DC744 vs DX745

Started by PitchnCypress, October 12, 2021, 06:57:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PitchnCypress

1st post here fellas and looking for a comparison between these 2 rods. I've had several champ xp's but have had only 1 champ extreme hp which is a 795. I know the dx745c would be more sensitive  but is the 744C more sensitive being it's faster than other rods in the XP lineup? Would use this rod for 3/8 and 1/2oz jigs mainly. How do the tips compare and is there really a big difference in sensitivity between these two? I've felt the 744C in the store but no one around here carries the 745C.

Mike Cork

In my opinion both these rods are very sensitive and I couldn't say one is more sensitive than the other. Both will also handle your weigh ranges. I carry several of both these rods and use them based on the cover. I will also select a 745 is I'm fishing above 1/2 ounce. I like to use the 744 when I'm fishing in the 1/4 or less.

Both drive a hook very well by getting to the backbone quickly.

If you are fishing light cover the 744 will be good, if you are fishing a little more dense cover then the 745 will be better.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

PitchnCypress

Thanks for the info Mike. We in the same neck of the woods in NW La so mainly cypress trees and occasional boat dock. In your opinion do you think the 744 is too fast to handle a small 3/8oz jig with chunk trailer? Will the tip on the 745 load up more to handle this lighter rig? Thanks again man.

Mike Cork

For the waters around here I use the 744 for my smaller 3/8 jigs in the winter exclusively. I won't move to the 745 until I am using a 1/2. That said, I will use the 745 for a 3/8 ounce if the salvinia is getting thick

Cork's Reel Service

Mike Cork

I guess there is a personal feel factor as well, if you like a faster rod then the 745 will become your go to for sure.

Cork's Reel Service

PitchnCypress

Thanks for all the info Mike. Really appreciate it.