Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thank you! Sorry about the wait...

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

X Zone Lures

Lockett Lures Outlet

K9 Fishing Line

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: How many are rod/reel brand loyal?  (Read 6588 times)

Cody Coyote

• Largemouth
  • Forget the Road Runner, I'm goin' fishing!!!!!
Re: How many are rod/reel brand loyal?
« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2007, 03:13:04 AM »

I am pretty much all Ambassadeur reels using Ugly Stick rods. I also have a few Zebco rods and reels for my kids and sac-a-lait fishing.

kw4570gov

• Largemouth
  • Tin Bullet
« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2007, 08:10:35 AM »

My reels are are almost all Abu-Garcia, with a couple BPS Extremes. My rods are a combo of BPS, All star, Castaway, and Diawa.

Kent

coldfront

• Ultimate Basser
« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2007, 08:42:29 PM »

Rods:  Cabelas XML (really like the 7-footers in MH and Heavy)...rest are Shimano Crucials and Compres
Reels:  Shimano...except for a three Ambassador Records on the heavy rods (7 foot heavy action, 7-11 swimbait crucial)   the heavy rods seem to balance better with the round reels and two-handed casting...reels are 'old' curados and Saharas...

not so thrilled with the 'new' curados...

hot_rod_mike

• Smallmouth
  • CATCH AND RELEASE
    • bass pro shops
« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2007, 10:18:53 PM »

I think a lot of people  go to the $$ brands for many reasons.   I wanted the lightest and sensitive setup I could find.  I went with a custom rod... if you are spending 200+ for a rod its its not a custom.. you are getting taken for a ride.  Loomis sells a 120.00 blank to a builder and charges you 350... why so when you break it, you will send it back and they still have at least 90 bucks of your money, plus their profit on the blank. Oh my rodbuilder will replace for free his rods if you break it on a fish, and will pay 50% if you break it on your own. Which I tried to talk him out of.  If you are gonna snap a rod because you are mandhandling it, you shouldnt get a new one.   I asked about him building me a Loomis blank, he told me I would be wasting my money, unless I wanted to tell my friends I had a loomis.  He has a patent on his handles.  its a cork handle with graphite bands connecting you to the blank without you having to hold on to the actual blank.

I went with shimano and BPS reels because they are light.  I wont own a 9+ oz reel.  I learned you dont need 200+ yards of line on your reel... Heck you never take it down to the spool.
For laughs I bought a few LEWS laser reels.  While not the fit and finish of a Chronach mg its a nice reel.  Only 29.99 too.   You are gonna lose fish because of your rod, settings on your reel, or your way of fishing... not because you have a 29.99 dollar reel and the next guy has a 649.99 reel.  Pay the $$$ for a rod, and worry about the reel later...
   ............... I feel the same way

Bassinkorea

• UB Nightshift
  • CM Chief Community Diplomat
  • UB for life - UB Life Member
« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2007, 03:46:08 AM »

I used to be all Shimano rods and reels.
But, just recently I bought a new baitcasting rod and reel and a spinning rod from Surecatch. (in Korea).

QuantumGuy85

• UB Member
« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2007, 05:14:18 PM »

Quantum rods and reels ALL THE WAY!!

BigCheese

• Ultimate Basser
  • Team Keelshield
    • Cooper River Bassmasters.Com
« Reply #56 on: March 03, 2007, 06:18:50 AM »

Well I guess chock another on up to Shimano.  I have used there reels since I was in middle school and just up graded as I made more $$ in life.  As for rods I used to be a big All-Star fan but since Shakesphere bought them out and there warranty has changed from life time to 3 years I am switching over the Kistler.  Reason 1 is for the warranty and 2 because they are one of the lightest and one of the most sensitive rods I have ever held.  I just can't see paying $180 for an All-Star Platinum rod and if it breaks in three years (I broke 2 flippin' sticks on the hook-set last year) I'm SOL!!!!

Fullspectrum

• Smallmouth
« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2007, 11:24:21 PM »

I'm running with Shimano, but the door is always open to other brands.  I want to take advantage of all the products manufacturers are willing to throw at me as an angler.

Richard Cooper

• Smallmouth
  • FnG
« Reply #58 on: March 05, 2007, 05:46:42 PM »

100 % kistler Rods all the way.  I have used bass pro shop brands, shimano, american rodsmith, and numerous others but the first kistler i held changed my mind for good.  I will never have another rod, Trey and his company make the best rods around using high quality components.
Richard Cooper

Kistler Rods, Albackore Tackle Storage, Kidlizard Bait Company, Tripple Fish Lines

BassBoss 10lbr

• Smallmouth
« Reply #59 on: March 05, 2007, 09:40:20 PM »

All my rigs are Pinnacle Metal Series so I guess I am brand loyal.  My wife bought me  a reel/rod combo for our wedding anniversary and it was a Pinnacle, I fell in love with it and it has not given me any problems in over 3 years of heavy use. That is why I switched all my rigs to Pinnacle
Preserve the sport, take a kid fishing!
                Give a man a fish you feed him for a day, teach a man to fish you feed him for a lifetime.

fowlmouth

• UB Member
« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2007, 09:47:57 PM »

All Quantum/St.croix, am branching out this year and added 2 Shimano's

cjr4497

• Smallmouth
« Reply #61 on: March 07, 2007, 03:07:54 PM »

all star and shimano

Shawn Mertens

• Smallmouth
« Reply #62 on: March 11, 2007, 10:03:32 AM »

Reels:  90% Shimano, 10% Diawa.  I really like those new Diawa Viento reels. 

