Cajun Red Line

Started by Jag, July 05, 2004, 05:19:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jag

If you use it or want to try it....they are selling it at Walmart now....no need to go to BP or order from Cabela's

Stevo
"The difference between the almost right lure and the right lure is really a large matter -- tis the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning."

Mike Cork

I was not very happy with it. If you want to try some for free I have most of a spool left. I holds memory very strongly. It sinks making it difficult for top water. I may make a good carolina rig leader. And it does have great abrasion resistance, but I will stick with my excel..... I hate memory.....

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

loggerhead

If it rains we get wet !!!!  Yank'em out and weigh'em in.

Jag

Mike, you were right bro, I wasnt very pleased with it, took off about half and tied a blood knot to some spider wire and spooled back up. The red hadnt been on there long and the part i took off was lying in little coils.  :(

Stevo
"The difference between the almost right lure and the right lure is really a large matter -- tis the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning."

Mike Cork

Jag, glad to hear that it wasn't just a bad spool that I bought, sorry you had to spend the money also. I must say in the cajun line's defense it is a very strong line and if you were throwing a heavy jig in grass of something of that nature it would work well.

Cork's Reel Service

Rickoos

Is anyone using this lineright now and if so, what's the feed back on it?  I have some on my reels but haven't got to try it yet. Maybe in the morning with Wildcat I can try it out.
I have had good luck with it crappie & bream fishing so far. 

Ricky
sponsors:
American Bass Angler Pro Staff, R & M Tackle, K & M Custom Rods, Secret Weapon Lures,Vicious Fishing Tournament Team, Driftwood Lures,  Fish Hedz/Save Phace,

Rickoos

Back to the drawing board now! Looks like I may have another job to do tonight after getting the boat ready! Man, I hate this job, picking up all the line that the wife pulls off after she puts new line on! ;D

Ricky
sponsors:
American Bass Angler Pro Staff, R & M Tackle, K & M Custom Rods, Secret Weapon Lures,Vicious Fishing Tournament Team, Driftwood Lures,  Fish Hedz/Save Phace,

Mike Noble

You are really trying to get some of those cajun french words thrown at you  ;D  At least they are only words and not frying pans.
Life is a B........each!

TREATING LIFE FAIRLY - e-reader

TREATING LIFE FAIRLY - paperback

Ask me about PROTANDIM

DundeeMike

No wonder you guys can't catch fish, you are using red line. why don't you guys use what I use. I use a thin metal line , and I have it hooked up to my battery. So, when the fish bites, it stuns the crap out of it.You will never have to worry about line memory, and for that matter your own memory, with the consant current going thru your body

Mike Cork

I fish very heavy line 17-25 pound and in the cajun line it is absolutely horrible when it comes to memory, but it is very strong and my eyes can't see it in the water but I don't know how a fish see.....

Cork's Reel Service

Marty

Mike, sounds like you have a preference for Excel.  I have been meaning to try it but haven't gotten around to it yet.  I have tried several other lines, but keep coming back to original Stren, mostly green but clear blue for top water.  I haven't tried the Cajun either, but a friend who has doesn't like it.  I always wondered, though about if it's invisible to fish (the red color) then what's up with all the red hooks, red strands in spinnerbaits, red colors used for enhancement on crank baits etc?  Don't make much sense to me!  I guess it's a confidence factor thing though.  I'm gonna try the Excel, though and I also heard somewhere that the BPS XPS line was pretty good stuff too, but don't know 1st hand.

185VX

Marty I have been using BP's excel for the last year and have no problems with it. I tried the Iron Silk and loved the way it casted and no-memory however I found it very knot sensitive.  Lots of knots would break as you tested it after tying.
I also started using Super Braid this season and found it to be very easy to use (great hook ups). I have been using it with plastics and top water baits. I have not had the guts to put it on a bait caster yet (hate to spend all that money and cut it up 20 cast later).
As far as red color, I will say this. Tried some red hooks and found no difference at all. NOW, I bought a bleeding heart spinner bait and buzzbait (both white w/some red strands) to see what they would do. Well they work and work well I might add. I was fishing with the wife and nothing would hit my favorite buzzbait, she was doing pretty good with the new bleeding heart spinner and suggested I go to a spinner. Guys we can't let the wife tell us what to use (bad enough they tell us what to do). So I tied on the bleeding buzz bait and gave it a try. I started catching fish in the already heavely fished area. All I can say is the only real difference in the buzz baits was the red strands.

