A Good Fishing Shoe

Started by Mike Cork, September 17, 2021, 12:18:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cork

Along with my severe low back problems, I have mild thoracic issues and borderline severe cervical problems. My surgeon has me on speed dial anytime his wife wants more alimony.

I also have major leg pain, most agree it is from my lumbar issues. My knees have never hurt until about 6 months ago, and it came on quick for no apparent reason other than I'm getting old. I am flat footed (almost didn't get in the Air Force but I told them I don't need feet to fly  ~shade ). You all should be getting the picture, I'm a perfectly normal mid 50's male.

I have battled proper shoes all my life. I grew to a size 11.5 when I was 12 years old. Nicknamed caveman by all my fathers friends because my feet were way out proportioned to my body for many years. I eventually grew into them and have settled on a size 12, but it has to be labeled wide or extra wide or I have ingrown toenail issues..

BLA BLA BLA...

I have spent a fortune on shoes, I have spent $15 on shoes. I wear quality sandals through the summer, but my pediatrist scolds me every three months when I have to visit her to check my feet because I am a diabetic and can't check my feet for myself. Sandals don't properly protect the feet and I could get a sore and it could get infected and I would never know, because I'm a diabetic and can't check my feet....

What do you guys wear to help your body feel better at the end of the day. I need honest reviews from you all, reviews that you believe without a shadow of a doubt the shoes have helped you :-* I don't care if they were $20 or $200 if they made you feel better I want to know. Winters coming and it gets brutal cold, generally all the way down to mid 30's in my neck of the woods so I can't wear sandals all year long... Maybe if I wore thick socks :-* but again my pediatrist is really harping on me. She wants me to buy these funky looking medical shoes through her office, she gets a commission so of course she wants me to buy them.

My only personal requirement would be that there is plenty of toe room and there is a good arch. Other than that what's been your favorite fishing shoe?

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

WTodd

SoftScience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

geneinnc

When he gets on you ask him why he doesn't have someone on staff to properly fit his patients? He should at least give you a couple of places fit fittings. My PT techs working desperately to save me from another neck rebuild checks my walking first thing. They said improper shoes can ruin a good neck and even fitted my Adidas for inserts in each. They were very clear that 95% are wearing improper shoes and that should be corrected immediately so the therapy can help. I'm drawing a blank on what the called the fitting tech at the shoe store. I've got 10 years on you Mike, be glad I remembered this much.

If your Dr gives you the RX Medicare pays for a pair of Diabetic shoes yearly when you hit the Medicare scene.

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

rb-nc

Mike go look at Hoka Bondi's. My wife's feet are in bad shape and she is on them all day working at the hospital. She had major foot surgery back in January. They cut her heel off and reattached it. The surgeon recommended these to her. She had to start with a man's size because of the swelling. The second she put them on in the store she said right there I'll never buy another brand

coldfront

i go barefoot in the boat.  it IS the south Mike.
the best thing you DON'T want to try?  fishing from the Bill Dance position.
lo

FlatsNBay

Easy for me. Brooks running shoes. They are expensive but well worth the investment. They are great for being on your feet all day.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

caddyjoe77

Brooks for tennis/fartinAroundTheHouse/running shoes.  Ecco for anything else.  Both not cheap but both last a helluva lot longer than others. 

Also, Muck boots are quite nice as well.  I wear them all winter long.  Have two pairs -- one is for when the water gets cold and I have to go in to launch the boat the other is the same pair but used for shitkicking around the house and general fishing.  Again, not cheap but dammit you get what you pay for most times. 

BeerMe

Deadeye

Best shoes I have bought for the Boat and just in General are Sketchers. I got a pair of Slip-ons at Academy for around $50.

They really made a huge difference for me. Before I was mostly wearing 8-9" Work Boots for better ankle support while standing on the Deck. After trying this pair of Sketchers I don't want to wear anything else. Soft Comfortable and I can now STAND all day (6-8 hours) and fish.

apenland01

I am also flat footed and shoes that have an arch support cause me more issues than not.  I like a flatter insole and cushiony feel.  For goofing around, I wear Columbia PFG shoes.  For camping, hiking or winter fishing, I like the Merrill Moab 2.  For work where I'm doing a lot of walking in and out of clinics, I wear New Balance 880, which is a really lightweight and soft shoe.

Good luck in your search!

topdsm0138

Me, I found a good heel cushion helps keep the shock from traveling up and into the knees and back as bad. Can't really comment too much on shoes because I'm always either barefoot or wearing flip-flops. Only time I wear shoes is at work or in uniform (military) and I HATE it..
"I'm a simple man, with simple pleasures." -Trevor Belmont

Princeton_Man

I wear an extra wide (EEEE) and while I like all my various boots, I prefer super light and lots of cushion.

My favorite for both standing on the deck all day and at work is a Sketchers cross trainer (I'll have to look up the model). They're very lightweight and have a thick memory foam insole. I wear them year round and pay about $55 a pair for them online.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club