Your Favorite Lake in Massachusetts

Started by mossboss, November 16, 2006, 06:46:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mossboss

QUABOG POND  Brookfield, MA
Mass. Pike RT. 90 West. Take Exit 9 onto RT. 20  East. Follow to RT. 49  North. Follow to RT. 9 West. Go approx. 4 miles, look for Clam Box Restaurant on left. Take left onto Quabog  Street. Go 1 mile Ramp is on right. There is no marina on the lake and this is a link for a map

Adam

Webster Lake, Webster Massachusetts

Action Marine
311 THOMPSON RD
WEBSTER, MA 01570

(508) 949-1700

http://www.actionmarine.com/index.htm

bennym

I'm up here in Central Ma.... the Gardner area..... Been to the Quabbin, lake Rohunta, and the other "big places in the area.... but ya know what....

There are a ton of small places in the area that hold some good LM fish... 5 and 6 pounders, and they don't get fished much.... :o  I'm talkin' bout places like Upper Wrights, Long Meadow pond, Brigham pond, Whitney pond... etc. etc..... the list goes on.... ~shhh

Now because they don't get fished much.... I find I usually catch a fish at least every third cast  ~c~ So I guess I've gotten spoiled  ::) If I go someplace and don't catch a fish by the fourth cast.... I move on !  ~sweat   

I'd rather be on a small pond or lake catching a good size fish every few minutes or so, instead of  being at one of the "popular" lakes that are over crowded and heavily fished, where you're lucky to catch 4 or 5 fish all day...  lo

So I'd say, don't pass up the smaller ponds and lakes in the area.... there's allot of fish in  them to be caught.... Just a thought.....  ::)
Thanks for listening, good fishin'

basspro8

couldn't agree mor bennym, good to have another Mass guy on board.
http

bennym

Glad to be here Basspro8....
What part of the state are you in ?
Thanks for listening, good fishin'

mikespaz

My favorite pond is ThreeMile Pond in Sheffield ,MA,but look out for low water and weeds galore this summer, flat hull john boat with electric motor works best. Good luck.

toad

My favorite, although not a lake/pond is Quabbin Reservoir in Marxachusetts.  It supplies the drinking water for most of the Eastern part of Marxachusetts.

It is totally pristine!  You can see, eagles, deer, bear, beaver, turkeys, turkey vultures, loons, and so many other forms of wildlife it is unbelievable.  What you won't see are houses, highways.  It is probably the wildest spot in Marxachusetts.
118 Miles of shoreline and depths up to 120'.

I love it out there.  I always come back feeling relaxed and refreshed.

It has just about any kind of fish you could want but my favorite is the small-mouth.
"If you look like a rabbit, and act like a rabbit, you will be treated like a rabbit - prey for all predators." 
-- Stony Loft

jigga318

my favorite area in mass is in the cape there is so many great lakes down there like wequachet and johns pond or the agawaum river you got moponsett in halifax i love the fishing in mass i live in ri and all my fun fishing is in mass the fishing is so much better

Bassmasterxp

Have 2 lakes up here in the north eastern part of Massachusetts.
The first lake is Lake Saltonstall (Plugs) in Haverhill,Ma.45 acres of stained
water,but in 1980 Bass where put in to control the craw fish population.
The maximum depth is 25 feet.My biggest Bass came out of there that
was 10.3 pounds.A lot of good Bass here.
The second lake is Mitchells pond in Boxford,Ma.with stained water.
Maximum depth of 60 feet,but has some good weed cover and pockets,and
fallen timber.We know that there is big Bass here too.
No gas motors allowed in these 2 ponds,but electric is allowed as long if
they are registered.Cars top or pick up trucks are the easiest to get to
Mitchells,but Plugs does have 2 boat ramps one on Mill st.and the other
is by the swimming area off Mill st.If you are up in the area always check with
the locals to see witch ones you can fish.Happy fishing BOOYAH.

Redleg aka hoffa09

Quote from: Bassmasterxp on March 29, 2008, 08:03:39 AM
How do you get to mitchell's pond?  Do you have a street to access off of?

bassin83

im just over the boarder of mass i live in newton nh..but my fav lake/pond in mass would be crystal lake..everytime i go there i have nothing but great luck there and caught my biggest bass there the other day 5.5lb female nice fight

bassmasterxp: plugs is ok.. havnet had alot of good luck there you should try crystal lake its right off rt 97 (broadway) take crystal st on the right and follow that for about 1 mile you'll see the lake ! let me know if anyone wants info or wants to go im up for anytime! im usually there thursday,fri, sun mornin!
ouch! this hurt bad!!

Redleg aka hoffa09

Bassin83,

Once I get my boat back from the dealer I will let you know if I am heading down to crystal.  TTYL

dirtiegirtie

So I've recently moved up to Belchertown, MA from NJ and the only place I've been to is the Quabbin.  I have a few questions...

1. Is it safe to assume that all lakes/ponds/rivers in MA are unlimited hp unless there is a sign?  In NJ they had a list of lakes online that showed which ones were restricted to 9.9hp, which ones were electric only, and which ones were no power lakes.  I don't have a huge outboard or anything, but I would like to take my 25hp off and put the 60hp back on and hit some new spots.

2. Is there any lakes/rivers with decent water sports?  Just hoping to find somewhere I could bring the wife and hang out on the boat for the day, including some swimming.

I see little lakes all over the place but I'm rather intimidated going for the first time without knowing the rules.  I don't want to be that  ^-^ that puts his boat in the water and starts flying around the lake no knowing that it's electric only or something! PoPo

Any help (like identifying online resources) is appreciated.