Marty

Hey 185vx, are you talking about the Stren Super Braid?  I have been wanting to try that stuff too, just haven't done it yet.  Maybe that's what I'll do this weekend.  I use mostly baitcasting reels, Shimano Curados to be specific so that's what the line will be going on.   I like Power Pro ok for some applications, but I'm always looking for something "better" :).  I would like to use braid more if I could find some with the right properties.  Right now it's only on my flipping stick & also my most heavy duty jig pitching rod, an All Star Titanium AST827CX hvy action broom handle I like to use in thick vegetation.  I have used braid on Carolina rigs in the past, so that's what I'll probably try the Super Braid on first. 

docwaldo

since all the talk is aobut the cajun red line and most, if not all is negative, i will cast my vote (pardon the pun) on the issue.  i have tried it and i like it.  yes, it does tend to have some memory, but i use it mainly for pitching and caronia rigging.  and the memory does not seem to hurt my hookups.  

what i have tried that i like better than the cajun red line is the fluorescent green P-line.  i like a line that i can see, especially when i am technique fishing like pitching or jigging or carolina rigging.  and it is great.  it does not seem to get the curly q's like the red line and if i am fishing at nite, the blacak lite will illuminate the P-line, but not the red line.  so i don;'t have to restring my reels.  the only down side i have found about the P-line is that it is not "soft" like stren or the other mono's.  i think the P-line is actually a copolomar line, not a monofilament.  it is strong and resistant to nicks and scrapes.  itis almost like a synthetic wire.  when youi clip the P-line with a pair of snippers, it makes a toatlly different souind than the mono line.  almost like a louder click.  

if youi are wanting to try a colored line, i think youi will like the P=line better than the cajun red line.  i have not noticed the green Pline getting memory like i have the other liines i have used.

drop it deep, yank it hard and go for the colored line.  .  .

doc   ~c~ ~c~ ~c~ ~c~ ~c~

Siggy by DundeeMike
CATFISHERMEN HAVE STIFFER RODS!!
doc  :)

Rickoos

Thanks guys for the info, What I got the other night was the red line, but it had CAST written on it, I now understand that there is 2 types, the old sytle and the new CAST, I will try it in the morning and let you know!

Oh, I did take a couple extra reels with my ole stand by line for good luck! ;D

Ricky
sponsors:

BIG PAPA

Daniel Green uses the flouresant green p-line and it does not seem to have any memory Although I make fun of his funny green line it does seem to be really good line and he catches fish on it.

papa 8)

Mike Noble

Papa...did you say that the "line" or "Daniel" had no memory?  ;D
Life is a B........each!

Ask me about PROTANDIM

BIG PAPA

Daniel has an excellent memory, It is his fishing partner that has memory problems. ;D

papa 8)

Mike Noble

Oldtimer's Memory  ???

People sometimes thing I have a bad memory...it is just "selective" memory.
Life is a B........each!

Ask me about PROTANDIM

Marty

A guy who I used to fish in a club with back in Austin (8-9 yrs ago) & who lives on Lake Fork (I wish!) and who is/was a fisheries biologist in Texas AND who is a fairly well known writer about bass & bass fishing (had to get all that out there so it would sound like I know somebody important!) seems to really like the P-Line, so I'm gonna try some of that too!  Maybe with all my line experimenting I'm going to do, I will actually have time to catch a fish or two! 

Marty

Railroader

has anyone ever heard of or tried the red cajuin line??? i took a fishing class at bpcc the instructor was talking about it and when we went out to the lake he had it on, just wondering if it is any different, bought some today 17lb at 4# and change just wondering if anybody has tried it..

Mike Noble

Railroader...check you this link

http://ultimatebass.com/lbf/index.php/topic,1368.0.html

It is about that kind of line.
Life is a B........each!

Ask me about PROTANDIM

Mike Cork

RailRoad, please give us your input on the other thread. I don't remember anything good said about it. SO, good or bad please let us know, thanks

Cork's Reel Service

Rickoos

I have had good luck on it so far, but that was 10 lb. test and under.......crappie & bream fishing using the "cast" verson...
Have not tried anything larger for bass yet....

Ricky
sponsors:

BIG PAPA

Quote from: Railroader on November 22, 2004, 03:20:57 AM
has anyone ever heard of or tried the red cajuin line??? i took a fishing class at bpcc the instructor was talking about it and when we went out to the lake he had it on, just wondering if it is any different, bought some today 17lb at 4# and change just wondering if anybody has tried it..
Dan green used it some and seemed to like it ok
Brian do you remember who taught that class?