across the boat through the air I cant count. Its quite comical.  lo

Early spring or late fall or anywhere there is a little less vegetation I prefer the Falcon LowRider model LFC-74H Heavy Cover Jig. Also a 7'4" rod but just a tad less stout in the top half of the rod. Really like the 1/4 to 3/8 oz. jigs on this one. Very nice tip on it has a great feel for those lite bites yet does really well keeping the hook pinned. Hard to lose a fish on this one unless they get you wrapped up bad. Not sure what this rod weighs but its really light weight as well. I have some much more expensive rods that do not weigh in as light as this one. Yet it has proven to be very stout as I have caught many a nice size bass on it.

Being this is a Dobyns forum I will say I use to would have listed the Dobyns SSM 735C Savvy Micro Guide Casting Rod. These were 7'3" Magnum Heavy Extra Fast action rods. They worked very good. It was my favorite, however I broke two of them over time after catching many a fish. I just wanted to try some other brands not anything against the Dobyns.
Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 09:04:46 PM by SteveTX

apenland01

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
My favorite Dobyns rod is the Xtasy 752.  Best all around finesse rod I use.  Landed a 10 pound flathead on it using 8 pound fluorocarbon line on a dropshot when using minnows to catch crappie a couple of months ago.  Fantastic finesse rod....

dunnuckt

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
I love all of my Dobyns rods but I especially love my Kaden 711 spinning rod that I use for Ned rigs and all other finesse applications.  Sensitive and casts small lures beautifully.  A really fun rod to use.

LabRat

• Smallmouth
As much as I love my 745, my 742c is hands down my favorite rod. It's great for weightless plastics and shakeyheads, but it absolutely shines as a river smallie rod for me. Such a fun rod to fish.