Your Favorite Lake in Colorado

Started by Bass Jones, December 31, 2006, 01:55:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bass Jones

With my limited time spent fishing CO. waters for bass, I do have a little favorite called Brush Hollow Reservoir.While this little lake has no marina, there is a boat ramp. When water levels are good, it will accomadate bass boats, pontoons,and small boats in general. There is no room for water sports, so it is rarely busy. Located in Penrose CO., it is just 45mins.south of colo. spgs..For up to date info. you can contact: General fishing tackle in Colo. Spgs. @ 719-634-6831.More info @ cdow.org
Got a mean Bass jones,an' I need a fix! Jeff J..Fish Hard!!

here fishy,fishy

By far my favorite lake in Colorado is Pueblo Res. I fish this lake all year round. There is rarely any ice and I don't like trout fishing. Last winter they would only bite gold spoons, it didn't matter the size or shape just gold. This year they have gotten allot smarter. We have only been able to catch them on slender sliver 3/8 to 1/2 oz spoons. 90% of the fish caught at this time of year are around 2 to 3 1/2 pounds. I love winter fishing, the abundance of large fish over come the cold. The lake is about 10 min. west of Pueblo on hwy 50. please let me know if you go and how you did. the rest of the year the best bait to use is a watermelon 3" tube on either 1/4 to 3/8 oz tube jig head. good luck.

Bass Jones

I hope to get out to pueblo with a buddy this year, have fished it a bit over the years with he and his boat. I tend to end up at the hollow most often, due to its ease of accesibility for the bank basher. However, this year i'll be afloat on a tube, so I will force myself to avoid sticking with the most convenient, and expanding my horizons a bit more.

HogMaster

Never been to Brush Hollow?  What type of fish does it hold?  I use to fish Peublo & Horse tooth alot for Smallies but since the stocking of the new Shad in Aurora the Fish size has gone wild and the Smallies and LMB are growing like Crazy!   Got into the Smallies in May last year and caught 15 fish between 3-5lbs!  Ice Ice Go away!
HOGS ARE MY BUSINESS!! AND BUINESS IS GOOD!

Bass Jones

Quote from: HogMaster on February 19, 2007, 10:37:13 PM
Never been to Brush Hollow?  What type of fish does it hold?  I use to fish Peublo & Horse tooth alot for Smallies but since the stocking of the new Shad in Aurora the Fish size has gone wild and the Smallies and LMB are growing like Crazy!   Got into the Smallies in May last year and caught 15 fish between 3-5lbs!  Ice Ice Go away!
There are some pretty decent largemouth, and some smallies, though I have not caught any very big. Biggest L.B. I've seen caught, by a friend was around 7 lbs., and my best about 5. Not too shabby. There are alot of trout, Bluegill. Perch, some real nice cats were pulled out last year also. Water levels can be unreliable. I recently bought a float tube, and a float tube map for Aurora res., so I will be checking it out as well as Quincy, very soon. How are these lakes now?

Mike Garrett

Brush Hollow is a good spring time bass lake; however, it is pretty small (no wake) and the boat ramp has been out of the water most recent years after the farmers start drawing water.  It was drained a few years ago and was recovering but has been very low in in 2005 and 2006.  Hopefully it will get some needed water this year.  May I recommend early morning top water along the dam.  My last trip there produced 17 fish in about two hours ....all on a Pop R.  Nothing big, but lots of fun.  My little 14' 10 horse power boat was right at home.

Pueblo has to be my favorite place to fish for bass here in Colorado.  Large mouth, small mouth, and spots make it interesting.  Early in the year the fish are still deep around the rock bluffs and ledges and can be taken on drop shot or shakey heads.  Just be careful early in the year as the wind can been nasty and the water is very cold.

Need a sleeper?  Try Lathrop State Park at Walsenburg.  Opens early, good bass, and not too far away.

Best wishes for fun bass fishing this year and remember....there is no such word as alot.

Mike Garrett, Pres
Pikes Peak Bassmasters
PPBM Fed Rep, Past Pres

bassineveryday

I fish all over colorado and usually on a daily basis i tend to like smaller ponds for the earlier parts of the season
like the pond's at 104th and McKay rd. in thornton or the small pond on 64th and Pecos they bold hold decent largemouth that tend to get active faster the pond on 64th hold a decent amount of smallmouth which all have bad attitudes which just means they are aggressive but when summer starts to roast these lakes pueblo and horsetooth
can bring in some nice bags  ~gator

longdraw

Lake Ladora back in the day(nice fish HOG!).

