Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thank you! Sorry about the wait...

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

X Zone Lures

Lockett Lures Outlet

K9 Fishing Line

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LE-21 prop numbers  (Read 1436 times)

Mike Cork

• Father Time
  • Admin
  • Get the Net it's a Hawg
    • Ultimate Bass
LE-21 prop numbers
« on: January 28, 2007, 11:26:29 AM »

Well we finally got to play with a couple props on the Legend. We are running a 225 Pro XS at about 3.75 inches below pad.

All tests were done with full tournament load and fuel tank. The original prop is a 27 Tempest, RPM's with this prop run 5500 and on a cold day we can get 5550-5600 and GPS to 71.2

I have been wanting to get the RPM's up closer to the 6000 mark that Mercury wants this motor running at. So Robbie (Realdealprops from the site here) sent me a 25 pitch Trophy. This prop performed well and did increase RPM's to 5800 full tournament load and two people, however the speed dropped to 68.9 and would flash 69 occasionally ;) The boat handled very well appeared to have a little more lift but not very significant compared to the Tempest. Cornering and hole shot were good with no significant difference over the Tempest. The Legend hull corners very well with the three blade prop, I honestly didn't feel there was any room for improvement there anyway, same with the hole shot the boat jumps out of the hole with the tempest so there wasn't any room to improve there either.

Next prop was a 26 pitch Bravo that has eight ventilation ports. Hole shot with this prop was strong with out a stop watch I really couldn't say it was any faster than the other two props. RPM reached 5700 with a GPS speed of 69.4. Again this is still full tournament load and full fuel. There was an increase in boat lift, handling and cornering were still excellent.

In all these tests we forgot to fill the livewells :bang but at least all tests were the same.

Question?

I have tried raising the motor a quarter inch at a time on the Tempest and going up one quarter inch didn't make much difference but up 1/2 inch and gained RPM, but lost lift and speed. What can I expect by raising the motor with the 4 blades? Will it still bite or am I looking at the same lose of lift that occurred with the Tempest?

If I stick with the tempest (gets the best speed) am I hurting the motor by not getting to the upper end of the RPM range?
Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

AB

• Ultimate Basser
  • Team Advanced Marine
Re: LE-21 prop numbers
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 11:36:10 AM »

Mike, when you test a prop, you will have to adjust the jackplate to find the right setting for that prop.  On my old rig, when I ran a Tro4 I ran the plate 3/4" higher than when I ran a Trophy.  Were you still throwing the big rooster tail with the 4 blade props?

And yes, you want to prop it to turn about 200rpm off of the upper recomended rpm with a full, but normal fishing load.

Mike Cork

• Father Time
  • Admin
    • Ultimate Bass
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2007, 12:02:51 PM »

Mike, when you test a prop, you will have to adjust the jackplate to find the right setting for that prop.  On my old rig, when I ran a Tro4 I ran the plate 3/4" higher than when I ran a Trophy. 

If I come up with the Bravo, I still have a couple RPM to play with. We didn't play with the jack plate yesterday as it was raining and cold  lo Just curious as to what to expect? Sounds like you just don't know until you play with it  ;)

Were you still throwing the big rooster tail with the 4 blade props?

The rooster tail was much lower and more level. I liked the little bit of lift we got out of the Bravo, hoping I can come up a bit and get some more. Would make logical or mechanical sense that if I get more boat out of the water and the RPM's up I should pick up some speed as well  lo but I know that it doesn't always work that way. First experience playing with a Legend hull  :-*

Cork's Reel Service

AB

• Ultimate Basser
  • Team Advanced Marine
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2007, 12:24:41 PM »

You are on the right track Mike.  It just takes time, that's all.  Those 4 blades were hooking up a lot better than the Tempist.  I hate prop testing in the winter due to the cold.  I do most of my testing in the summer so I can just reach down and adjust the plate on the water.  That's the best way to know for sure, so you have the same load, water conditions, temp, etc.

Traditionally, the Bravo is a hard prop to turn.  It usually has a great holeshot, strong midrange, but runs out of steam on the top.  Generally it will be 1-2mph slower than your fast prop.  They do make an excellant tournament prop though.  Carry a load very well and it doesn't slow them down much.

A applaud you and Laurie for taking the time to try some props on that rig!  You two are going in the right direction with it, and given some more time, will have it flying.   ~c~ ~c~

Mike Cork

• Father Time
  • Admin
    • Ultimate Bass
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2007, 12:43:20 PM »

We are doing our best to keep the boat load the same, just wish I would have had the livewells full from the beginning. Now we just have to leave them empty. Yes the cold makes it trying to keep playing  :roll2: We'll take her out again this comming week and do some serious numbers crunching, not going to reach into the water to adjust, just going to load her  each time. During the week it's not a busy ramp so we can just leave the truck there  :-*

Both the Bravo and the Trophy had great throttle response in the mid ranges  :-*

Just hope we get her figured out before we sell her  :roll2: and have to start all over  ~sweat one boat to the next should be about the same though, there are always minor differences but at least we will know where to start :-*

Cork's Reel Service

J10B

• Fisher Person
  • FnG
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 11:30:53 AM »

AB is right about the 1-2mph,  But everything else will be better.  Your holeshot should greatly increase too, handling etc should improve, for me that is my 2 people prop.

AB its a 26p bravo that been labbed and blueprinted, with extra cupping added, Slip number should be done with a 27p.

AB I spin that to 80GPS with a pard, and 82.3 with load and alone. Its a pure fishing prop for me.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 24 queries.