Rod Length For Skipping?

Started by grplnxprt, February 14, 2005, 09:51:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grplnxprt

Is it easier to skip a tube/worm with a shorter or longer rod?

Would you take a 6' M or a 6'6" M?

Is Medium good for skipping?

greenkeeperlt

I tend to like shorter rods like 6 ft but I like them mh, I feel more accurate with this set up. Also I think I feel strikes on the fall better with a stiffer rod.
I FISH....
THEREFORE I AM!

Mike Cork

I generally like a longer fishing rod, but when it comes to skipping a bait under a dock or tree limb I am ussually more acurate with a shorter fishing rod. With that said I don't carry a smaller rod for skipping if the opertunity arises I just go with what every I am holding. Now if it becomes part of a specific patter I will get a shorter rod.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Steve Barnett

It all depends on how tall you are.  I know a guy that skipps with a 7' rod but he is 6'11" tall.  For me personally, I skip with a 6' rod but I am only 5'10" tall. Also it depends what kind of cover you are working, if you can place yourself on the cover the way you want to or if you have to work all sorts of angles to properly reach your target.

Good Luck
Steve Barnett
Booneville MS
Steve Barnett
Booneville MS

OHbassaholic

I also prefer shorter rods for close skipping, 6' in both casting and spinning.  I noticed more control and accuracy using the shorter rods.

A standard IM8 with a fast action and medium power works well for 3/8 oz or higher.  I do better with IM7 mod/fast or moderate action and medium power for lighter than 3/8 oz.

When using a baitcaster, I take some off the tension and add more brake for skipping.  When going weightless on the lure, it's strictly spinning tackle for me.

greenkeeperlt

On reel selection I go strictly spinning for skipping or I only get 1 cast every 20 minutes >:(
I FISH....
THEREFORE I AM!

Ron Fogelson

I am just learning the art of skipping with a baitcaster.  I'm 6'3 & prefer a 6 or 6.6 rod while attempting this.  My open-face style is side arm & I can skip anything under a dock all the way to the back or from one side to the other.  I mean anything, jigs worms buzzbaits crankbaits (a bit tougher) and spinners.

Have fun & just except the back-lashes as there will be many when you 1st start.  ;D

bass1cpr

Fogy the term is Professional overruns.   lo
A fish a day keeps postal away. See fishing is relaxing.  Member B.A.S.S.  Illinois B.A.S.S. Federation Nation

Eric99

If the term is proffesional over-run. I have completed a marathon learning how to skip. I'm getting there but I waste a lot of line. (kinking it all up)

I use a seven foot cranking stick (BPS) and an extreme 6:3/1 reel. The tip on the fast action rod lets me load up in a short snapping cast while holding it low. It whips right in the brush though.

Eric
"WATER WALKER"

OHbassaholic

Give a shorter rod a try Eric99.  You might be surprised with the results.  I know I was.  I got much better control now and drastically less amount of "professional overruns".

Falcon104

Me Personally I like a 5'6" med power rod for skipping under and around docks......I have a BPS Extreme that I use.

Falc

mitchell

I use a roll cast technique that Fogy taught me when I use a baitcaster. Most rods are 6' -6'6'' MH. Took about 2 trips to get it but it sure did pay off.

Mitch
Take a kid fishing, the smiles are priceless!!!

http://www.carolinabaits.com

Tritonrob

I skip with a 6-6 rod.  A 6 footer or smaller is easier to learn with

Fishaholic

in every forum there has to be a maverick...

with that said, my preferred rod for skipping under a pier is a 5' fast taper spinning rod/reel...don't like backl....oops professional overruns...my alternate rod for this technique is a more limber rod but it's only 4.5' long...but I can toss even the tiniest of baits back under there...cuz even under the piers the fish sometimes want a smaller bait.