Reel for Dobyns DC 744C or 804cb

Started by fish_taco, January 14, 2022, 11:57:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fish_taco

Hi guys. I have been thinking about my next Champ XP combo, and pretty close to choosing either a 744C or 804CB. I am going to pick up a new Lews reel to match.

My current combos are:

DC 702C with a Tournament MB
DC 733C with a BB1 Inshore

They both balance right in front of the reel seat nut. I really like their current balance and are easy to fish for hours without giving me any fatigue.

So now I'm looking for suggestions for a reel that will balance well with the 744C or the 804CB. I'd like to the 744C to balance with a lighter tip for bottom contact. The 804CB, im not sure what kind of balance I'll like with that rod. Its main purpose will be launching hardbaits from shore (lucky craft flash minnow 110, daiwa salt pro minnows, 5/8oz crocs).

I haven't held either of these rods in my hand yet, but I assume they will be heavier (even if just slightly) than my current DC's. I really want to try out the new Tournament Lite LFS, but I'm worried it will be TOO light for either of these rods. Maybe I'll pick up the Tournament Lite anyway and swap reels around. I dunno. Help?

Mike Cork

Really tough question and obviously one would love to put the reels on the rods and test it out...

My thoughts are the Tournament MB is a great fit for any of the non CB models. While the CB models are still very light, when you get into the 8 footers they are a little heavier. So, I'd consider putting a new Tournament Lite on the 733 and putting the inshore you have on the 804CB. I don't know line capacities off the top of my head though, when you're talking about launching baits, obviously you want deeper spools.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

fish_taco

Thanks Mike.

You are right about the MB feeling good on either rod. I did some rearranging yesterday and put the tournament MB on the 733 and will put the bb1 on the 804cb which should be delivered tomorrow. I think I will be picking up a lefty custom SLP for the 702 for the light light stuff.

I changed my mind about the really high end reels. I think I would be too stressed out owning a tournament lite or custom pro. I fish a lot of rocky shores and jetties and need to put my rod down often to unhook fish (our spotted bay bass are extra feisty). Any scratch I put on a reel like those would give me some heartache.

fishballer06

Just curious - Why do you want to use an 8 foot rod for jerkbaits? Most guys use a shorter rod because of how a jerkbait needs to be worked in a tip down, twitching motion. The 804, IMO, is going to cause your arm to quickly tire out because of the added weight due to the length and you'll struggle to work the bait because you will be smacking the ground/water constantly.
3rd place 2019 iBass - Cool Casters
2nd place 2019 iBass - Team Tournament

fish_taco

The way I use jerkbaits, or any hardbait really, is a straight retrieve. The halibut and other predatory fish in our bays and surf love em. No jerks or rod manipulation needed. Maybe a pause here and there, but I just stop reeling for that action. Our spotted bay bass chase crankbaits too, so that would be its secondary purpose.

I currently use an 8'6 salmon (semi-parabolic) rod for the hardbaits and c-rig in the surf. The moderate action helps keep those surf fish pinned, especially when there are wave surges that put slack in the line that they take advantage of to shake the hooks. I am so impressed with my champ 702c and 733c that I wanted another champ for my surf fishing purposes, so I thought I'd give the 804cb a try.

fishballer06

Ahh, I gotcha. That's a style of fishing that I've never done so that's new territory to me. Thanks for explaining.
3rd place 2019 iBass - Cool Casters
2nd place 2019 iBass - Team Tournament

fish_taco

No probs. I dont know if its a honeymoon stage or what, but I love these Dobyns rods. I'm working on replacing all my combos with them.

loomisguy

Hard to say about the balance. When it comes to reels I think the Shimano or Daiwa model that's in your budget is the way to go.

D.W. Verts

I worry huge about scratching up my reels.

Dale
Old School Bass Fishin', My Hickbilly Life, and Hickbilly Outdoors with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

1ReelFanatik

Quote from: D.W. Verts on January 21, 2022, 07:24:22 AM
I worry huge about scratching up my reels.

Dale

As in you want the digs and scratches because they add character.  I do my best to keep my reels character free.   ;D

Another Dale.   :)