Oh yeah, and a bunch of ponds around here ~shhh

Jon
Life is a game of ounces.

deuceu72

I'm gonna have to go with Horsetooth, although Pueblo is a very close second.

jflures

Quote from: HogMaster on February 19, 2007, 10:37:13 PM
Never been to Brush Hollow?  What type of fish does it hold?  I use to fish Peublo & Horse tooth alot for Smallies but since the stocking of the new Shad in Aurora the Fish size has gone wild and the Smallies and LMB are growing like Crazy!   Got into the Smallies in May last year and caught 15 fish between 3-5lbs!  Ice Ice Go away!

dont foget the spots they are very fun

Colorado Bass Man

MINE IS QUINCY RESERVIOR, I CATCH ALOT OF 5+ POUNDERS ON A DAILY BASSI AT QUINCY. MY BIGGEST FROM THERE IS 8 POUNDS EVEN, SHE WAS OFF THE LAKE RECORD BY 3 OUNCES. YEAH BUT QUINCY HAS EVERY THING, BRUSH PILES(I PLANTED), ISLANDS, CHANNELS, INLETS, OUTLETS, AREATOR, DOZENS OF DROP OFFS, A DOCK, A LARGE DAM, DEEP GRASS, COONTAIL, GRASS MATS, ROCK PILES(I ALSO PLANTED), SAND, CLAY, STANDING TIMBER, DOWNED TREES, SMALL ROCKS AND PEBBLES AND A TON OF PERCH AND CRAWS.

Aaron
Thanks St. Croix rods, Sportsmans Warehouse, Ranger boats, Quantum, Stanley Jigs, Rat-L-Trap and Flambeau.

Basso Profundo

Quote from: bassineveryday on May 03, 2007, 02:28:57 PM
I fish all over colorado and usually on a daily basis i tend to like smaller ponds for the earlier parts of the season
like the pond's at 104th and McKay rd. in thornton or the small pond on 64th and Pecos they bold hold decent largemouth that tend to get active faster the pond on 64th hold a decent amount of smallmouth which all have bad attitudes which just means they are aggressive but when summer starts to roast these lakes pueblo and horsetooth
can bring in some nice bags  ~gator
I wonder if I have ever seen you @ 64th & pecos....surprisingly good bass in that lake, look on Google maps and check out the lake s/w of that one south of the platte...sketchy R.R. bridge to get to it but there are BIG bass in it.
As far as my favorite lake......hmmm...McCalls west of longemonte...home water growing up.
call me Erik

HawgGirl

I like John Martin and Lake Hasty. Although Lake Hasty is very small its got some larger fish in it. It also reminds me of those at home with all the veg. in it. Lake Hasty is located just below the res.
John Martin is a very large res. however the calm summer mornings you can see the fish jumping out of the water. 6 lbers are a lot of fun to catch.  ~gf

"Every woman should have a cordless drill, a fishing pole and a black lace bra"

Sponsored by:
A Star Heating & Air conditioning LLC.
Laser Lure

HawgGirl

have to say Brush Hollow is mine as well! ~gf
"Every woman should have a cordless drill, a fishing pole and a black lace bra"

Sponsored by:
A Star Heating & Air conditioning LLC.
Laser Lure

Bass4Life

Metro area lakes and ponds, most people dunk bait for stocker trout, most places I fish I"m the only one chasing bass
Bass On

technaturalist

Any good places to fish from the shore around Fort Collins?

BASSNUTS

I just moved to CO...What are the best lakes to hit up in my tube? thanks for any info  ~cf

BASSNUTS

Quote from: BASSNUTS on July 07, 2010, 06:38:55 PM
I just moved to CO...What are the best lakes to hit up in my tube? thanks for any info  ~cf
Anyone

CWBass

Several good ponds in north Denver suburbs for shore fishing.  When taking the boat out, I'd have to say Pueblo is my favorite, but due to distance I go to Horsetooth more often.

BASS BOSS!!

i love pueblo resivore awesome lake good cover great bluffs nice smallmout largies spots!!!
Seth Willard
Bass boss!and your abu garcia man!

Shoshoni

I'll revive an old thread.  ;D
I fish Coal Creek Golf Course in Louisville. I was the Assistant Superintendent (golf turf management) there for several years. So, I know the ponds that fish best.
This year I am going a few miles North to the ponds/lakes in Hygiene. There are a chain of lakes called "Pella lakes"...it's unbelievable!
I'm up for any water within a 100 mile radius tho.  ~cf