Old shimano reels

Started by -Shawn-, March 27, 2007, 08:33:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

-Shawn-

Mike, I have went digging in the shed for some reels to cover me while I slowly replace everything,  Well ok I will admit it my wife discovered how much better it was to have multiple rods and cabbaged on to some of mine. lo the reels I found were an old shimano b-100 and a shimano P1500. The best I can remember the b-100 was bought around 1982. are there still parts availabe for this reel and can you supertune these? Ive also got some abu tgc5000c's that i won and I dont think I have ever used would need some tuning. what do ya think?  Shawn ;)

Mike Cork

On the shimano's we are talking about reels that are 25 years old. Getting parts would be very difficult. Do you know what parts you need? I guess we would need to start with what kind of problems they are having and I can go from there. A lot of times a good cleaning can get these older reels back into working order.

As far as the 5000c's again if they are working a good cleaning will do them wonders.

Super Tuning the shimano's won't be worth the cost and the 5000's are set up a little different, the effects of super tuning them aren't as dramatic but still worth it in my opinion. 

If there are no broken parts then cleaning and a fresh lubrication should have your reels working just fine :-*

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

-Shawn-

thats what I was afraid of, the p-1500 should be fine with a cleaning the B100 is a little stiff might just need cleaning or maybe a bearing. the abu's are clean, right out of the box never been used, the only reel issue with them is drag setting sems like you really got to crank on the star to get any real drag pressure.  I was just digging through the box of junk and I also found a Lews speed spool.  :-*maybe I should Take this stuff on the antique road show  lo. and I just found four old cedar plugs still in the original package that I didnt know I had. I had better put those up for safe keeping. thx shawn

Mike Cork

The B100 being stiff could be a host of things, however if everything works but is just stiff then there's a good chance it just needs re lubricated and the bearings flushed and re oiled.

The 5000's if the drag is the only problem it's probably because they have set so long and the drag disks have either been flatted or that lubrication from the reel has gotten on them.

Keep digging, you are finding some need stuff :-*

Cork's Reel Service

-Shawn-

Ok Mike thanks, I will get these sent off to ya in the next week or so. thx shawn

-Shawn-

Mike, I have one to add to the deal I have received a bps pro qualifier in with a bunch of assorted bags of plastics and hooks I got off Ebay
  the real needs a new sideplate and the drag seems pretty worn other than that it seems to be in pretty decent shape.  can you get the parts for these? shawn

Mike Cork

I can order parts from BPS. Having schematic would make it easy to make sure I got the right parts but BPS said they are going to work with me on them ;)

So yes I can get parts for it, just might take a bit longer.

Cork's Reel Service