Brandy Branch (Perky Power Plant) Bass Fishing Reports

Started by mmberry72, December 28, 2003, 12:33:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmberry72

Fished Perky on 12/27 with good numbers but not much size.
Fished the main lake point grass beds and caught fish on
variety of lures including carolina rig/drop shot and texas.
Best action was on suspending black/orange rogue fished just
over the grass. Also caught fish on red traps pulling traps thru
grass.  All in all...pretty good day just no size. Thought I would
add Perky to the Texas list because I know a lot of you are on
the lake...I was witness th that today.  Let me know how you
did...

MMBerry
Ranger Boats aren't Skeeter-ed, Nitro-ed or
                       Triton-ed!!!

Mike Cork

sounds like it was a decent day thank you for being so specific with your information. Good deal adding perky

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

fishrman

Fished Brandy Branch Tuesday morning  5:30 am till 11:00 am. Water temp was 78 deg. on the hot side and 59 deg. on the cold side. Since it was dark the first hour,  went to the hot water outlet and we caught the first 9 fish on a black spinnerbait. After the sun came up we caught another 10  fish on rattle traps, spinnerbaits, and wacky worms. There are a few males already on the beds!
Sit Down, shut up, and hold on!

mmberry72

Hello to all and Happy New Year....

Fished Brandy again on New Years Day...did not get on the water until
almost 900 am...and boy was that a mistake.  Counted 30 trailers at
the ramp and counted 10 of those boats all in the outake pocket of
the lake.  You could have almost jumped from boat to boat to boat
without getting your feet wet. Needless to say...decided to try a
different area and ended up with around 15 with my buddy fishing
standing timber with worms and senkos.  Carolina bite was dead
where we had done pretty good earlier...Oh well. Tried the cold water
side as well with water temp around 58 degees with no takers.

mmberry
Ranger Boats aren't Skeeter-ed, Nitro-ed or
                       Triton-ed!!!

Moose

Fished Brandy today. The wind gusted at over 25 mph at times, and blew steadily around 10-12 all day. Lake white-capped almost everywhere but in a cove or two. The wind still made boat maneuvering tough and casting/working plastics deep difficult to imposible. We did manage to boat 11 bass.  Of those 4 were keeper size. The lagest about 5 lbs. Lost about 5. Water was gin clear with temps from 63 at launch up to 75 degrees near the power plant. Most fish came on plastics in 5 feet of water near hydrilla edges. Wish we could've fished more of the lake. I don't recomend this lake when the wind blows hard.

Moose

Fished Thursday from 8:00 - 2:00 pm. Again the wind blew like crazy so I fished in the coves. I found the best pattern to be a crankbait in 7' water. I bounced it off the structure and caught 10. Sadly, only 3 were over 14". I hung one big 'un which I'd guess pushed 8 lbs. I fought her until she circled a stick-up on me. I tried to troll over and unwrap but she broke loose. Afterward, I heard her stick her head out 3 different times to try to shake the rattling crankbait. I'd look at the area of the splash for my bait but it must've been set too well. The largest I caught was about 3 lbs. I saw her in some structure about 5 feet down (water that clear). I tossed the crank past her just a bit and let it float. She swam straight up and grabbed it. Pretty fun. I lost a couple more at the boat and caught one big perch. Really only 2 quality fish and the big one got away!

Fished Brandy Branch today from 10 am until almost dark.  83 degrees at the hot water discharge, low 60's on the cold side.  Ended up with six fish, one about 6 lbs, another about 4, and the rest small ones.  Rattle trap on the inside grass line on humps and points.

Railroader

I was wondering if anyone has any info about this lake.. exactly where it is from shreveport? is it an open lake, is there boat rows ? have heard a little about it would like to make a trip to check it out. any info would be great.. thanks

docwaldo

perky is jusst a little south west of marshall.  the way to get there is to go on I-20 to exit 610.  get off and go south on that highway (i cannot remember the number).  go about 2-3 miles south and you will see the plant on the right of the road.  then another mile or two you will see a sign on the left side of the road pinting the direction to the "PUBLIC BOAT RAMP"  take that right and it will dead end into the lake. 

there are no boat rows.  if the water is not occluded with sticks, you can run it.  there is a ton of grass--old coon tail moss.  there are hundreds of littel pockets that run off the main horseshoe lake.  one end of the horseshoe is the hot side and the other is the cold side. 

i went there lasst saturday and caught 7.  i caught a 5.5 on my third cast on a white and char spinnerbait.  caught 7 total and the ranged from that 5.5 to a little over 2.  had a ggood time.  good luck.

drop it deep and yank it hard.  .  .

doc   lo

Siggy by DundeeMike
CATFISHERMEN HAVE STIFFER RODS!!
doc  :)

Railroader

thanks for the info, just need to get a TX licence and will give it a try....

bulldog

that would be St. Hwy 43,  take a right at about 2-3 miles, then go about 11/2-2 miles and you'll see the sign Doc is talking about.  Take it slowly...little rough going back in there.  Some are having more luck at mid-day in the grass.  but you can always do well if you are familiar with powerplant lakes, so I hear. let us know how you do.  A buddy told me that a Ranger will meet you at the ramp if you call'em and sell you a license there (never heard of that before, though).  Wal-mart in Marshall might be your next best bet. Maybe somebody knows of a place in Waskom or Hallsville that is closer to I-20
Bulldog                                          Member
                                                    B.A.S.S.

