How many are rod/reel brand loyal?

Started by bassin_man, January 14, 2007, 12:24:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

volfever

I have a litlle bit of everything, TDA on All Star rod, REVO S on St. Croix rod, Quantum on Falcon rod, another ABU on a Berkley lightning rod, and last another Quantum Energy on a Loomis rod.

nwaoutdoorsman

Shimano reels, Loomis rods....the best in my book!
Hodge Handyman Service,
Hook, Line & Sinker Bait Shops,
War Eagle Custom Lures

islandbass

I like shimano, but in no way am I brand loyal to the point of sticking with a company exclusively. I just couldn't do that.

One of my goals is to have a baitcast ultra light set up. Well, there isn't a Crucial in that could handle that so what is one who is exclusively loyal to one brand going to do? Leave that section of the arsenal empty?

For me, I want to acquire the tool that will best suit me, and if that means I need to get something from say Daiwa (like a pixy  ;D), then by Job, how much I like Shimano is not going to get in my way.

Just because I love Shimano (and I do) doesn't mean that I wouldn't be willing to have a Steez or two or three in my arsenal. :roll2:

Give me a steez if you please. :roll2:
ARX - IB's Daughter on BC Reels:
"Papi! I like this reel. It is so much easier to use than the other one (the spinning reel) and it is more fun to use too." Now all I can say to that is this;
"That's my little girl!"

Wristpin1

Shimano/Loomis for many years. However, those new ten ounce Shimanos will not be deflowering my Loomis rods! Looking hard at Daiwa Zillions right now.

JayPea2006

I have too many Shimano Crucial's to count, but are slowly giving way to the new Stafford Avengor rods that are sponsoring me. A relatively new name in the rod field but made with great quality and attention to detail. They have a new reel seat that won't allow for the reel to wobble as they sometimes do on other brand rods.

As for reels, I have nothing but Pflueger Trion's and Presidents in bait casting, and Presidents for spinning as well.

OutdoorFrontiers

JP, does Stafford have a website?

Steve
Steve Huber OutdoorFrontiersTv

jfelice13

I use ESOX rods, they have superior construction, are super light and have guides that will insure the eyelets wont fall out. I have paired all my rods with Shimano Scorpion 1001. I love the weight and feel of this combo. I have used a couple different rods and reels and feel this is the best combo i have owned.

dawsonb

I love my Fenwicks and for trolling I use garcias and for spinning I use Penn and for casting I use Quantum and spincasting either Johson or Diawa.
Thanks and have a great day!

justtrying

before my "sabbatical" i used garcias, but when i started back, i bought a shimano to try.  i liked it, so started buying high end shimanos.
now, i only have shimano reels & custom rods.   ...and, i Really enjoy using them!

ronnie

skeet39

I am also brand loyal.  I have all shimano curado's new and old.
Rods- I have Falcon's for Worms, Jigs, Carolina, some spinnerbaits and crankbaits.  I also own 6 American Rodsmith Fiberglass rods that I use for Bigger Crankbaits, Spinnerbaits, and Lipless Cranks.

aaronis

I have fenwick and shimano for rods.  My primary would have to be the fenwick.  I use a sedona reel which I believe is a shimano reel.

FishHawk

I don't have a rod preference or loyalty, whatever feels good when I buy it is what I get. 

As far as reels, I have a pretty good mix, but I have more Shimano than any other reel brand.  Actually, I just picked up a Shimano Symetre 4000RI today, can't wait to try it out!  My other newer reel that I bought end of last summer is an Okuma Avenger.  It's a pretty sweet reel and it was only about $30.00 on sale at Gander Mnt.  I like it a lot, but I haven't given it a good full season workout yet.
www.stephensoutdoors.com
www.crookedcreektackle.com

Roadkill/SC

Shimano Curados (200B's)...........St. Croix Premiers............Nuff Said
Fish On, Get the Net!!!!