Rods:  American Rodsmith all the way!!  Awesome sensitivity, and great warranty for those rare occasions!!

Cajun1

• Smallmouth
« Reply #63 on: March 11, 2007, 10:31:05 AM »

Rods: Falcon

Reels: Pinnacle
Rip-a-Lip!

Paul Keith

• Smallmouth
    • Caddo Lake Guide Service
« Reply #64 on: March 11, 2007, 11:04:53 AM »

Shimano reels
Shimano and G Loomis rods

Did not know there were any other rod/reel companies....  lo

Bass 24 7

• Smallmouth
« Reply #65 on: March 11, 2007, 05:31:05 PM »

4 spinning rods of which one is a 6'6 St Croix Avid,2 old Mitchel  Fulcrum's(cheap but real sensative) and one Fenwick HMG all have Diawa reels,8 baitcast rods,Avids,Premier,Falcon,AllStar,Shimano,Shakespear and Outlaw, reels are Shimano,Upper end Quatums and Diawa.

Beagle

• Ultimate Basser
  • 2007 Ultimate Bass Angler Of The Year
« Reply #66 on: March 12, 2007, 12:00:19 AM »

I use to be 100% Diawa. Until they got totally stupid with there pricing. They dropped the ball and let the average joe down.  ~rant

Gabby

• Largemouth
  • "Tackle Shops Love Me, Fish Laugh at Me"
« Reply #67 on: March 12, 2007, 04:35:58 PM »

Reels:  Shimano
Rods: I have a few Castaways and I really like the Bass Pro Rick Clunns.  Have about 4 of those and a Johnny Morris.  I'm not good enough an angler to be too picky about my rods, though.
http://public.fotki.com/Gabby8/ang

Bass 24 7

• Smallmouth
« Reply #68 on: March 12, 2007, 06:01:29 PM »

Gabby ,rods that are better quality,will let you feel more,and catch more,making you a better angler.The rod is one of the most critical parts of the equation.I sold one of my St Croix Avids to a guy from work that fishes with me occassionaly.His fish in the boat % rocketed skyward,and is now looking to get some more quality equipment.

Gabby

• Largemouth
  • "Tackle Shops Love Me, Fish Laugh at Me"
« Reply #69 on: March 12, 2007, 08:23:53 PM »

Gabby ,rods that are better quality,will let you feel more,and catch more,making you a better angler.The rod is one of the most critical parts of the equation.I sold one of my St Croix Avids to a guy from work that fishes with me occassionaly.His fish in the boat % rocketed skyward,and is now looking to get some more quality equipment.

Hmmmm.  What do you guys think of the quality of the Clunns?  They seem pretty sensitive and well put together.  I need to use my Johnny Morris setup more often.  The Castaway I use as a worm/lizard rod was a good one my buddy Brantley Salter got me when I started fishing back in 03.  I love that stick.  What are some of the better rods that may help me have a little more fun?
http://public.fotki.com/Gabby8/ang

Cajun1

• Smallmouth
« Reply #70 on: March 13, 2007, 10:20:24 PM »

What are some of the better rods that may help me have a little more fun?

I personally like the Falcon rods, I have several of the Originals, Lowriders, and Cara's.  For the money, I like the Lowriders the best.  They are extremely light, sensitive, and strong.  Once I bought one of these, I got rid of all my cheaper rods and started saving to buy the Falcon's one at a time.  I have tried G-Loomis, All-Star, American Rodsmith and Castaway but I just kept going back to the Falcon.  The only rod I have now that isn't a Falcon is my wife's Castaway.

One more thing, don't take my word for it.  Try different stuff until you find what you like.  Hope this helps!
Rip-a-Lip!

coldfront

• Ultimate Basser
« Reply #71 on: March 15, 2007, 12:16:04 PM »

Reels:  Shimano
Rods: I have a few Castaways and I really like the Bass Pro Rick Clunns.  Have about 4 of those and a Johnny Morris.  I'm not good enough an angler to be too picky about my rods, though.

I'll call BS on that...yes, you are a good enough angler to get good equipment.  When getting my kids started I refused to have them use snoopy poles...started right off with spinning tackle, fly rods...and graduated up to baitcasters before they were 13...IM7/8 rods and high quality reels.  They can catch as good as anyone now...just need work on locating the fish (as do I ~shhh)

livetofish

• UB Member
« Reply #72 on: March 15, 2007, 06:29:41 PM »

Once i got my first Pfluger i was hooked. That is all I have now. The new Supremes are sweet

docav

• Ultimate Basser
    • http://dougcavin.com
« Reply #73 on: March 18, 2007, 01:11:20 AM »

been using the bps jm reels for 3-4 years and made the switch to woo rods last year from all-star. doug

one2fish

• UB Member
« Reply #74 on: March 21, 2007, 06:33:51 PM »

Buy the top of the line best and forget the rest....that can only be the quality tackle from Shimano and Loomis....and Shimano now owns Loomis...so that kinda keeps it in the family. Spent a small fortune, incidently, finding this out over a bunch of years of fishing. There is nothing made that can't be made cheaper and sold for less. Nuff said. 
JIM M
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 23 queries.