docwaldo

hwy 43 is not at exit 610.  it is at exit 614 (the martin creek exit).  i prefer to go to the exit 610--justs 4 miles past the martin creek exit and then just go south.  if you get off at 614 exit then you have to go south, then go west and then go north about 250 yards to get to the launch.  but either way will get ya there.  hwy 43, andthe hwy that is at exit 610 run aprallel and then i-20 and a road about 4 miles south of i-20 make a big rectangle or sqauare.  if youi will get off at exit 610 and go south you cannot miss it.  just that simple.  if youi make it to the stop sign, you went about 250 yards too far. 

i hear that they are catching some fish sight fishing.  big un's too.  i try to concentrate on water between 64 and 68 degrees this time of year.  depending on how much they are runing the generators, that may effect where that temp water is located. 

good luck and if you want a license, you can call 1-800-tx-lic-4-u  and they can process your order over the phone and youi never have to deal with the idiots at wally world.  they give you a number and then mail you your license.  enjoy

doc 

Siggy by DundeeMike

kevin sheppard

Quote from: mmberry72 on December 28, 2003, 12:33:25 AM
Fished Perky on 12/27 with good numbers but not much size.
Fished the main lake point grass beds and caught fish on
variety of lures including carolina rig/drop shot and texas.
Best action was on suspending black/orange rogue fished just
over the grass. Also caught fish on red traps pulling traps thru
grass.  All in all...pretty good day just no size. Thought I would
add Perky to the Texas list because I know a lot of you are on
the lake...I was witness th that today.  Let me know how you
did...

MMBerry hey im kevin my sn shshshsheppard im 13 almost 14 me and my friend dj are realy big fanshe is 19 he tought me how to fish for bass. and how to be callm. we have been trying to get a bout but i dont no.  maybe if you get this we can hoke up i live in plano tx. i live and sleep to fish

docwaldo

kevin,

this is doc and i am in shreveport, la.  i know how you feel.  when i was younger, i lived to fish as well.  if you are looking to get a boat, start out small.  i am 35 and i have paid my dues in the jon boats that leaked and only had a trolling motor that barely worked.  what makes fishing fun is not having a 22 foot bass boat with a 225 on it.  it is that unbridled love for fishing that makes this sport so great. 

there are some great lakes over there to fish.  i have fished several of them over in dallas.  lewisvile, lavon, lakes like that.

i encourage you to start keeping a journal.  write down every detail youi can think of.  that will help you really learn this sport.  keep chunking and grinding and youi will get this fishing thing down.

drop it deep and yank it hard.  .  .

doc   ~c~ ~c~

Siggy by DundeeMike

bulldog

Doc, you are right and I thought that it was but I second guessed myself.  Is that 3251? it is just past the exit to tatum and it goes right by Brandy branch.  I gonna try this link to see if it works. 

http://maps.yahoo.com/py/maps.py?&country=us&uz=75670&city=Marshall&state=TX&mag=7

Click on the center of the map to get a closer view, then find 3251 between Marshall and Longview and click on it to get a good view of the lake

Good luck
                                                    B.A.S.S.

MotherNature

I made your link clickable so it is easier to check. Hope you got to where you were going ;)

.·´¯`·.><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

bulldog

Thanks Laurie, I have also added a update to that map as well. you can use it to find other lakes around here as well. :-*
                                                    B.A.S.S.

MotherNature

Thanks Bulldog... I hope that we get a chance to fish some of the Texas lakes this Spring :)

.·´¯`·.><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

docwaldo

Siggy by DundeeMike

bulldog

Doc- Proves the old saying...2 heads are better than 1 ~b~

B.A.S.S.

bass11.11

I fished it about a week ago and already saw fry in big brown clouds with a small male on guard, Hope they all make it!  Fishing was slow.

texlwedge

Hey,
I live on Lake Livingston, but have relatives in Jefferson. How do I get to Perky's from there? My nrother-in-law wants to fish there and I have read up on it as much as I can find on the net. We usually fish the Cypress outside of Smithland. Any help you can give would be appreciated.
A bad day on the lake beats any day at my office!
Member B.A.S.S.   ABA Chapter 119
Pro Staff Deep South Rods
Pro Staff Minda Lures
Pro Staff Azuma Fishing KaRu Lures

bass11.11

Take I-20 west of Marshall about 5mins and exit at fm 3251 and go south for about 5miles and look for the sign.  It is a public ramp and the road down to it sucks!!  The water is Gin clear so use light line.   :)

texlwedge

I'm hearing more and more about this lake, but where in the H... is it? I know it's outside of Marshall someplace. A little help?
texlwedge
A bad day on the lake beats any day at my office!
Member B.A.S.S.   ABA Chapter 119
Pro Staff Deep South Rods
Pro Staff Minda Lures
Pro Staff Azuma Fishing KaRu Lures

d.branch3

Powell Rods.