Braided Line

Started by Ron Fogelson, January 27, 2005, 08:37:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Fogelson

Why is it that braided line cuts in on its self so bad?  Do all braids do this or are some better then others?

bass1cpr

Fogy it does happen alot with braided line. Try putting more tension on the line when your spooling it up this helps. Spooling it up really tight. It takes longer to spool this way but that should help your problem.
A fish a day keeps postal away. See fishing is relaxing.  Member B.A.S.S.  Illinois B.A.S.S. Federation Nation

bassadict69

I recently tried the Power Pro on my worm rod. I did not like it at all. I usually did good to flip it 5 feet because the line had cut into itself on the reel. Not to mention losing quite a few fish on the hookset because the line would break.

Shawn spooled some up a couple of weeks ago. He hasn't had any trouble & loves it.  :-\ :-\

Ron Fogelson

Because it cuts in on it self do you recomend using it with a baitcaster or openface, does it matter?

Fishaholic

I have been using braided line for 30 years or more...and yes, some braids are better than others...but, bass1cpr is correct, spooling it up tighter initially is extremely helpful later on...the only problems with braids that I've come across is that some cast like a dream and others really inhibit the length of your cast.

Ron Fogelson

I like using braids for fishing pad fields & around boat docks & bridge pillions.  So most of what I do is pitch.  Its not as long as casting but close, so the trouble for me isn't on the spool-up as I do, do it tightly, its after several pitches and then I get a slight to heavy snag on the retrieve and the line sinks in & then on the next pitch/cast I have to throw out in the open until I get to the part that's stuck & then pull it out by hand and then real back in & then pitch to the next spot I want to fish.  Just a lot of work to deal with & was wondering if say some of the new round braids that are coated are better then say Spiderwire that I used in the past.

bass1cpr

i like braids better for spinning but here's a little trick if your not making long casts with braids. Let out some line maybe double the length of your longest pitch, take a peace of tape and lay it across the spool lay another on the opposite side now wind up your line. When it tries to dig in it will only go as deep as the tape hope this helps. I only do this on bait casters. Abu Garcia use to have a cross wrap spooling design on some of their reels which were said to work better with the braidw when they first came out. I'ts not reall necessary now days with the new braids out on the market. I use to use Raptor braid on my carolina rigs. It's a micro dynema line the same as fireline without the coating makeing it more supple. I'm not sure they stil make it but Power Pro is very similar to Raptor only it 's a spectra fiber.
A fish a day keeps postal away. See fishing is relaxing.  Member B.A.S.S.  Illinois B.A.S.S. Federation Nation

Fishaholic

Yeah I'm using Spider Wire now, but I'm not too satisfied with it, doesn't cast well until I'm able to get that coating off of it...a supple line casts and handles better than the wiry stuff.

OHbassaholic

The Stren SuperBraid is reported as top-notch.  I had the chance to field test it just prior to it's release to the public.  Not having used braided lines prior to that opportunity, I found that it reduced my pitching distance quite a bit.  I found out later that once the coating wore off, it casts very well.  I use it mostly for flipping and short distance pitching into thick cover and lillypads.

As I was reading the posts from the last couple of days I was also reminded about the electric tape trick.  But I see that bass1cpr beat me to the post.  It does work quite well.  I have made it a habit to tell that little gem to every customer I have that is getting a first baitcaster or any veteran anglers that have deep bird's nest challenges.  Heh!  I even do this with our demo combos in the store...

Fishaholic

Thanks for the tip on the line, but due to the fact that I'm basically a shore-bound angler, I'm still looking for the perfect braid that allows long accurate casts right after it's been spooled...It takes much too long to lose the coating on some of the braids.

Years ago, Cortland made such a braid...it was a chamoflaged braid too, so it worked well not only in stained water, but clear water as well...loved it, it was supple right off of the spool and strong...I once snagged my bait onto a 12' long log that was stuck in the mud and was able with the help of a friend to pull the log to where I was standing and retrieve my bait - and that was with 10 lb. test line...awesome.

bass1cpr

That Cortland line was Dacron line. I also used it to wrap the handle of my Que Stick when I was in high school. It was a flat sided line as most dacron lines were. PowerPro is a good casting Super Braid Fisaholic. No coating on it and it's a spectra fiber like spider wire.

Fishaholic

OK bass1cpr I'd like to try that PowerPro stuff out...could you tell me who makes it and where I can get my hands on some? :)

FisherMOM

I LOVE Power Pro!  I got it at Gander MTN!
I looked it up...seems it's made by... Power Pro  :)
I use 20 pound test.

