Best rod and reel set up for fishing rivers in Texas

Started by Travis Voskamp, February 01, 2005, 11:52:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Travis Voskamp

I was wanting to spend some time fishing the rivers this year for small mouth an some large mouth, I was wondering what one might deem the best baitcast reel and rod type or length combo to use.  There will be alot of shorter casts from canoes and flipping from the banks and getting into tight spots.  What do you think.

Thanks, Travis V.

BIG PAPA

Well according to how much you want to spend.
In the 200 dollar range I would go with a Curado and a medium heavy All Star 6-6 rod or 6 if you prefer shorter rods.
Under that BPS has several good combos around 125 or so the Extreme combo is pretty nice and the 2004 Rick Clunn reels for 69.95 is a very good deal.

papa :)

bulldog

It depends on what river you are on... :-\

On the Big Cypress Bayou in Jefferson, A medium/heavy Spinning reel from the bank.  A medium outfit from the canoe.  Usually a 6' outfit will be good all around for bank and Canoe in tight quarters.  You said Smallies so I'm guessin' that you would need smaller diameter lines but strong like copolymer. I like McCoy Lines.  Don't fish for smallies though in East Texas.  It would hard to fish a Baitcasting outfit from a canoe effectively.  
Bulldog                                          Member
                                                    B.A.S.S.

Richard Cooper

I am from north carolina but i have done some fishing in that part of texas, and i believe that no matter where you are fishing, if it is for bass, it is really hard to beat a shimano curado on a kistler rod.  The shimano reel is a great reel that will hold up for a very long time.  Kistler rods make the most sensitive rods on the market, and they feel great in your hand, i really love this set up, it is all i use.
Richard Cooper

Kistler Rods, Albackore Tackle Storage, Kidlizard Bait Company, Tripple Fish Lines

rudder

If money is no object I'd go w/a Diawa TDZ reel and a Kistler he70mc. It takes fishing to a whole new level 8)
GIT R DONE