Anti-reverse slipping

Started by Will, April 06, 2007, 08:37:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will

I have an Quantum Accurist 501PT that I have been fishing with for 3 or 4 years now. I have had it cleaned by a professional 3 times. Recently I have had some problems with the anti-reverse, I think. One example of what is happening is today I was throwing a crankbait and I would get tangled in some grass so I would pop the rod trying to get the grass off and the spool would spin freely causing a backlash. Do I need a new anti-reverse feature, to much oil, not enough oil?
Fish For Free! www.fishforfree.com
Fish For Free 2! www.fishforfree2.com
ESOX Rods! www.esoxfishingrods.com

Mike Cork

Causes a backlash? Is the reel handle spinning when the spool lets loose? If not then you have a pinion gear problem. Usually when this happens the reel handle will spin also but usually won't cause a back lash, then it would be and anti reverse issue.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Will

The spool will let loose when I am reeling and when I am not reeling, but it only causes loops when I am not reeling say to set the hook. When the spool lets loose the handle can also turn backwards if that helps any?
Fish For Free! www.fishforfree.com
Fish For Free 2! www.fishforfree2.com
ESOX Rods! www.esoxfishingrods.com

Mike Cork

Hard to tell for sure with out looking at it but I would say that your one way bearing is fouling up. You could try adding some grease to it but probably needs replaced. Another thought is that the One Way Bearing sleeve isn't seated properly and you will have to tear it down to find out if that is the case :-\

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service