Braided Line

Started by Ron Fogelson, January 27, 2005, 08:37:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bass1cpr

An improved clinch passes thru the eye of the hook tiwce also. 
A fish a day keeps postal away. See fishing is relaxing.  Member B.A.S.S.  Illinois B.A.S.S. Federation Nation

billfromtx

I always tie a polymar with great success...Haven't tried another knot.

Bill 8)

Tim Kelly

The answer with braided line is to use a diameter similar to the mono you would have used in a similar situation. Braid tends to dig in because we use a lower diameter and expect to be able to pull on it as hard as the stated breaking strength, so the finer line digs in to itself. If you go for 12lb mono, use 50lb braid, you get all the sensitivity advantages and none of the hassles. It is important to manage your line well on the spool to. Wind it on reasonably tightly and make sure there are no half unpicked backlashes underneath it while you're fishing.
To pull for a break either wrap the line round a dowel, landing net handle etc and pull or wrap it round a boat cleat and back off. If you can avoid letting the wraps of line cross over each other the line should give at the bait or snag, or more likely the hook will open up.
Tim

www.lureanglers.co.uk

Mike Cork

very good point Tim ~c~ I had never thought about the fact that the line is quite a bit thinner and of course it would dig into it's self easier :-*

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Pferox

I.ve experienced the same problems y'all have with the cuttin in when I was using baitcasters, the dowel trick works well, I carry one of those cuttin forcepts and the padded handle works well for this, another thing that is important is not to over do it with the drag, too much drag will cut in also.
I have yet to experience any problems with a spinning reel, I wonder if braid was origionally designed for these reels and baitcasters were an after thought.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

Mike Cork

That's a good idea to carry a small dowel with you  :-* That will definately be in the boat next time out.

I agree all the issues with Braid seem to be with Baitcasters and spinning reels do seem to be a way around all of them :-\

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

OHbassaholic

There's a cool gizmo some of you might like to see for spinning reels and braided or super lines at superspools.com.

Mike, I'm surprised you hadn't picked up on that dowel trick from posts I made in the contest threads before.  I can definitely attest to the dowel helping with the digging in problem but the main reason for my picking up the idea was the deep cuts in my hand from trying to pull on hang-ups.  ~xyz

Pferox

Ohiobassaholic, that superspool is a neat idea.  :-*  I agree with you on the cuts, I forget to get my dowell at least once a fishing trip. When salt water fishin, I am constantly reminded about my mistake when I put my hand in the bait bucket.  :o
Another thing that you have to insure is that the guides have no snags at all, especially the tip, I have been thinking about changing my rod tips to titanium, it is a little costly but I think well worth the effort.
I won't mention names, ~shhh  but a fishin buddy damaged a tip on a rod, and it looked and felt ok, but it had a small chip in it that I didn't see, when the rod bent under pressure from a fish, the line cut off at the tip cleaner than I could do it with scissors, wow was I surprised at how such a little thing can have such a big effect.  :o
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

OHbassaholic

I haven't been on that site in quite some time.  Are those spools only available for the rear drag shimanos still? 

OHbassaholic

Yep, looks like two reels only.  Solstace 2000RG and the Solstace 4000RG by SHIMANO.  When I last spoke with Harry Cribb the inventor about a year ago, he was hoping to expand to other reels.  Guess he didn't get to it yet.

Pferox

I was lookin at that, looks like applyin that to a front drag reel might get kind of complicated since pressure on the drag would also put pressure on the whole assembly.
It is a good idea tho, I'm not much for rear drag reels, hope he can get it straightned out and applied to some of the other brands of front drag reels.
Oh yea I actually had a palomar knot fail on 20lb vanish today. It was the 4th cat I pulled in. It was funny cause as I was bringin that cat in I said to myself that I will retie after this one. I didn't loose the fish cause it broke as I already had him on the bank.
The failure was at the loops around the hook. I started retying after every 3rd fish and had no further problems. This particular lake is awsome, the cats fight and jump like bass, so there is alot of stress on the line, its been that way ever since I have started to fish there.

