The Age Of Your Fishing Line

Started by Joda911, November 10, 2004, 10:31:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I usually have to once a month because of backlashes  ;PEP)

Mike Cork

Yes backlashes have caused me to replace a spool or two lo

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Does lighter line cause more backlashes or something? The line I use is very thin, although I have finally learned my reels well enough to keep it from happening. Just a question I had

Mike Cork

Yes smaller or thinner line will cause more minor backlashes that will turn into major ones if not attended to. Think of it like a head of hair, fine hair will tangle worse than coarse hair if not attended to.

Cork's Reel Service

Joda911

So far, my experience has shown me that temperature changes play a bigger wear factor on line just resting on a spool.  Cold temps, then warm, then extremely hot temps, definitely causes weak elasticity points on line setting for long periods of time.  No data on how much or less is affected because of the line test/or diameter yet.  My experience has me believing you see a difference in the smoothness and life the line has when exposed to intense direct sun-light exposure.  These are not clinical studies by any means, just my long term experiences fishing for over 42+ years.

I guess you all know I'm speaking about the ol' fashion monofilament-fishing lines which uses the co-polymer formulas from so called, yester-years.... lo
"WITH all of the things that change in life it is good to have one CONSTANT that is constantly changing, yet always the same, FISHING..."

Mike Cork

Yester Years  lo

I get a mental picture of sun and heat working on line like it would on the gel coat of a boat or a paint job on a vehicle causing fading. Which is basically the microscopic pitting of the surface?

Cork's Reel Service

Railroader

during the sunday tourny i put new 15lb stren high impact line on and had fish breaking me off  :'( even after checking the knot, so i tried spiderwire 24-12 i had laying around and couldnt keep the knot from slipping, tied the polymer knot put superglue on then tied to extra knots and still had a fish break me off?  cant keep a knot tied on with spiderwire so i'll try 20lb stren high impact and see what happens.. oh is there a certain way to tie the line to your real that might help with the line twists? can put new line on the night before a tourny and come game day i got curly line, any tips on this would be great thanks.... brian 

MotherNature

Morning Brian,
When Mike puts new line on the spool I always see him working with the way it is coming off of the spool and then back onto the reel. I think he is trying to get it so that it is going on the same way itis coming off so that the twists are not as prominent.

Laurie

.·´¯`·.><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

Railroader

thats how i do it, im sure its the operator..

Joda911

That's real puzzling Railroader, I don't understand why that's happening to ya'.  Don't know the solution other than loosening up the drag some.  I rarely spool fresh line onto my reels using the rod guides as leverage, although your problem doesn't sound like anything to do with how the line is spooled on.  As far as twists in the line, the use of quality small barrel/snap swivel works for me.  The trick I use for lures is to tie a Nonslip Mono-Loop Knot onto the snap swivel and snap the swivel directly to the lure.
"WITH all of the things that change in life it is good to have one CONSTANT that is constantly changing, yet always the same, FISHING..."

BIG PAPA

Brian when you put the loop over the hook or bait make sure it is straight with no twists in it. I have been using the Palomar knot all my life and I can't remember ever having it slip, on mono, flouro or braid. Do you leave at least a 1/4 inch tag end? The new tough line like high impact and super tough is just stiff and is going to have a lot of curl to it, it is just the nature of the beast. Bagley Super Silver Thread is pretty limp as is BPS. EXel and Berkley XL.

papa :{_

Rickoos

Papa,

How you tried the new Berkley "Vanish Transition" line yet.??? It's says clear underwater with a gold tint out of the water for better visibility.... I'm sure thinking about trying some of it...... ;)

Ricky

Bet it would be good with a Gorilla tyed to it.........
sponsors:
American Bass Angler Pro Staff, R & M Tackle, K & M Custom Rods, Secret Weapon Lures,Vicious Fishing Tournament Team, Driftwood Lures,  Fish Hedz/Save Phace,

Mike Cork

RailRoad something else I like to do after spooling up is to open the bail and walk the line out about twice as far as I can cast then let it lay in the grass and wind it back in. The blades of the grass will give you edges as you pull your line threw it and it will help pull twist out which in turn will reduce your coils

Cork's Reel Service

BIG PAPA

Quote from: Rickoos on November 17, 2004, 03:18:38 PM
Papa,

How you tried the new Berkley "Vanish Transition" line yet.??? It's says clear underwater with a gold tint out of the water for better visibility.... I'm sure thinking about trying some of it...... ;)

Ricky

Bet it would be good with a Gorilla tied to it.........
No Ricky I haven't I use Vanish fluorocarbon for my jigs but I have not seen the transition. Sounds like something I would like. Let me know if you try it.  ~c~

Rickoos

Papa,

I will let you know, I'm going to order some of it in the morning from BPS....... or maybe from your guy on E-bay, if you can give his info out.............

Ricky
sponsors:
American Bass Angler Pro Staff, R & M Tackle, K & M Custom Rods, Secret Weapon Lures,Vicious Fishing Tournament Team, Driftwood Lures,  Fish Hedz/Save Phace,

BIG PAPA

Ricky I look at the site as well as others but have not seen any up for bid . I will try to find some and let you know. It is no secret I merely type in Super Silver Thread and if there is any up it will show.

BIG PAPA

There is several packs of transition in tests 8 and 12. just too light for a gorilla and the hogs I expect to catch on it ;D

Joda911

Think the industry will lean toward Freshness Dates on their products?  Or is there any manufacturers doing this already?

Rickoos

Seems that Berkley did a few years back, maybe Papa can help me on this one.....seems that the Tri-max came in a sealed plastic tub that could be resealed after use. In fact, I still have some of the tubs with fishing goodies in them. I'm not sure if it comes that way anymore or not.......

Ricky
sponsors:

MotherNature

One would think that if the age of the product had an effect on the proformance it would have a date on it. I am surprised that there hasnt been a pro sue someone in the industry over faulty materials after loosing a tourament lo lo lo

.·´¯`·.><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

Mike Cork

Freshness dates would hurt the little guy. The small Mom and Pop tackle stores coudln't afford to discard out dated line and would probably not purchase line with a date. I don't think the major retailers are prepared to deal with it either.

I as a fisherman think it would be a great idea.

Cork's Reel Service

Joda911

I understand the reasoning, but the old line wouldn't have to be discarded like old milk or bread.  The price on the not so fresh line could be reduced slightly to help move it off the shelf.  Most consumers are paying for old fishing line anyway, but I can see how doing this would curtail manufacturers profit margins.

Mike Cork

Like I said I think it would be a great idea. And marking it down to move it would be just like day old bread or donuts. Still good just not as fresh. I think we are coming up with a revolution here  ~c~

Cork's Reel Service

born on date for fishing line. we could have that for soft-plastic baits too

BIG PAPA

Quote from: Rickoos on November 18, 2004, 02:15:37 PM
Seems that Berkley did a few years back, maybe Papa can help me on this one.....seems that the Tri-max came in a sealed plastic tub that could be resealed after use. In fact, I still have some of the tubs with fishing goodies in them. I'm not sure if it comes that way anymore or not.......

Ricky
I sure remember the Tri max packs I still haveone with a little line on it I think I used some for backing a few times but it is OLD.