Fluorocarbon Line

Started by Mike Noble, January 04, 2005, 07:28:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Noble

I was reading my B.A.S.S. 2005 calendar, actually the tip for last week and this week...getting it on the right page.  Last week's tip dealt with Fluorocarbon Line.  It said that it is great line for bottom-bumping baits and crankbaits because it sinks faster that monofilament.  Also, it is "not" recommended for topwater baits because of the way it sinks.

Now, I use fluorocarbon line on all my reels and have never noticed it changing the way a topwater bait works.  Has anyone experienced problems with the fluorocarbon line sinking too much for a topwater bait?
Life is a B........each!

TREATING LIFE FAIRLY - e-reader

TREATING LIFE FAIRLY - paperback

Ask me about PROTANDIM

Ron Fogelson

I like it on a buzzbait but you have to be careful not to set the hook to fast as it doesn't stretch, but on a walk the dog type lure or a popper I think the nose of the bait sinks down a bit more then say with mono or a braid as most braids tend to float.  So I end up working it faster then normal, that can be a bad thing if the fish want a longer pause or a slower retrieve.

Mike Cork

A line that sinks in the water will actually drag the nose of the bait into the water when the bait is worked. For some baits such as stick baits or larger baits like a full size zara spook or even a torpedo it may not be that noticable. But tie on a pop r or smaller spook and you will notice a major difference in the way a those baits work. One thing you can do to help eleviate this problem is to take your chap stick out of your pocket and rub the first few feet of line above the lure with it and the wax will keep your line afloat for many casts.

Good topic, I am looking forward to more input here.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Mike Noble

I guess I will have to tie a smaller topwater on a rod with fluorocarbon and another on a rod with mono...see the difference.

Guess what...I see we have a Fogy and a fogie on line...now that is cool.
Life is a B........each!

TREATING LIFE FAIRLY - e-reader

TREATING LIFE FAIRLY - paperback

Ask me about PROTANDIM

bass1cpr

There is a definate difference with florocarbon vs mono for top water baits. Walking baits especially. The chapstick suggestion is a good one but that only helps the line close to the bait, Fly line dressing will also work for this and will do in a pinch. Mono is best for walking baits. Braid is good for frogs but too limp for walking baits. If you can make a spook glide it will run over the braid and foul the hooks.
A fish a day keeps postal away. See fishing is relaxing.  Member B.A.S.S.  Illinois B.A.S.S. Federation Nation