Thanks,
Don

Redleg aka hoffa09

Quote from: dirtiegirtie on June 10, 2008, 02:34:56 PM
So I've recently moved up to Belchertown, MA from NJ and the only place I've been to is the Quabbin.  I have a few questions...

1. Is it safe to assume that all lakes/ponds/rivers in MA are unlimited hp unless there is a sign?  In NJ they had a list of lakes online that showed which ones were restricted to 9.9hp, which ones were electric only, and which ones were no power lakes.  I don't have a huge outboard or anything, but I would like to take my 25hp off and put the 60hp back on and hit some new spots.

2. Is there any lakes/rivers with decent water sports?  Just hoping to find somewhere I could bring the wife and hang out on the boat for the day, including some swimming.

I see little lakes all over the place but I'm rather intimidated going for the first time without knowing the rules.  I don't want to be that  ^-^ that puts his boat in the water and starts flying around the lake no knowing that it's electric only or something! PoPo

Any help (like identifying online resources) is appreciated.

Thanks,
Don

Don - Here is a link that should help, if you click around it should tell you if there are restrictions.  If not your best bet is to call MA F & G and they should be able to tell what restrictions there are on bodies of water.

good luck!

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/habitat/maps/ponds/pond_maps_cvd.htm

Chris

GRIZZZ

The Q-Quabbin Res.
Chuu-Wachusetts Res.
And the Cape-Cape Cod

Fishing is at it's best in these 3 areas!
Quabbin Res. and Wachusetts Res. are located west of the coast of Massachusetts.
Salt water is Outstanding come May to November, then it gets to cold, for me anyways!

Walden Pond in Concord Mass. is another favorite of mine

krismac

1.  Long Pond - Harwich, MA   Great largemouth and smallmouth fishing. Tough lake to fish. Typical Cape pond with great depth in spots (50+ feet...deep for MA) and not alot of cover. You end up fishing alot of points, drop offs, flats, and boat moorings.
2. "The Nip"- Lake Nippeniticut (No idea if that is spelled correctly) in Bridgewater. Very shallow. Lily pads and rock fields in certain areas. Great fishing, though. Caught a limit of over 20lbs 2yrs ago.
3. Lake Sabattia - Taunton   Lots of different areas to fish. Shallow, deep, humps, lily pads, river channel. You name it, this lake has it. Very busy in the summer with recreational boaters and jet skis.

Dadfishnotmadfish

I am in central mass and I say after june 1 stay out of the quabbin...all you get is sunburn...Rohunta has enormous bass if you can fish a frog or rat well all summer..bring a pushpole and an electric motor that is weedless, and flat bottoms are best.. Spiderwire is a must!!
What a giant,GIANT, Fish! It must be 8 or 9 mustaches LONG!!!

Dunham Fisher

My favorite pond is my siggy, Dunham Pond in Carver! 

Kolby24

I am from Orange, MA and I would have to say my favorite Lake is my hometown spot Lake Rohunta. You have to know the right spots to fish but there are some serious MONSTERS

BassinDad77

Well, I don't have a boat so the two criteria for me is anyplace that has abundant shoreline and is also productive.  That being said, my favorite "Lake" in Mass is probably a place that I shouldn't be fishing at all, but yields 3-5 pounders on a regular basis.  It's called the Great Pond Reservoir which touches parts of Braintree and Randolph.  In spring and early summer before the water levels recede I've caught the majority of my fish right off shore on Oak Street In Randolph.  It's too shallow for anything other than plastics and topwater, but my oh my do they eat those up.  There is very little fishing pressure there, mostly because the "No Trespassing" signs ward off most casual fishermen, but even the police will tell you where to fish so you are out of sight out of mind.  Because this is Randolph's water supply, the southern half does dry up considerably, but you can easily travel a couple of miles up the street and fish the Northern half.  The water is a little deeper, much clearer and home to both Smallmouth and Largemouth bass.  There are several footpaths and access points to the shore, including a dam right on the Braintree line near Brooks Drive, but there is very limited parking.  Your best bet is to park in the 300 Pond Street parking lot and walk across the street, cut through the woods and there is plenty of shoreline to fish.  There are also some HUGE chain pickerel in this place as well as 25-30 lb Carp.  If you decide to try it out, you won't be disappointed.  Happy fishing.

bassmaster3541

Quote from: Bassmasterxp on March 29, 2008, 08:03:39 AM
Does anybody know where Mitchell's pond is? I live in the town next to Boxford and have never even heard of it
Pro Staff for Dobyns Rods, Elite Tungsten, and Buggs Jigs

henrylarry6

I also love Quabbin!  My family plans a Massachusetts weekend getaways at least twice a year.  It's easy to pack up the family and travel to anywhere in the state!

Basscatcher74

Hello Bennym,
I am from Gardner,mass also. How do we contact each other by private messaging here ?.

TheBassHole

I'm from the Cape and my favorite pond is Peters Pond in Sandwich. Big largemouth, smallmouth, trout and its one of the only places with landlocked salmon in the state.

muzz

My Favorite all time in Ma. for LMB, has got to be Atwood Res. in Carver, you used to be able to drive right down Meadow St. and cut through the bogs, a road went around the entire body of water. Sportsman's club kicked Everyone out(they leased it or some such nonsense after I fished there 20yrs), and then a builder bought most of that meadow St. frontage and built it up with houses. Place had very large fish, 9" Mann's worms were killer here thanks to it's eel population. Snapped off more large fish here on fresh 10# test than anywhere.
Ponkapog in Randolph has nice LMB- my PB was from here.
No motorboats in either location.