Getting a smooth flip

Started by skeeter jones, September 16, 2006, 01:03:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skeeter jones

I have Quantum accurist reels and was having trouble getting a smooth setting for light Flips. Read an article about super tuning a reel and took one apart. I noticed the brake weights were actually stuck in the assembly.  There are nine weights in the assembly and about five were stuck.  This is probably why I had to have the brake set all the way down. I lost mid range control. Has anyone else had this problem with Quantum?.   I ordered a new spool from Quantum because I can't get the brakes to free up .I don't have problems when I cast but on pitch or flips I get the bird nest more than I like.  What is the best Reel for flipping?

topcat

Do you have the Accurist pt....doesn't it have a flippin switch.....it should not be doing that is the reel set correctly ? .........

There are a lot of good reels out there from the major reel makers..Shimano..Quantum..Daiwa
are the top three in my book any of there flippin reels should work just fine.....I use a Daiwa lot of people on the sight prefer Shimano and some opt for Quantum...so you are going to get a lot of different answers on this one.....what it really boils down to is what feels good to you

if your reel is a Accurist pt...I would return it to the store it sounds like you are having some reel problems...there should be a warranty on the reel...since you have been in the reel I don't know if the warranty is still good...but it sure worth trying......

Topcat

bass1cpr

Skeeter sounds like you have the older Energy version of the Accurist. I'm not sure what you are locking down and calling it the brakes, but if you are talking about the little cap on the right side of the reel behind the star drag.
Then your putting to much pressure on the spool shaft. That little knob is the speed spool control, and has nothing to do with the brakes.

If you've had this tightend down teh little brass pressure plate that applies presssure to the spool shaft is probably shot.
Take teh cap off and take out the little shim in the cap of it's dimpled which it probably is, order a new one and replace it.

When adjusting the speed spool move the spool back and forth left to right. There should be lateral movement in the spool until the the shim starts appling pressure. Stop tightening as from that point on it's micro adjustments to set the speed spool tension.

Hope that helps ya.
A fish a day keeps postal away. See fishing is relaxing.  Member B.A.S.S.  Illinois B.A.S.S. Federation Nation

skeeter jones

This is a accurist 500 not a Pt. It has the flip feature.  It's not the spool tension (the cap) that had the problem.  In the cap of the spool tension there is  a Brass piece but it is a cup that has a plastic fiber washer that the shaft of the spool rides against.  The part that I noticed the problem with is the other end that has setting for. free and 3 other settings .  This is what use to be called the centrifugal brake.  Older reels had a weight that slid back and forth on a pin.  This accurist has a Black plastic ring that houses nine plastic tabs/finger, that are in three levels or rows.  The dial on the outside moves a drum/housing up or down over these tabs.  So at the third setting you should be engaging all nine of these plastic tabs.  

When I took my reel apart I noticed these tabs were stuck in and would not come out.  I noticed several people on this Forum like the Quantum's and from what I could see on Quantum's site many of the reels use this same Brake system.  It's real easy to check out this part.  Remove the side plate withe the dial on it, remove the spool and look at the black ring.  If you spin the spool with your fingers you should see nine clear plastic tabs sticking out.

I'm wondering if other quantum owner's are having the same problem.  Some may not even realize this is a problem.  If all you do is cast then it's pretty easy to set just the spool tension.  I need a mid range control. I also noticed a lot of black carbon in the drum area.

Bane

I use the Accurist PTs theres no flippin switch, I just loosen the tension knob so the lure falls faster then it should, then if you were just casting, and put the brake setting on 8-10. Works great for me.

OHbassaholic

For flipping and pitching, I prefer the Shimano Castaic SF.  They are fantastic out of the box, but I sent one down to Texas for a "supertune".  It's worth the $.

I could go on and on about these reels but just check them out on the Shimano site.  Smooth, reliable, and the ability to re-engage the spool without turning the handle has saved me missing the hook set on many a fish.