WES

im not brand loyal at all. as far as bait casters  go i have 2 quantums, 3 bps , 1 shimano, 3 abu garcia, 2 diawa and 1 pflugars. spinning rees i have 1 quantum,  1 bps , 1 pflugar , 1 diawa.   i dont know where to start with rods i have 1 falcon, 4 bps, 2 kistler, 2 acadia, 1 berkley lightning, 4 allstars and 2 quantum light  i think im going to stick with shimano reels and either falcon or shimano rods from now on

BassCast26

Quote from: MABVA on January 14, 2007, 02:25:25 PM
Rods : St Croix.

Reels : Shimano & Quantum.

my setup exactly. I was all shimano reels, but the tour edition and energy from quantom is strating to grow on me. 7 and 11 bearing systems.  ;D
st croix premier and legend series rods :)
Shimano Reels
St. Croix Rods

HellaBass

I am almost strictly Shimano Reels and Loomis Rods

conniek

well, tommy and i are loyal shimano reel users and now crucial rod users, thanks to mike and laurie, we are changing over. ;D the crucials are awesome.
conniek-Gycb Pro Staff,Ask about our maint. video and training school- SEE US IN DEC ISSUE BASSMASTER

GotstaFish

Quote from: conniek on January 21, 2007, 06:14:14 PM
well, tommy and i are loyal shimano reel users and now crucial rod users, thanks to mike and laurie, we are changing over. ;D the crucials are awesome.
Yes they are  ;D
[Please enable JavaScript to see this content]

dulhook

All Shimano except one Quantum TE. I haven't been as loyal to rods, I've got a bunch of different ones but I'm settling down to Loomis.

fishnde

for rods I use st.croix (19) oh, and I have 1 falcon. Reels i have a mix of quantum and shimano's.

J10B

I think a lot of people  go to the $$ brands for many reasons.   I wanted the lightest and sensitive setup I could find.  I went with a custom rod... if you are spending 200+ for a rod its its not a custom.. you are getting taken for a ride.  Loomis sells a 120.00 blank to a builder and charges you 350... why so when you break it, you will send it back and they still have at least 90 bucks of your money, plus their profit on the blank. Oh my rodbuilder will replace for free his rods if you break it on a fish, and will pay 50% if you break it on your own. Which I tried to talk him out of.  If you are gonna snap a rod because you are mandhandling it, you shouldnt get a new one.   I asked about him building me a Loomis blank, he told me I would be wasting my money, unless I wanted to tell my friends I had a loomis.  He has a patent on his handles.  its a cork handle with graphite bands connecting you to the blank without you having to hold on to the actual blank.

I went with shimano and BPS reels because they are light.  I wont own a 9+ oz reel.  I learned you dont need 200+ yards of line on your reel... Heck you never take it down to the spool.
For laughs I bought a few LEWS laser reels.  While not the fit and finish of a Chronach mg its a nice reel.  Only 29.99 too.   You are gonna lose fish because of your rod, settings on your reel, or your way of fishing... not because you have a 29.99 dollar reel and the next guy has a 649.99 reel.  Pay the $$$ for a rod, and worry about the reel later...

mac

Back when I could even afford more expensive rods, I still chose to use only UglyStik "Lite" rods.  I have sensitivity, ultimate durability, and the purchase price won't have me feeling guilty about the money I spent on them. ;D  My only complaint is that Shakespeare does not offer enough length variety in their one-piece rods.   
OIF Vet

c ball

Reels I use the old Curado 200 B5 and old Ambassadeur 4500c..Spinning I like Penn 4300SS and Pflueger Trion GX 4730 ..Rods St.Croix Avid  and Bps Tourney Special ...

wrp

castaway and shimano all the way.........  '-{
PROCRAFT BOATS,MERCURY,MOTORGUIDE,LOWRANCE,CASTAWAY GRAPHITE
RODS,SHIMANO.I LOVE CARSON AND LAUREN POWELL AND JIMELL
MILLS FOREVER!

bassn1

Quote from: mess93 on January 15, 2007, 07:59:39 PM
I use St. Croix rods with all Pflueger reels with exception of 1 cabela's Prodigy reel. 
How do you like the prodigy? I was thinking of getting one.

"Success is a Journey. Not a destination".