line?

Started by casey3535, February 01, 2005, 10:22:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

casey3535

Hey guys I'm setting up a new rig, I got a 7ft med hev st croix cranking stick, a low gear ratio ambassdor reel, just wondering what brand and size line you guys recommend to throw only bandit 300 series crankbaits, that is all that will ever be thrown on this rig.

bassadict69

I'm not sure about for that particular crankbait, but if you look around here in the casting deck section you should be able to get alot of info on different lines. There are several posts about everyones favorite line.

bass1cpr

To get the full depth of that crankbait use 10 pound line. Line size has a lot to do with depth. Each size you go up you will looose about a foot of depth. Small diamater line will get you more depth, A thin dia. 12 # line will run about the same as standard 10# line. These are called ultrathin lines but are often not as stong.
A fish a day keeps postal away. See fishing is relaxing.  Member B.A.S.S.  Illinois B.A.S.S. Federation Nation

Steve Barnett

One rule I use: I like several brands but the main thing is to make sure the line is fresh.  If it is a line that most people in an area use, it is likely the stores have to re-stock often, therefore you are getting new line.
Never buy line that is on clearance, you are gonna get old line.
Old line + lost fish = Sad Day on the Water  :'(

Steve Barnett
Booneville MS
Steve Barnett
Booneville MS

Mike Cork

That is a very good point Steve ~c~

Casey3535, take into consideration the type of cover you will be fishing and how deep you want the bait to run. If you are fishing heavy cover you may want to go with 12-14 but if you are going to be fishing open water 10 would be the way to go and you might be able to get away with 8 pound. And like always I am a big believer in BPS Excel (or Big Game)

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

casey3535

Thanks for the info , I guess 10 pound is good for me, mostly all open water fishing around here.

Mike Cork

After you get to play with this a bit, let us know what worked best for you :-\

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Ron Fogelson

casey3535,

What did you decide to try?  Is it working out for you?

Scott

I throw a lot of Bandit 300 series. Spring Craw is my favorite. I throw it on Berkley Transition 12lb. I fish around a lot of cover. The line doesn't have a lot of stretch and I love the sensitive feel. I can feel it ticking the grass and any little change in the wobble of the lure. Plus, being a flourocarbon, the line sinks and will help you get the depth you lose by going up in line size. Like everybody else said, 10lb is probably the best for your situation. Good luck with whatever line you choose and let us know how it goes.