bigbro

i only use spinning reels and have braided line on all but three of them and i like power pro best but the problem i am having is that after about 100 cast the whole spool loosen up and when i set the hook or pull on a snag the line comes off the reel without the bail turning so i can crank and crank all day and will not be able to put any line back on the reel i have never had that problem with mono

Pferox

Big bro, are u using mono backing? You also have to spool it extremely tight. I use couple of feet of mono tied to the spool and then to the braid, then wind it on the spool, then it dosen't spin. When it starts to loosen up make a ling cast, put a little tension on the line and reel it in, all better.

bigbro

thanks, i will try tieing on mono first.  I talked to a friend and he saie that he wraps electrical tape on his spool first and the braded line bites into it and won't slip i think i will try that too

Pferox

I have never tried the tape fix but know a few who have and like it. I don't like the glue being that close to my reel guts. Ya have to be a little more conscious of your drag too, otherwise the line can cut into the spool and negatively effect casting performance. I think it is worth the investment, I have a reel which I just checked and it has power pro on it for over 2 years, and still goin strong, cant beat that.

OHbassaholic

I finally got around to spooling up a couple reels with Power Pro.  It casts like a dream!  I've had 2 outings with them and am very satisfied with the casting results for both casting and pitching. 
I still have the same opinion about needing to be careful what types of cover and structure you are fishing around while in tournament conditions.  When it comes to slowing down to retrieve a lure that you cannot break off, it's time wasted.  I will continue to use the Power Pro for practice sessions and when fishing lillypads during the T.
IMHO, the Power Pro casts much better than Stren Superbraid with the same abrasion resistance and other good attributes. 

Fishaholic

I was talked into trying the PowerPro line by bass1cpr. Initially, I had problems with the line breaking too easily, but now that approximately 20 feet or so of line has been removed from the spool, I haven't had any problems whatsoever...in fact, today I got my first backlash in 8 trips out with the stuff...it's super strong, sensitive, great casting (I can easily cast a weightless worm 50 feet) and it sheds the water nicely before it hits the reel.

I picked up some LockT line to try, but now that the kinks seem to be worked out with the PowerPro, I have no reason to change.

OHbassaholic

Breaking too easily!?!  You must not be using the 20 and 30 pt that I have been.  Either that or you are built like Arnold Swartzakitty.

I have seen others saying that braid is easier to pick out backlashes.  I agree.  I had a bit of a time getting the tension set just right while using this stuff...

Fishaholic

OHbassaholic...it's not breaking anymore, not since I took 20 feet off the spool.

I'm using the 30 lb. test line...and as to the backlash, my first was today while casting into a 30 mph wind...one backlash in 60 hours of fishing isn't too bad.

I make it a habit to adjust my spool tension for every lure change, even if it's the same type of lure (adjustments can waiver), and if I would have adjusted my magnets a little stronger today, I probably still wouldn't have had a backlash.

Pferox

That is true guys, but when it backlashes, it don't fool around, and is real tuff to clear out it bein that supple and thin and all.
My buddy won't use it, he says I am fishin with dental floss.  lo

Fishaholic

Haven't had any problems with that yet, so I can't comment...but I picked up a few "solving backlash problems" hints since I've been here and am no longer really complaining about the backlash problems.

OHbassaholic

Quote from: Fishaholic on May 09, 2005, 06:48:12 PM
OHbassaholic...it's not breaking anymore, not since I took 20 feet off the spool.

You have my curiosity up.  What do you attribute the original 20 feet breaking off to?

Fishaholic

I have no idea, but it could have been a defect caused in the line when it was put on the spool...perhaps a worn component in the manufacturers equipment...can only hypothesize on that.

Pferox

Fish, I had the same thing happen on end of spools on both power pro and fireline, but luckily, I noticed it while spooling, it has a slight diffenence in color too. When I looked real close it looked like it was smashed flat. I was going to inspect it with the microscope at work but never did.

OHbassaholic

This is the type of thing I'm sure the manufacturer would like to be made aware of.  It needs fixed!