Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thank you! Sorry about the wait...

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

X Zone Lures

Lockett Lures Outlet

K9 Fishing Line

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What is a good florocarbon line  (Read 3367 times)

Kal-Kevin

• Bass Fishing Junkie
  • Ultimate Basser
  • Member of Kal-Valley Bass Club
What is a good florocarbon line
« on: April 30, 2005, 06:50:29 PM »

this is my first posting to get your opinion on fluorocarbons. I'm a spinning reel type person and want to try a line that will work for a spinning reel. I bought some two years ago and it seamed to jump off the reel and I said not again. so as times change I will try again.

What I'm looking for is a brand of line to use and the pound test to use?

Do any of you use a leader of fluorocarbon on your spinning reels?

My normal test line are 6 lbs. for dock and shallow and 8 lbs. to 10 lbs. on most other fish set ups.  and 15 to 20 lbs. braid for heavy cover, all line are Stern.

Thanks to you all

Pferox

• Life Member
  • Right on the Gulf Coast.
Re: What is a good florocarbon line
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2005, 07:47:56 PM »

Hey kal, have you checked out the thread titled Braid vs Floro? We have had alot of discussion about that. There are lots of pros and cons about using it as a main line also.
I use floro leaders on braid and all I use now is spinning gear, I don't bass fish as much as the rest of the guys, so they will come around and put in their opinions about particulars pertaining to various lure applications and rigging I am sure.
I know quite a few people who are trying out that vanish transitions line, but I personally can't tell you much about it.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

bass1cpr

• Ultimate Basser
  • FnG
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2005, 10:57:11 AM »

Most flurocarbons are not good for spinning reels it's to stiff and gets memory twist too fast. I use fireline on all my spinning reels if I need to, I tie a leader on and I still have the low stretch and sensitivity that I like. 
A fish a day keeps postal away. See fishing is relaxing.  Member B.A.S.S.  Illinois B.A.S.S. Federation Nation

Mike Cork

• Father Time
  • Admin
  • Get the Net it's a Hawg
    • Ultimate Bass
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2005, 11:29:12 AM »

What's everyones latest thoughts on the Transition Fluorocarbon? Tried it for the first time yesterday and so far so good. Laurie caught a 4 plus that had a jig all the way back in it's throat and the line held up well against the teeth of the fish. Visibility above the water is very good, and disappears well under the water.
Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

FlyRod

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2005, 09:48:28 PM »

Hate it! See my post in "Berkley Transition Line" topic.
F.Rod

PS: I've got two new spools of it (Vanish), #10 and #@14, yours for 22 clams, shipped! 

calincalif50

• Ultimate Basser
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2005, 05:45:37 PM »

Had a good opprotunity to test this stuff on a DoD trny at lake Eufaula, Ala.  My opinion is don't buy it unless its 14# or above.  Anything below becomes extremely brittle and breaks if you tie the knot too fast...even the veritable palomar knot.  I lost an est. 5+ pounder because my 10# line broke at the knot...yes I was using the palomar knot, and a brand new spinner bait to boot.  Even if you tie the knot on over 14# too fast it burns the line...even with lub.

Final thouhgts....I'm changing all of my transition line back to braided spider line or mono

just my field tested experience.

Pferox

• Life Member
  • Right on the Gulf Coast.
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2005, 07:51:51 PM »

Wow, I have never had a knot failure except for a couple of times where the loops around the hook eye were worn thru from a few too many catfish hookups. Of course I'm an old guy and kaint see so good so I kinda tie slow.  lo
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

cable guy

• Ultimate Basser
  • angler of the year,classic champ,tournament winner
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2005, 07:57:02 PM »

BASS CPR IS RIGHT ABOUT THE spinning reels but berkly transition is great line. check your knots frequently, it does get frayed but is easy to see where at. its totally invisible underwater. each person is going to have there own prefrence of line, so be it. but i swear by transition on my bottom rods.
god grant that i may live to fish until my dying day and when it comes to my last cast i then most humbly pray when in the lords safe landing net i"m peacefully asleep that in his mercy i be judged as good enough to keep. member BASS,ILLINOIS FEDERATION

cable guy

• Ultimate Basser
  • angler of the year,classic champ,tournament winner
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2005, 08:00:54 PM »

there was a article in field+ stream about wet and dry knot stregth it will surpriseyou. some 17lb line had a wet break at8lb that aint to good.florocarbons are great for a lot of situations, but dont forget your regular mono.   ~c~ 
god grant that i may live to fish until my dying day and when it comes to my last cast i then most humbly pray when in the lords safe landing net i"m peacefully asleep that in his mercy i be judged as good enough to keep. member BASS,ILLINOIS FEDERATION

cmegee

• Life Member
  • "Carpe Diem" does not mean "fish of the day."
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2005, 09:26:38 AM »

Personally I won't go away from thr transition. I love it and haven't had any problems with it.

Mike Cork

• Father Time
  • Admin
  • Get the Net it's a Hawg
    • Ultimate Bass
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2005, 12:49:33 PM »

I think the reason we haven't had any problems yet Cmegee is because we use much stronger line and from what everyone is saying so far, the 14 pound or better is problemless.
Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

cmegee

• Life Member
  • "Carpe Diem" does not mean "fish of the day."
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2005, 11:19:20 AM »

I've been using the 10 and 12 as well mike, Briana has the 12 on all of her rods and I use the 10 exclusively on Crankbaits, just can't horse them in as much as you would 14 or 17...but I still haven't had any break offs other than those where i've hung up down deep and had to break my line.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 24 queries.