Why KVD uses Fluorocarbon When Cranking

Started by Swede, June 26, 2007, 04:24:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swede

Fluorocarbon is making a big difference in my crankbait fishing. I've won two Elite Series tournaments this season using crankbaits (Strike King Series 5 and 6 lures), and both times fluorocarbon line has been a factor.

I use Bass Pro Shops XPS fluorocarbon line for most of my crankbait fishing these days for several reasons. First of all, it's denser than water, so it sinks. This allows my crankbaits to get a little deeper than they would with monofilament. If I could get a bait to 15 feet with 10-pound-test monofilament line, I can get the same bait just as deep with 14-pound-test fluorocarbon. And if I scale back to 10-pound fluorocarbon, I can get the same bait down two or three feet deeper.

A second reason I like fluorocarbon for my crankbaiting is the feel it gives me. Because it sinks, it gives me a better, straighter connection to my bait. And because it has less stretch than monofilament, I have a better feel for what my bait is doing.

That improved feel isn't just important when you're working a lure through cover. It's also good when the bite is really subtle. If you're using fluorocarbon, you have a better chance of detecting those strikes and catching more bass.

Those are common reasons for preferring fluorocarbon, but there are others.

Fluorocarbon is also very abrasion resistant — more so than monofilament.

I also think I my crankbaits deflect off rocks and stumps and other cover better when I'm using fluorocarbon. This leads to more strikes.

Finally, I lose fewer crankbaits with fluorocarbon. Part of that is because of the better feel fluorocarbon gives me, but another part is that I can better get the lure loose by "bowstringing."

If you haven't tried bowstringing, it's easy. Just tighten up on a snagged crankbait, pull your rod back so that it arcs like a bow and grab the line where it comes off the rod tip. Give it a good pull to put more tension on the line, and then let it go quickly. The sudden slack in the line will usually free the crankbait.

http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/bassmaster/fishingtips/news/story?page=b_story_sooner_vandam
My wish, for you, is that this life becomes all that you want it to,
Your dreams stay big, your worries stay small.
Rascal Flatts

bclemms

topcat

Thanks Swede for that post...I all ways use Fluorocarbon for crank baits and I can see the difference in my crank bait hook ups it has increased a lot since this time two years ago........

Topcat

islandbass

That's a great read, Swede! I use FC for drop shotting and I too have noticed an increase in hook ups.  BPS FC line fared quite well in TT's FC show down.
ARX - IB's Daughter on BC Reels:
"Papi! I like this reel. It is so much easier to use than the other one (the spinning reel) and it is more fun to use too." Now all I can say to that is this;
"That's my little girl!"

Swede

I use mono, but after reading this and replies I think I will try it out.  Got some of the P-Line Fluoro Clear I will put on.  Thanks!!
Rascal Flatts

mlakrid

Let me know how that flouroclear works Swede, I tried P-Line CXX and was NOT impressed at ALL...

The line has WAY too much memory and any line which needs to be changed after your third day on the water isnt worth the money spent when you have to replace it every third time out,might as well spend $20 a spool on something much better and have it last much longer...

Just my $.02...

Mike A!
A Bad day on the water is still better than the best day at work!!@!!

ss454

What's funny is he said he could use 14lb FC and got down as far as 10lb mono then he said he could use 10lb FC and get down 2-3ft farther...sounds like diameter of the line has more to do with it than the weight.
If you build a ramp...I will come...

Swede

Quote from: ss454 on June 27, 2007, 04:24:36 PM
What's funny is he said he could use 14lb FC and got down as far as 10lb mono then he said he could use 10lb FC and get down 2-3ft farther...sounds like diameter of the line has more to do with it than the weight.

Probably a combination of the two does the trick.  Do you use fluorocarbon for CBing?  How has it worked for you?
Rascal Flatts

topcat

Diameter of the line has every thing to do with the depth a crank will run.......

(LINE SIZE IS KEY)  the heavier the line the shallower the crankbait will run........the lighter the line the deeper the crankbait will run.......you can use line size to determine and fine tune the running depth of your baits. lighter line like 8-10 pound test can help a bait achieve maximum depth........while using heavy line can keep your crankbait riding over heavy grass. There is a 1 ½ foot difference for each line size change......learned this in a workshop several years ago in a bass siminar......hope this helps

Topcat

Swede

Quote from: topcat on June 27, 2007, 06:04:03 PM
Diameter of the line has every thing to do with the depth a crank will run.......

Topcat

Is that true for all types of lines Topcat? 
Rascal Flatts

ss454

Quote from: Swede on June 27, 2007, 06:10:51 PM
Is that true for all types of lines Topcat? 

From my observation is does.  I do SOME of my cranking with 8lb power pro and I can tell you that NOTHING will get deeper than this.  I use Yozuri Hybrid for most of my applications.  It's not as clear as FC but it's a better all around line IMO.
If you build a ramp...I will come...

topcat

Yep thats true for all types of line......

Topcat

Bassinkorea

Great read Swede and even more great reading from the rest of you guys, very interesting and seems to make a lot of sence.  :-* :-*
2020 IBASS Gold - Zone 2 - AOY
2020 IBASS Classic - Winner
2020 IBASS Team Tourney - Winner (with FD)

coldfront

goog points Swede (and congratulations on some good finished there!  I have a lot of respect for the touring pros...you folks put up with a lot of stuff and work harder than I'm willing too... ;)

I can see where FC would be helpful...in lots of applications...but, not so sure FC stretches less than mono...might just seem that way due to the increased density and transmittance of vibration...I think there was a review in a bass magazine a few months back (BassWest USA? Yamamoto's InsideLine?) that compared/contrasted stretch of various monos and flouros...noting very little difference in stretch properties...then again, I've been known (as I get older) to be more and more wrong/mistaken...

As for stretch, doesn't matter that much...sounds like you've found a method/tool that improves your results...and at the end of the day that's the 'big win'...