LOVE IT!  It got me some nice bass that were getting tangled in the muck and gunk this spring  After losing 2 nice fish, I spooled up with Power Pro.. WAM!  I am holding a NICE BASS!

and another....

and another....

and some carp too

Even David, my husband caught a carp on Power Pro.. he says it's the best
line in the world!  haha.. He doesn't fish much, but I agree, it's great!

Even if you've been fishing for 3 hours
and haven't gotten anything except
poison ivy and a sunburn,
you're still better off than the worm.

Ron Fogelson

I might have to try this Power Pro stuff FM, nice looking fish.   ~c~

OK, my question still remains unanswered, is there a brand of braid that doesn't cut in on it self?  I love the strength it has & most I've tried casts comparably or better then mono (IMHO) but I hate that I have to strip it out after every hook set or snag.  I understand the concept of the tape & will try that next time on the water, but if my Stren mono did that I wouldn't put up with it & would change brands.  So why do we have to put up with it with braid? Or I'm I just the only one that is having this much trouble?

Fogy

BIG PAPA

Fogy I have not found a braid that does not do that. There may be one out there though.
But as I only manage to set the hook a few times a day it never has been a problem. ;D

papa ~an~

cmegee

somebody better call the  PoPo
somebody done stole the spot off of Fishermom's red fish :roll2:

steve1

The suggestions are good about making it go on tighter, but we have used every braid made, and recently they have changed the manufacturing process for some braids and they are way better than before. We use 2 types with good success. McCoy and Stren Superbraid. We also use P-Line in various combinations from Fluro to co polymer, etc.. and found the PLINE to be good as well.

Coonhound

I only fish Abu Garcia Ambassador reels...with the way they wind my SpiderWire, i've never really had this problem.

When i spool it, i spool about 1/4 of the reel with some backer line...generally 10lb. "whatever is laying around" line. When i start with the SpiderWire, i make sure i spool it as tight as i can, making sure the line guide (the fairlead, for lack of better word) trails the line all the way across the spool in both directions, and at a pretty good angle. IMO, the more i can get the line to spool at an angle perpendicular to the wrap before it, the stronger a base it creates.

Really, the only time i have a problem with it digging in to itself (if this is even the same problem y'all are having), is when i hang up and attemp to break off or straighten my hook.

That crap is like winch cable!

Anyway, I generally use the 10/50 SpiderWire in moss green. Works like a champ for me...love it particularly for top water, so when 'feeling' for the fish before i set the hook i don't have the stretch of mono that lets good strikes go by.
Matt
"People sleep peaceably in their bed at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" Credited to George Orwell
Nervous B's Custom Hand Pours
Pics of Fish

cmegee

has anyone had fading problems,
fixed this. Dip the line in black spike-it dye. works all day long...

fishing nut

Didn't care for Stren super braid, i used it for about a month and it was nothing but trouble, it knotted up real easy when retrieving with little tension it also had that cutting problem. Power pro is much better and it is the only braid i use. The only negative is that it is a little noisy when going through the guides and onto the reel but no biggie. I have not had a "cutting" problem with this line unless i try to cut it with scissors. i like the 6-20 on spinning but prefer mono on bait casting.

billfromtx

I've tried almost every brand of braid out there and found the Stren Super Braid to be about the best of the bunch.  I use the big stuff, 30#-60#,and all the braids cut into thereselves when you hang up but Stren seems to do it the least... ;)

Bill 8)

OHbassaholic

I'm just wondering, doesn't anybody else use a length of dowel or something similar to wrap their line around when trying to pull at a hang-up?  I carry a 6" piece in my tackle bag just for this and have never had a problem with my lines cutting into the spool. 
Why would anyone want to put that extra stress on a rod and reel? 

DJ

Quote from: OHbassaholic on March 23, 2005, 08:15:37 PM
doesn't anybody else use a length of dowel or something similar to wrap their line around when trying to pull at a hang-up?  I carry a 6" piece in my tackle bag just for this and have never had a problem with my lines cutting into the spool. 
Why would anyone want to put that extra stress on a rod and reel? 

Ahhh haaa  ........   Great idea, that could be the total answer.  But tell me,  what's the best knot to use on braid  ? 
Retired Prophet

bass1cpr

A palomar is the most used knot for braided line there is a double palomar but I can'texplain how to tie it. I use an improved clinch knot with an overhand knot tied in the tag end after cinching it down. If it does slip then the overhand knot will stop any further slipping.

DJ

I am getting the feeling that doubling the braided line before threading it thru the eye of a lure is a better idea.   The Improved Clinch, which I have always used,   doesn't do this.  Unless someone comes up with something better, I think that I am going to start using the Palomar.

Thanks for your input.

> DJ 
Retired Prophet