How many are rod/reel brand loyal?

Started by bassin_man, January 14, 2007, 12:24:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bassin_man

How many here are rod/reel brand loyal and only buy from that one special company?  Which company is it?  I was thinking of going one company only for rods and one company for reels but figured unless your a big name pro getting sponsored by a company it doesn't make a difference.

GotstaFish

95% of my rods and reels are Shimano. I have 1 Pinnacle reel and 5 rods that are not. 2 Quarrows and 3 St. Croix's. This is out of about 20 combos.

crab

I only own one other reel than shimano and thats phluger. I have 3 main brands of rods shimano,st croix,and g-loomis.
He who dies with the most lures wins!

Thats why they call it fishin and not catchin!

CJ Basser8

for me, my only rod is a G-Blank.  As far as I;m concrned, they are the lightest, most sensitive rod for the money.

Reels....I have about half shimao and half Daiwa, but I;m workign my way to going comepletely to daiwa

DAWG

Dunham Fisher

Mostly Abu-Garcia.  Dollar for dollar, they've held up longer than anything else in my price range.

hesjustbassin

I've gone to all custom rods. As for reels my theory is simple. Each reel has it's own distinct feel and that includes different types within the same brand. I use only one type on all my rods (shimano chronarch mg), so that when I go from one rod to the next there is no difference in feel for me. I am a firm believer that this improves casting consistency.
'Insanity is doing the same things over and over again and expecting the different results' Albert Einstein.

Mike Cork

Laurie and I are exclusive Shimano users. I have played with others and there is some excellent equipment out there but Shimano has always been very durable and carries a variety of equipment that allows you to start at a decent price range and move up as you can afford it. Outstanding products and service. Just haven't had a bad experience and no reason to look elsewhere :-*

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

here fishy,fishy

Shimano is my favorite, but I find myself becoming a tackleholic and have to try the lastest and greatest. After that I keep the ones i like and sale the rest. I wish Shimano still build the old curado reels, they were my favorite. I think if you stick to one brand you will more than likely have more consistences.

bassin_man

Ooops guess I forgot to put what all I use. :bang  Reels is the one place I am brand loyal.  I am using all Shimano feels the best in my hand and they are great reels.  As for rods I'm thinking its going to end up being a combination of Shimano/loomis rods with a Cabelas XML that is thrown in there from a christmas present.

Edit:  While we are on this subject. Do you feel that the Pro's use only the rods that they are sponsored by or do you think they slip a couple different ones in their rod box?

GotstaFish

Quote from: bassin_man on January 14, 2007, 12:14:41 PM

Edit:  While we are on this subject. Do you feel that the Pro's use only the rods that they are sponsored by or do you think they slip a couple different ones in their rod box?
While watching a few tournaments a couple of years back, I noticed about 80% were using the Curado 200b's even though some had other sponsors.

crab

Troy I talked to the shimano rep. and he said the new citica is the old curado.
He who dies with the most lures wins!

Thats why they call it fishin and not catchin!

GotstaFish

Quote from: crab on January 14, 2007, 01:44:40 PM
Troy I talked to the shimano rep. and he said the new citica is the old curado.
Its a completly different reel.

OutdoorFrontiers

I would have to say that I am brand loyal.

If you open the rod lockers in my FastCat, you'll see 12 baitcasting rods in one locker, open the other side and you'll see 12 spinning rods.  Now, all of them are custom built rods, but you'll see that they're all St. Croix blanks with Fuji Guides/reelseats.  Look in my office at the rod racks where I keep my backup rods, and you'll see that they're built on St. Croix blanks as well too!

I also have Shimano reels on all of the rods but two.  The two rods that I built for dragging suckers for muskies have Abu Garcia 6500's on them.  The reason they're on the rods?  They have a bait-clicker feature.  Otherwise, you'll see Shimano Sahara and Stradic spinning reels, and Curado or Chronarch baitcasting reels.

Steve
Steve Huber OutdoorFrontiersTv

MABVA

Rods : St Croix.

Reels : Shimano & Quantum.

BIG PAPA

I am pretty much a Shimano Reel guy, and love the crucial rods by shimano but like the Falcon lowrider rods just as much.
papa

paxpress

Andrew

Shimano Crucial rods and Quantum reels.
Everyone talks about rock these days; the problem is they forget about the roll - Keith Richards

OHbassaholic

Shimano reels for sure but too many different rods at this time.  Gonna try out some Shimano rods but right now my favorites are All Star Select series and Falcon Lowriders.

boatnum

Shimano reels have been my constant for more than 15 years.

Bassonly

I am just now switching my rods out, but I have been exclusively Shimano for my reels for a long time. My rods are G.Loomis.
Boone Powell
Fishing is my job and my passion.

topcat

Daiwa reels and Shimano rods///I do have a Shimano reel that was give to me it is a nice reel but I prefer Daiwa......

Topcat

Fish On

I'm pretty loyal to St.Croix rods and Emeralds( to bad their not made anymore  :'( )
I love the quantum energy!  Expensive but worth every penny!
Alluringbaits.com        Fish307.com             Protackle.net
Boatboys.com            Furryfishbaits.com    Sunrizetackle.com    cbshawgsauce.com  
Secretweaponlures.com         Pourboyplastics.com

mess93

I use St. Croix rods with all Pflueger reels with exception of 1 cabela's Prodigy reel. 

Warpath

I only own Shimano reels and I am switching my rods one at a time to Crucials when I have enough money.

Eric